Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: minimum memory requirement

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gilbertPRO InfinityMember since 2005
OK. So for those of you that can run HDJC without problems... how much RAM do I really need so I don't max out my CPU everytime I drop a new song. I've got 512MB on 2.8Ghz P4... thought I had enough, but it doesn't seem like it. Yes, I loaded the lates Hercules latest drivers 01.05. Yes I tried out VDJ 2.05. Still maxing. Help!

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 6:57 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I might be wrong, but won't your cpu just about always max out when you drop in a new song? That's when the mp3 is being converted to .wav, so I would think that would be very cpu intensive.

I'd be upset if this did NOT max out my cpu. I want that thing loaded as quickly as possible.

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 9:34 am
Thanks for the response Bargler. I guess the question then should be, how do I decrease the time it takes for the download. Seems to take progressively longer as you get further into a set. And you can't even touch the computer while it downloads (max cpu), or else the song on the current deck starts to mess up.

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 5:02 pm
Hmmm.

Well, I used the Herc console with an AMD 1.2ghx Athlon and only 384 megs of RAM. I wouldn't recommend that system, but it worked for me without any major problems. More RAM would help for sure. I've upgraded to 1 gig and it does make a large difference in both the speed that tracks are loaded and my confidence that the program won't freak out in the middle of my set.

Are you mixing large files, like over 15 or 20 minutes long? Have you set your windows page file to be a constant (non-system managed) size? Have you defragged your hard drive? All drivers and BIOS current?

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 6:19 pm
Okie. Put in an order to up my RAM to 1G. I'll let you know how that works out. Yes, I'll often have more than 20mins of music up at any point in time. Did the defrag and all drivers and BIOS are current. How do I set windows page file to be a constant?

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 8:47 pm

Posted Sat 15 Jan 05 @ 9:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)