Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual Memory

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey folks...:o)

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this one.

Sometimes when mixing i'm getting a wee flash bubble that's telling me that my virtual memory is running low. I'm not entirely sure what to do to fix it. I'm (still!!!) in the process of rebuilding a homebuilt for more memory but this is turning into a pain in the ass man!!!

All i'm running on the homebuilt is VDJ and a few thousand songs. Not much if you ask me! The program runs fine itself, but this is a bit of a concern before using for a gig.

Can anyone suggest what my virtual memory should be compared to what it is??? I've just reset it to something like 574 (which i think is the recommended level) on the virtual memory paging file bit, but is this right??? Should it be more or less than that??? Has anyone had this kind of problem before???

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers and a belated happy new year to you all...:o)

Chris

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 9:46 am
Many say that the pagefile/virtual memory of Windows should be 2x your physical ram.

And you of course need to have at least that harddrive space free for Windows not to get in trouble.

Also, keep PC as cleen as possible. If the pagefile/virtual memory problem still stay there in Windows, it might be that your Windows install is messed up, and you might consider reinstall the Windows OS.

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 9:51 am
Ah, nice one dj-in-norway.

I kind of thought it should be quite a fair amount to be honest. I'll give it a go and see how i get on.

Thanks again

Chris

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 9:56 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
The 2x (or better 2.5x) rule is good for systems older systems.
I believe that above 512mb ram its better to set a fixed swap file of 384-768 not more.
With 1 Gb ram you can even disable swap file.
(Better to keep a minimum swap file, for compatibility with some programs)

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 10:11 am
thankx for this apopsis... will keep this in mind

cheers

chris

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 10:15 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)