Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Does VDJ Support SMP

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anyone in support know if VDJ will utilize multiple processors or will the entire application be bound to a single processor. If it stays bound to a single proc, is there any known problem running on a system with 2 active processors?

Posted Thu 13 Jan 05 @ 1:53 am
Is there no one in support who has any idea if VDJ supports a second processor or not?

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 3:52 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
According to my knowledges, VDJ don't control your processor but Windows... Maybe I'm wrong

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 4:07 pm
I doubt there is much difference to the logical cpu usage in HT P4's. Therefore you can expect more responsive UI when VDJ is analyzing/loading a song, compared to non-smp/non-ht machines.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 4:34 pm
I think we may all be missing the point. If VDJ supports multiple processors, that would mean at the least, that it is a multi-threaded application. It might mean that the part of the program that loads and analyzes the song runs in a seperate thread. It might mean that the part of the program that updates the waveform window while music is playing - this part might run in a seperate thread. Each deck's playback might be in a seperate thread. If this is how the program is written, then great. It would support multiple processors and probably perform better too. This would mean that songs would load faster and the waveform display would not stutter as much when loading a song on a deck.

If on the other hand, the program was written monolithcialy, in one big event loop, then you could have 20 processors in your machine and it would not be any faster because VDJ could only utilize one of those 20 processors.

But there is no way to know this easily, but the people who wrote the software sure would know. Too bad they are mum on the topic.

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 7:50 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The new analyse of the bpm is multi-threading, it looks like so much, because before v2.06 vdj was freezing during this action

Posted Tue 18 Jan 05 @ 8:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)