Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: All I see is complaints, is this console worth it??? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

AdonnyHome userMember since 2005
I just wanna know if I'm gonna have all these problems?

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 11:24 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I bought one, and I would not recommend it.

Too expensive for a toy, and not enough build quality, stability, or support to be "pro". It did, however, do enough to get me addicted to DJ'ing as well as VDJ. I guess if you know you just want to spend $250 to tinker around and that's it, then I guess the Herc is your only option. However, if you are thinking you'll get this, use it for a bit and slowly buy more stuff, then don't waste your money. Chances are that as soon as you get some other equipment, the Herc console goes into a box in your closet.

Even though I'll still occasionally tinker with the HDC, I wish I had the $250 back in my pocket to put towards a more useful toy like a sampler, drum machine, or a keyboard.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 1:19 am
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Regarding technical problem and the HDJC, i have never had any. It has always worked perfect for me.

If you need a PRO tool, don't buy it. If you are on a tight budget and/or just want to have something fun to use at home or at friends parties then it's ok.

And i just have to agree, if you go for the HDJC, then you just want more and more stuff since it just give you a taste of what you can do.

If i didn't want to spend to much money but wanted something useful then i would go for:
- VDJ PRO
- Standard Soundcard (that can handle 2 stereo channels)
- Cheap external mixer

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 7:56 am
I think its great for beginner dj's and semi-pro dj's...

It gives you an all-in-one box for DJ use :
- Mixer
- dual soundcard
- controller for Virtual DJ

at a LOW price....

But sure, it is known to "give you a taste" for the better ;) lol ... but its a GREAT starting equipment..

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 3:13 pm
SpockiePRO InfinityMember since 2004
The problem with making something as cheap as the Hercules is.. all sorts of cheap-asses buy it and then complain when it doesnt live up to their expectations of being as good as a much more expensive piece of pro gear..

I have one, and I've been DJ'ing professionally for 10 years.. and I like it.

For the price you pay, I think the sound quality is excellent, the controls are *ok*, and while its a little cramped, I can see it fitting nicely into a small suitcase with a laptop for a nice mobile rig..

I wouldnt use it to play in front of thousands of people with, but for casual use at small parties and practicing at home its just fine..

A slightly up-market version like the XP-10's but with the inbuilt mixer and EQ's (and a bit better buttons) would be perfect.. I'd be willing to pay double the price of a Hercules for something like that.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 4:20 pm
You do get a lot of value in the HDJC, but you should also know what you don't. Then it's up to everyone to decide if it's the right product for there use.

In all i think it's a great product and i have recommended a lot of my friends to buy it.

It actually has most of the functionallity i need and enough for me not to go for professional stuff like the XP10 etc. The soundcard and core functionality is actually really good for that kind of money.

But there are some things that could be better:
- Better jog wheels
- Better EQ
- Better and more buttons
- Better mixer

But that would add cost to it in the production and i do think Hercules got it about 90% right as an entry level product for high volume sales. There is already a lot of PRO stuff out there but the DJC is the first in it's segment.

Most of these "problems" can be fixed if you have some electronic skills and that's why i'm at the moment testing different hardware modifications/extensions to the HDJC. Including moving the PCBs into a larger box and make my own "Pro" version. But if there was a factory made PRO version, then i would buy it.

The first simple thing i tested was to move the crossfader and "Pitch" faders to a small box that i have in front of it and i also added a small USB keypad to it that i mapped to VDJ. And only that small modification made it almost a complete new product and a joy to use. I'm now on to the next modification that includes a small 3-channel DJ-mixer.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 5:27 pm
Can we see a pic of this modification?
Andre

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 8:20 pm
I bought one and if you read this board at all you'll see *many* posts from me on the HDJC. Even with all the complaints I have about it, I've never said I wish I hadn't bought it. For one thing, it got me back into DJing. I DJ'd a pretty big party with my HDJC only 1 week after I bought it. I rocked the house and had the dance floor packed the entire time. Although VDJ did crash twice during my performance (I had no backup!), no one remembers the crashing or the two minutes of silence - they just all went and got a drink anyway. They do remember how great the music was.

I had pretty much given up on DJing ever since I had so much trouble finding all my stuff on vinyl and I've *always* thought the idea of DJing with CD players was ridiculous. But since I've learned about all this stuff, I'm so happy to be cuttin' it up again with my vast collection of 15,000 mp3s. HDJC was the gateway to that. Now I own the pro version of VDJ and I've just received my XP10s.

