Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: VirtualDJ Database Tool - Need your suggestions... - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

this program might help you in the developing of yours.. it does pretty much everything you are looking for..
mp3tag it does have the option to write xml files, html, all the id3 versions, text, m3u etc etc.. let me know if it helps.. T

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 11:54 am
tayla wrote :
be great if you could get it to update the mp3 files from the xml database at some point, this is really the only thing left i feel is missing for me currently in vdj.

+1

I also like the export/printout idea. That would make things soooo much easier on my end :)

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 7:52 pm
OK a couple of handy features for me.

Win/Mac Switch:
I have my music stored on an external drive, depending on some venue, job variables I use a a Desktop Windows based PC for Video gigs, at other low key events I work of my MacBook for a small out of the way setup. Sadly making my database work when I plugin to my Mac seems to be a very difficult process because of different file systems.
A tool that could re-create the database for my Mac effortlessly would be a god send!

Error Tool:
Finds all files that cannot be loaded within VDJ.
It then helps you find the file in it's new location (using file information).
Allows you to point it at the correct file and then fix database entry.
Gives option to delete the database entry.

DNP (Do Not Play) / Re-RIP:
Now and again I come across a disaster file. Back in my early ripping days, some files seem to have errors but will still play.
The song starts off fine, then it skips or is missing the end.
This would be helpful if a shortcut, right-click action could be added in VDJ.
When I come across these files, I would mark them with DNP status, then when I go home and run the database tool which will highlight these files for me so I can locate the CD in my library and Re-RIP it.
This would also be handy if you could have other statuses like Re-EDIT, where I want to edit out part of the track or do my own Re-DUB.
Obviously this one needs help with integration from VDJ.

Just a few for starters.

As mentioned before, an export facility would be handy for website.

Ross

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 8:57 am
camoirePRO InfinityMember since 2009

Creating a couple of really simple XSL templates would allow exporting the database XML to plain text or html for printing.

Let me know if there is still any interest in this. It's only about an hour or two of work.

Posted Mon 02 Mar 09 @ 11:59 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
you'll make one or two of the guys on here happy if you do, can see the use for karaoke but not to print out a mp3 list.

Posted Tue 03 Mar 09 @ 2:44 am
It would be REALLY nice if it could read a "dash" deliniated VIDEO file and put the info into the "file info" section in the database...or at least so it would read the file across all the browser columns....i.e:

a video file named Artist-Title-Version-bpm-Year-Key.mp4
would show across the browser columns as Artist | Title | Version | bpm | Year | Key
if you manually fill in the "file infos" it will properly show as above, but manually filling in the thousands of songs is a real pain.
as it is now it shows everything in the file name after the Artist in the title column then adds it's own bpm and key like this:
Artist | Title-Version-bpm-Year-Key | bpm | Key

what would really be best is if VDJ would just read video tags!

Posted Tue 03 Mar 09 @ 2:54 am
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
* Search and replace function to certain field like comment and nowhere else. Search could be also with regular expression.
* ability import database data different output types like HTML, PDF, m3u, etc.
* Abiltity to output only partial database data to different output types, for example html list with artist and title only.
* Ability to output a list from vdj filter.

Posted Tue 03 Mar 09 @ 7:50 am

Hey!!! DJ Ross M

WMP11 Can Fix That Or Try dbPower Amp... WMP 11 If U Set It.

First Under Now Playing Or Library Click For MORE Options

Under Library Tab

1 Check Rename Music Files Using Rip Settings
2 Check Rearrange Music In Rip Folder, Using Rip Settings

Now Under Rip Tab

Click File Name... Button To Set How You Want Your Music Set Up Note: You Don't Have To Check Track Number Cause When U Rip From CDs The Track Number Will Be Under IDtag Info Otherwise it will Be Part Of TagId Under Artist Or Title When There Is Already A Location For Track #. Just Try The Settings Of File Name From A Cd That Is In The WMP11 Data base Via Internet So You Will Know Which Way U Want To Set It Up.

Click Change.. Button To Select The Folder You Want Your Music To Go To. Note: If You Are Storing To A External Or A Drive That Is Not Always Connected When U R Ripping CDs Then Make Sure U Check To See If It Still Says Where You Set It At Otherwise It Will Default Back To The MYMusic Folder That Is On The CPU You Are Using. You Will Have To Click The Change Button Again.

Now With That Setting U Can Go To Each Song Rename It And It Done!!! Need More Info Hit Me Up!

Also I Only Paid About $20 or $30 Dollars For dbpower amp And That Was When It Was Version 10 Now I Have 13 You Pay Once. Its A Good Music Coverter Too. Wma mp3 mp4 acc ogg Etc....

DJ Spinbac... Ive Been Doin This Since 88'

Posted Sat 14 Mar 09 @ 2:04 am
would be cool ....

for those, who rip a lot of promo only videos or anything like that ...
make the DB be able to read/recognize the song number
Song# - Artist - Title.vob
i'm pretty sure most people do it manually or "gave it up"

now, we have "local" DBs for each drive, to be able to "update" DBs
i.e.: i have my original/ripped promos on separate HDDs that i leave home in a save place
i only copy songs that i actually need on a "gig" hdd
sometimes i change cues, rescan bpms etc. on my gig HDD
it would be nice to have an option to choose to update an older DB with the new/changed entries

something like a backup tool
that saves all DBs in one file, like the old version,
but just for backup purpose
with an option to keep all files even if they don't exist anymore or delete them from the DB

Posted Tue 17 Mar 09 @ 2:22 am
@ DJSpinbac

What exactly is that solving for me. Which one of my problems are you trying to help with.
I'm assuming external hard-drive??
I very much doubt that WMP can change the VDJ database to suit Mac and Windows.

