Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: digital noise

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is my strange problem. Running virtual dj on a 2.4 Ghz laptop AMD XP, MP3's on Maxtor 160gB connected to a ECLER MAC70 Mix table via external Maya 7.1 USB soundcard.Front system was a 15 kW Martin Audio system. Without any faders open (!) there was a terrrible noise, like a digital hiss the moment my external hard disk started. It was like a motorbike running from zero to 150 km/h. suspected groundloops, taped of the earthpin of the adapter. Was better but stil very annoying (digital)hiss.Just like a gsm close to a radio. Don't think it has anything to do with the program, but more the USB; connection anybody any idea or tip?

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 12:56 pm
MathewPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Had the somehow similar problem. Wasn't the software. Winamp did the same. Then I disconnected the Laptop Power cable and it was gone. The cheapest Solution is to put some scotch tape on the ground of the Laptop power cable. Might be a little risky. Other solution is to use decouple adapters between the Maya 7.1 and the Mixer (or preamp if you don't have a mixer).

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 1:36 pm
fanatixHome userMember since 2004
general rule for bigger soundsystem:

put your turntables, mixer, pc,... on 1 electrical circuit
your amplifiers on an other
light installation on an other

no more problems

Posted Thu 13 Jan 05 @ 11:28 pm
For me the solution was a GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR from RadioShack.

Posted Fri 14 Jan 05 @ 12:32 am
Get a two prong plug for your power supply and your noise will be gone.The ground is the culprit just eleminate that and all will be well.

Posted Fri 14 Jan 05 @ 3:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)