None of this ever would have happened if I hadn't seen the Fry's ad for the $250 HDJC.

So, in short - if you are thinking about it,... GET ONE! Although if you are even a little bit serious about it, keep the $250 and put it towards a more pro setup like some XP10s and VDJ pro, or more RAM for your system.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 8:23 pm
@pern:

I'm also an Electronic Engineer and I am considering buying a 2nd one to pull apart and tinker with to see if I could make an upgraded version like you are doing.

My main issue with it at the moment is the occasional unresponsiveness of the buttons. Occasionally it will "miss" a play-button press (even a good hard one) which causes you to miss your cue point.. quite annoying.. It feels more like a "lag" thing in the USB communications than a problem with the rubberized buttons.

Have you tried wiring in alternative buttons to the rubberised contact points to see if it improves this ?

The USB Keyboard addition sounds interesting, I'd like to have a few more buttons to map functions to, and an extra slider or two would be handy.

I'd be interested in discussing mods to the console in a seperate thread if you'd like to converse with another techie about them..

Posted Thu 20 Jan 05 @ 3:35 am
Working on pictures and a small presentation of it at the moment.

re: "alternative buttons to the rubberised contact points" , i started to look at it in that way. But i dropped it since i want MORE buttons mapped to VDJ, and that is my approach at the moment since it's not much more work. And i now use the extra keyboard to controll basic functions like Play, cue, loops etc.

If you want more buttons/faders then there is 2 ways to solve it:
1-PC Keybord/Keypad/ etc
2-Extra MIDI controller

1: PC Keybord/Keypad/ etc
Just using a external keypad with 18 keys really makes a difference. Then you could go for X-Keys that is great but cost a lot.
http://www.ymouse.com/xkeys/xkpro.php?PHPSESSID=3f95c5175b272d6698396e6cff67e022

I'm looking at to implement a X-Keys USB Matrix board and build that into a small external mixer http://www.ymouse.com/custom/xkmatrix.php

The biggest problem with the PC Keyboard approach is that you cant have Faders etc, just buttons.

2-Own MIDI controller
I'm also looking into this approach to see if i can get VDJ to work with both DJC and my own MIDI controller. Then i can add as many buttons, sliders etc that i want. I base my tests on MIDIbox (http://www.ucapps.de/ ) that is really cheap to build and big as DIY controller in the Traktor Community. I see no problem in this approach if VDJ can work well with another MIDI Controller also. If not then i have to add a software MIDI router/mapper and solve it there.

The versions that i'm doing with active electronics (USB powered DJ-mixer etc) is done as modules in the FREE version of EAGLE PCB CAD (http://www.cadsoft.de/) and i will post the schematics etc and all EAGLE files so that anyone can modify them. This first active version takes a little longer than planned. Mostly since i'm used to work with +- 15v-18v as PSU voltage, and now i have to apply to the USB spec's (+5v , Pref < 100mA, Max 300 mA etc) and that is a new challange for me when designing it. There is no idea to design stuff that can't be used with a standard Laptop that already uses HDJC.

I love to discuss anything realted to this topic and to see what other are doing also ;-)

Posted Thu 20 Jan 05 @ 8:06 am
Pern,
I am not an electroinc engineer so I have no Idea how to actually modify the hdjc myself but what you are doing sounds really interesting. I would love to see someone comeout with a modified version where you have more buttons and can control all cues, loops, etc. directly from the hardware. If you have any pictures I would love to see them. Also how easy is it to use one of those external keypads and configure it? Is it alot better than using a laptops keys like I have to now?

Posted Mon 24 Jan 05 @ 10:02 pm
sexyjHome userMember since 2004

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 5:09 am
What is the probability in having Hercules DJ CONSOLE, latest firmware and drivers, causing a crash during a gig using WinXP with a 1GHz+ Pentium machine ?
Same question regarding the "miss" on the buttons : how frequent will this happen ?
Thanks,
Steph

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 3:51 pm
never had a crash.... ever...

but the "miss" on play button is a bit anoying... but I use the "sync" button instead, and that button works just fine :)

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 7:35 pm
benjithedog7, Re: "Also how easy is it to use one of those external keypads and configure it? Is it alot better than using a laptops keys like I have to now?"

