Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Random crashes, I'm a believer now

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I read a thread on this forum the other day that talked about random crashes while using Virtual DJ. I didn't believe them because I bought my Hercules + VDJ combo on Friday and have been using it pretty heavy for about 4 days now. The only crash I experienced was when scanning the hard drive for music files (which seriously needs to be fixed). See my other post on my fix for the broken VDJ file scanner.

Anyway, this morning I experienced my first random crash. Application just disapeared. Blip and it was gone. No error, nothing. Just poof and it was gone. At the time of crash I was listening a song on one deck while back-cueing the other track to find the start of the beat. While spinning my Hercules jog wheel backwards,.. poof. Application disapeared.

This machine is a VERY solid Dell PowerEdge server. Running Windows 2000, VDJ and nothing else. It is not connected to a network and no other applications run on this box. It was freshly and specifically built as a DJ machine just days ago.

I am preparing for my first party this Saturday using the Hercules DJ Console and Virtual DJ and I gotta tell you,.. I am a bit shaky about having a dancefloor full of asses shaking and then poof music stopped and everyboddy looks at me like I don't know what the hell I am doing.

Anyway, just my two cents. Hopefully if someone if thinking of buying this software to rock a serious party, they will think twice about it after reading posts like mine.

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 6:57 pm
Anewsome. Many of us use this program without any issue. The version you are using with the hercules bundle has had many updates. We are now on 2.06 and for me the system works virtually flawlessly. I completely trust it and use it three or four times a week. Many of us that had problems are coming to find out that it is our systems, no matter how powerful they are, conflists in soundcards, ect. cannot be avoided. I had to tweak mine a bit and it really paid off. I have been a dedicated vdj user since 1.0 and will stand by it! I hope you read through this forum more thoughly and see the posatives of this program and what it has done for many people. It is definately worth the purchase. The newest update is awesome and it can only get better.

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 8:04 pm
@anewsome

I can understand your worries.. but did you upgrade to 1.09 version? there is a free patch, that might solve your problem. Also, check out laptop HEAT!! thats the NUMBER 1 reason for such issues

AND, trust me... I use VirtualDJ at gigs 3 TIMES A WEEK, and have NEVER had a crash at a gig, never! ;) thats the 100% truth....
I do have an almost dedicated laptop for this, that means that I dont install a bunch of other apps that can mess up Windows, AND I try to keep it as clean as possible (virus, spyware etc)

And - also.... I have the full version, and thats now version 2.06, and of course it has had a lot of fixes and upgrades from the 1.08 version that you have, and therefore might be more stable and better, thats only logic.

My only advice would be to try to keep laptop as cool as possible, and if you are serious about using VirtualDJ at gigs, you should really get the full version, as its a lot better and stable... and being a licenced member u will also get free upgrades and updates etc

dj-in-norway

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 9:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)