Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crucial - VDJ acting unstable

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I like VDJ, but it locks up almost every time I open it. It does a series of weird things outlined in the following:

1. Icons streak across the screen (such as the "folder" icon or the "lock" icon).
2. Folder names disappear in the "folder browser". I see
folder icons but no names.
3. Song names stop appearing as I scroll down the "music
browser".
4. If a song is playing, it plays til the end.
5. Sometimes it locks up before I can get to play a song.
6. I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to end program. I restart the
program and it works again.
7. It hangs either immediately or later.

I run the demo version on a desktop (P4 2.66, 1GB ram, 80GB hd, win xp pro), and a laptop (P4 3.06, 1GB ram, 60GB hd, win xp pro). VDJ crashes on both systems. I want to purchase the program today for a gig I have this Saturday, but if it crashes I'll be screwed. Can anyone offer solutions/advice today so I can develop confidence in VDJ? thanx

Posted Thu 17 Jul 03 @ 6:27 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello,
I don't understand why, but the full version looks more stable than the demo. It shouldn't be... but it seems to be (for my computer I say).
Don't be affraid, VDJ first release is less than 3 weeks old.
Update will correct bugs if bugs you still have in the full version.
buy!
bye ;)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 03 @ 6:35 pm
thanks......

I was also thinking the full version would be more stable.

However, I must know if anyone has had any of the issues I am having. I could sure use a little "understand why" from users.

holla back!

Posted Thu 17 Jul 03 @ 7:51 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
hmmm...not sure but seems a problem with your videocard..
does it have enough memory to run hard applications?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 03 @ 7:59 pm
I have very similar problem, i have posted about it few times. Temporary solution for me was to go to BIOS and disable Hyper-Threading. (check you task manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL in windows, check the different tabs, if you find two graphs showing CPU usage side by side, you have Hyper-Threading enabled, which is default in new Intel computers)

But alas, it might not be this. Only the 3.06 P4 you have should be having these problems. 2.66 P4 doesn't have HT, only 2.6 P4 has.

Anyway try the BIOS -> disable HT trick with your 3.06, it might help!

Posted Fri 18 Jul 03 @ 9:24 am
BTW one difference i have, VDJ continues to play music, only the faders and menus stop working.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 03 @ 9:26 am
err.. had to say also: i have every problem you have, except #6 and #7 when Hyper-Threading is enabled.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 03 @ 9:27 am
First a few facts........
1. My pc does not allow me to disable Hyper-Threading. Tech support told me.
2. My video card is a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000.

However I have narrowed the problem down to a simplier explanation................
1. VDJ locks up when I am adjusting the column widths. If I adjust the widths too quickly, icons streak across the screen. THIS HAPPENS WHETHER A SONG IS PLAYING/LOADED OR NOT. The only option I have is to exit the program.

If I do anything in VDJ too quickly (and I'am not talking the speed of light) it hangs. Perhaps this has something to do with my video settings.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 03 @ 10:05 pm
Dontonio, if you find the thing mess up, try to remember the position of the "select skin" button, so you can find it even if you can't see the text properly. Changing skin will reset the graphics and it works for a while again. Not very pleasant solution, but don't know anything else atm :(

Posted Sat 19 Jul 03 @ 10:09 am
Dontonio, does the song keep playing when it locks up while you change width? The problem occurs for me fastest when i browser directories with many sub directories. If the song keeps playing but its otherwise locked up, you can still fix it by going "blind" into the options menu and click mad to hit the select skin button, changing skin will make it work again even when locked up, atleast for me.

Posted Sat 19 Jul 03 @ 10:12 am
picia7Home userMember since 2003
jak skrakowac virtual dj?

Posted Sun 27 Jul 03 @ 1:25 am
Dj dontonio! I heard of possible solution for your situation:

keithwalton says:
"I've just thought of a possible work around to the problem, if you assign the task to one of the logical processors only you can keep hyperthreading on and it should only think there is one cpu and thus shouldnt screw up"

And how? Run VDJ, then press CTRL-ALT-DEL and find virtualdj.exe from Processes window tab, right click that row and select the bottom item from the menu, this will give you possibility to "assign processor" to either "CPU 0" or "CPU 1". Now just deselect either 0 or 1 and "OK".

VDJ will now work fine, atleast here.. You said you also have some crashes, this may not fix those though.

You need to do this operation straight after starting VDJ, don't touch anything in VDJ before you do it or it may not work.

And you need to do this every time you start VDJ until the buggy code is fixed.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 12:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)