Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Timecoded CDs instead of Timecoded Vinyl

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

There is some talk in another forum about using timecoded CDs along with a direct/belt drive or other type active platter CD drive like the Technics, Denon, Pioneer or Numark CD players. I think it would be so much cooler if there were such a thing as an XP10 like unit with an active platter that rotated but until such a thing exists, using a direct drive CD player and some timecoded CDs is probably the next best thing.

But the real question is, are there any timecoded CDs that are compatabile with Virtual DJ. Hopefully someone in support can answer this for me. I guess I could always try to buy the timecoded vinyl and rip it to CD. A couple of problems with that though,.. first - there are no TCV available. They are out of stock. Second, I have no turntable to do this with.

Since the direct drive player can be purchased for around the same cost as an XP10, I am thinking this is a decent alternative to using an XP10. So has anyone done this setup with VDJ? A couple of active platter CD players and VDJ?

Thanks, Aaron Newsome

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 5:58 pm

Posted Thu 06 Jan 05 @ 7:10 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think you are putting too much weight on that motorized platter, anewsome. =)

I agree that it is neat and all, but if you buy a motorized cd player, you are buying redundancy. You are paying that cd manufacturer for things like time stretch which is already done for you in VDJ. You are paying for the easier storage of your music (CD), but you already have hundreds of mp3s on the computer you'll be lugging around anyway.

I love my XP10's. They don't feel exactly like vinyl, but I wouldn't say they feel worse, either...just different. I don't think a good XP10 DJ would have any more trouble moving to vinyl than a good vinyl DJ would have moving to the XP10's.

What exactly would using timecoded CD's give you that an XP10 or TCV setup would not? If you MUST have something spinning in front of you, why not get TCV and turntables which will give you much more versatility than a CD Player, and probably at less cost? If nothing else, your turntables will hold their resale value, while the CD player will lose value faster than a new sports car.

When I go to my local music shops, there are a TON of these CD Players for sale, used, at prices chopped way below their retail. Most can't be, what?...2 years old? On the other hand, I can wander over to the used turntables and see that their prices are not nearly as discounted from retail as the CD players, and many of those tables are probably twice as old as the CD Players.

With the rise of computer dj'ing like VDJ, I just don't see how the cd players are really useful. Nothing they can do can't be done better by either TCV or XP10's, imo.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 9:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)