Ross

Posted Thu 19 Mar 09 @ 9:41 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I would like to see some way to print "gig playlists" that I put together. So something would have to read the m3u play list file (or xml for iTunes) and make a "clean list" of:

Song - Year - Artist - Album

I am a newbie DJ and do more weddings and events. When meeting new clients I have found that most of them give me little to no direction. Because of this I end up chooseing all of the music for them because I really never get more than 5 solid (or less) requests from my clients. So it would be really helpful to make my playlist (itunes usually goes faster for me) and email or print the list for the client to review.

I have found very quickly that while I am pretty good at playing the music that most people like, some clients were not as into the music that I have chosen, even though the crowd was. They are the bill payer, so I would like to find a happy medium. They may not love every song, but if I can reduce that by giving them a list to review ahead of time, then I will (in theory) make more people happy and hopefully increase my chance for a tip at the end of the night. Plus I feel this list would be an easy way to look more professional and organized, there for I will make a better impression. Good impressions will awalys increase the change of getting referals and positive refferences, further improving my bottom line.

Thanks for all the great work Jeremy. I love the Skin creator tool so far.

Posted Sun 19 Apr 09 @ 1:43 pm
you may have a few standards but you cannot script a night before you even see your audience, letting yourself in for a fall there if they see some tunes and expect to hear them then you dont play those.

Posted Sun 19 Apr 09 @ 2:18 pm
Yea I know, I am just trying some thing new. I know I am kind of opening myself up to other issues. But I figure that they are not going to sit there with the list and check off each song off all night if they are up and dancing. Which they will be doing if I am doing my job correctly, even if I stray from the list. I am more trying to get the clients taste, I will read the crowd and make the rest work on site.

What I have said to clients so far is, I will always take requests. But are these main songs built around your guidelines ok with you (the client)? Then inform them that I may not get to play them all if I get too many requests. Now, I look prepared and they don't have to worry about me as they have phisically seen that the night is planned out and ready (for the most part). All to give the impression that I am not just flying by the seat of my pants, even though as a DJ you really still have too.

Nobody (clients) has told me that was an unreasonable approch so far. Most clients have complimented it. Unfortunatley I have been just taking screen shots of the playlist in iTunes and sending them the .jpg file(s). For some reason clients that I have delt with want a DJ but really don't really want to take the time to meet up and sort out the details together. Most have said "your the professional so....". Not really sure how to take that, but for now this is my approch.

Anbody have a good event contract template or new event questionaire? PM me I am all ears, you are all more professional then I am. I have only done 1 show so far and have 4 more in the next few months.

Posted Wed 22 Apr 09 @ 11:35 am
best wishes for the future... hope everything goes well for you, Paul

Posted Wed 22 Apr 09 @ 1:41 pm
Thanks

Posted Wed 22 Apr 09 @ 4:47 pm
JeremK wrote :
Yes reading the XML database file for correcting information and updating it.

I don't know how to read id3tags in mp3 files for the moment, so it will only handle the XML database.

Is this still going on? :-)

I have two problems I wish I had a simple "database tool" for ;-)

1.) exporting the database. It would be nice to be able to convert all the VDJ .xml fields into a .csv file that we could then import into a database or spreadsheet.. I recently just did this, but only because I have Office 2003, and it took a lot of fooling around.

2.) Converting to a different format. All my videos are in .vob/.mpeg format, but if one day I want to convert them to .mp4 I would have to go thru ALL MY VIDEOS and retag them! (bpm, comments, genres, etc etc).. it would be cool if a "database" tool could move all that information to the new file format (as long as the rest of the filename was exactly the same).. cue points probably couldnt be carried over, but thats allright..

Posted Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 11:43 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Can anyone help me with this?

I rip all my music cd's through iTunes been doing it for years.
When I work and make changes or corrections in iTunes those changes don't appear in VDJ?
I'm using the same Music folder?
I'm now getting unlinked files in my browser and playlist in VDJ
How can I fix this problem?

Thanks
Joey.....

Posted Sat 01 Aug 09 @ 4:14 pm
Include something that can find duplicate files, or incomplete files.

Maybe something asell that can find or cure the infamous "Invalid folder crash", that we still see, i don't know if this is DB related though, lol

Right I'm off

Posted Sun 02 Aug 09 @ 4:39 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
if you're making a database tool in my opinion a very important feature would be:

1. Write song file changes back to PlayList.
2. Write song file changes back to database links
3. Write song file changes back to database.
4. Take song database info put it in access to view and make global changes within field data.
5. Have VDJ write a dated txt doc. of any changes to any song files.
6. Use the dated txt doc. to make physical edit to song file outside VDJ if needed.

Thanks

Joey......

Posted Sun 16 Aug 09 @ 2:10 pm
nsxmarvPRO InfinityMember since 2008
A way to print out my Karaoke song list so that I can put it in a booklet would be nice.

Posted Wed 23 Sep 09 @ 10:38 am
77%