That is really easy. Just connect it to your computer, install the driver for it. Start VDJ, Select Config - Keyboard Shortcuts - Add.

I guess the response from the keys are like from the Laptop. But i like to have a small labeled keypad next to the Console instead of using the keys on the laptop, well i actually added it into the box with the Crossfader etc. And i use the keypad like this: DECK A, DECK B and MISC.

Posted Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 7:37 am
I'm getting more annoyed with my Hercules Console missing play presses.. it used to miss maybe 1 in 10 button presses on the play button, but its now down to about 1 in 5 and it seems to be gradually getting worse.. Has anyone else noticed this ? Should I return it and get another one or are the rubberised buttons a lost cause ? Has anyone found a big improvement when they had their unit replaced ?

I tried taking it apart and wiring a high quality microswitch in parallel with the rubberised button contacts which made a big improvement in reliability, but is still not perfect for some reason... it still misses about 1 in 20 presses on the play button.. I dont know why.. perhaps the debounce software in the micro has some bugs.. a future firmware upgrade might fix this.. has anyone noticed an improvement with the latest firmware (I havent installed it yet).

In the meantime, I'm seriously considering trying Perns idea of adding an extra USB keyboard which I would wire external buttons to and mount near the hercules. It might even be possible to wire the rubberised buttons to the scan lines on the USB keyboard and use its encoding circuitry, bypassing the Hercules for key inputs. The normal PS/2 Keyboard never misses a start on VDJ, have you ever had your USB keyboard miss Pern ?

Custom electronics sound interesting and I like the look of some of the controllers on that ucapps site, but you would still need a sound card (hercules or maya or something with multiple outputs and a midi input) as well, so it seems like too much work at the moment.. It would be interesting to see the circuits you are developing though. do you have any other improvements other than extra buttons and sliders in mind ?

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 1:04 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Having got both a DJ Console and the Maya44 now, I can honestly say don't bother with the DJ Console. The sound and playback is so much better from the Maya44. I've posted asking about midi compatibility and the Mixman DM2 and am awaiting feedback but my feeling is use a different controller. I'm selling my DJ Console on eBay next week. I'm not sure if it is the contoller or the soundcard in the DJ Console that makes VDJ unstable but I think the Maya44 is a lot higher quality. In addition, the ASIO support in the DJ Console makes tracks play far too fast. I know people have said you can use a 3rd party bit of software between the DJ Console and VDJ but this feels like a bodge to me.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 2:34 pm
My external USB Keypad have never missed so far. It works much better than the buttons on the DJC.

I'm at the moment working on a USB powered professional DJ mixer in "hercules DJC" size since a think that it's much better to work with an external mixer for VDJ. External EQ/kill functionality works so much better than VDJs and i use that a lot. I also want more audio channels in the mixer to add external audio sources as CD-players etc.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 5:25 pm
The "ultimate" all-in-one console for VDJ as i see it now should have:

- All-in-one console (Controller, Mixer, soundcard etc)
- Max size = Std LapTop
- USB powered or +9v cheap external PSU
- MIDI support of buttons, pitch-faders, jog wheel etc,
- External (built in) Soundcard (Maya44, or DJC as soundcard only)
- External (built in) analog mixer. Dj or Club model.

This is what i'm planning to build this spring.

The only problem i see at the moment:
- Getting a nice jog wheel.
- How is the MIDI-support of VDJ, does it work with MIDIbox ?

Maybe we should do a DIY VDJ dedicated controller in a open project/source form ? It would also be great if Atomix could support such a project regarding MIDI support etc.

That would be really cool to do, anyone interested ?

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 6:19 pm
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I honestly don't think your controller should include the soundcard. This is my biggest critism of the XP10 and the DJ Console. Its just too limiting on what you want to do. For example, neither the DJ Console or the XP10 is suitable to run alongside TCV. A soundcard-less controller/dual controller would be far far more appealing to the masses because it gives more options and will hopefully be cheaper.

In my ideal world I'd like a pair of XP10s without the sound card. Of course if you are going for an all in one job then fine but you will end up competing with all the other products already available and coming out. Think about it - most clubs and bars already have the mixing desk. Whilst you can piggy back one desk onto another, the chances are there won't be enough room to do this well as hopefully the existing desk is in an ideal position already.

At the end of the day I guess it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 6:31 pm
65%