Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: mp4 vs vob - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

If you don't choose to compress your H.264 transcoding you will end up with a much large file than your original vob! May as well save the electricity and harddrive space and not bother with lossless H.264 imo.

dj-e-lectric wrote :
Don't really mean to get worked up about it but just because the market is "full" of misinformation doesn't mean we can't help straighten it out for those just learning about it.....

I phrased that badly sorry, and I agree about straightening things out :)

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:10 pm
well now my question is why if you had a song on an original ''dvd'' and ripped that same song in 5 diffrent formats(same codecs and bitrates) would the vob file end up larger than the others.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:19 pm
steelwill wrote :
well now my question is why if you had a song on an original ''dvd'' and ripped that same song in 5 diffrent formats(same codecs and bitrates) would the vob file end up larger than the others.

mpeg2 (or VOB), and H264 (or MP4), are different codecs..

If you ripp a DVD and store it as a .vob VS an .mp4... everything else being equal the .mp4 will be smaller because it (H264) uses more advanced algorithms VS the .VOB (mpeg2)

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 4:00 pm
wow!! thanks everybody, that lets me know what direction i need to go in.

- will -

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 4:52 pm
hippydog wrote :
steelwill wrote :

mpeg2 (or VOB), and H264 (or MP4), are different codecs..

If you ripp a DVD and store it as a .vob VS an .mp4... everything else being equal the .mp4 will be smaller because it (H264) uses more advanced algorithms VS the .VOB (mpeg2)

I think before I post something technical I will send I to hippydog first so he can rewrite it for me...he seems to phrase things in a much simpler manner but still gets it right!

Posted Tue 02 Sep 08 @ 9:24 pm
steelwill wrote :

Encodings at the same bitrate should be near enough identical. 4000kbps is 4000kbps no matter what formats are involved (H264 + AAC, XviD + MP3, MPEG2 + AC3), 88MB for 3 minutes.

The difference in filesizes is due to the structure of the container. Think of it as an index, the more recent containers are able to get away will smaller indexes because older ones aren't as efficient. The order of the most popular containers from least efficient to most efficient are: VOB, AVI, MKV, MP4

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 3:43 am
X1LoVeRPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Lately I have noticed that mkv files load much faster than other. The file size is smaller than mp4 in same quality (in my opinion - seen on a big screen).
Have anyone experiences with mkv files ? Whats the difference between both ?
Pro and conts are welcome :o)

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 9:34 am
Like mentioned in my post above, MKV is just a container. It's more durable than any other container because it supports all sorts of things, multiple video, audio, subtitle and chapter streams. It's popular with pirates for a few reasons (mp3, ac3 and vobsub support). You cannot put an mp3 or ac3 in an mp4 container, even though aac supports more than two channels, the rippers would rather keep the native audio format, usually ac3. In terms of video, there's no reason why mkv would look better than mp4, they most likely both have an x.264 encoded video stream.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 10:13 am
oh no, I don´t mean mkv looks is better than mp4 !
I just feel that I do not see the difference in the videos only in file size.
Is there a tool wich can show all specs of the video (like Winamp for mp3) ? I´m using VLC player but it shows only the realtime data of the video.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 12:17 pm

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 12:27 pm
Thank you Andrew ;o)

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 12:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)