Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Tech Info For Full Set Up

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have tried my best to search the boards as I would think this has been discussed somewhere. I haven't been able to find the info I need, probably because I'm clueless about sound cards.

I want to buy a turntable and a mixer to use time coded vinyls. I have a laptop with no externall soundcard. I hear the maya 44 is a good soundcard so let's say that's the one I get. Now What?

Do I need Digital mixers and turntables or just standard work Ok?
What wires to to what to set up?
What changes in VDJ Do I need to make?

Thanks to anyone who helps me out here...much appreciated.

Posted Sun 12 Dec 04 @ 10:00 am
Alright I don't blame anyone for answering this post...I found the info, duh, on the product page by clicking more info. I do still want to make certain that I don't need a digital mixer or a digital turntable. I don't believe I do, but before I drop $1000 bucks I just want to make certain. I'm thinking about Numark TTX and one of the 150-$200 dollar mixers..probably Gemini. They OK, along with the Maya sound card?

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 5:12 pm
No, you don't need digital equipment. The Maya44 USB card is perfect as it has 4 mono inputs (thus, 2 stereo inputs), and 4 mono outputs (2 stereo outputs). Any analog turntable/mixer will work with the timecoded's, as VDJ analyses the analog signal :)

macourteau

Posted Thu 16 Dec 04 @ 5:20 pm
Thanks for confirming. Good news and much obliged Macourteau. 1 question on recording mixes with the external full set up and TCV. If I'm using the 4 inputs for the turntables, and the four outputs to go back to the mixer, how do I get the sound back to the PC and VDJ for recording? Another Soundcard? I'm thinking if the data is coming to the mixer from the TCV and VDJ, to record the actions of the mixer I'd have to take the Mixer outputs back to the PC. Thanks for your help.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 10:28 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I will connect it this way using the on-board card for recording, soon.
Maya is ok, i use it with timecode cd's every night.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 8:20 pm
Thanks for responding Apopsis. Sounds like you haven't done it yet. I'm not sure how you connect to the internal soundcard..is there a config option in VDJ? I only use this for fun so recording is pretty much why I use it. I don't care if I need to buy another soundcard, I just want to know what to do...and make sure it's possible b4 i buy turntables and a mixer.

Posted Fri 17 Dec 04 @ 8:53 pm
Hello Folks. So How do you record your mixes if you have 2 Turntables,external mixer and a Maya 44 soundcard...and a laptop with an internal soundcard? Is that possible?

Posted Sun 19 Dec 04 @ 8:25 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Use "ripvinyl" to record from your soundcard line-in.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 5:39 am
I made tests last night and saturday night, using a desktop pc, a maya 44usb+timecode cd's
I connected the "output 3" from a Pionner djm500 mixer to the line in of the on-board card.
(other outpus already to the amps)
Note if you have a laptop chances are there is no stereo line in, but only a mono mic in.
In this case ...forget it or add another usb card with a line in. (or pcmcia)
The programs i tested for recording was Audiograbber FREE 1.83 (very recommended)
and Vegas 5.0 (professionnal audio/video and not free), I know vinyl rip is a good choice, i will try it soon. (well i tried but it use the memory for ripping and i was afraid for this)
I had a clipping problem. Even with the input slider for line in too low (in windows mixer/recording)
the level from pionner (pro level) was too loud for the onboard -kids/game- soundcard...
Then i tried a small mixer between the pionner out and rec in to adjust the recording levels.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 10:41 am
Thanks apopsis for responding. Maybe someone from Support team can chime in here. It sounds like at a minimum I can't use the VDJ recorder at all and that I'll need a second soundcard vs. the onboard laptop soundcard and the Maya. This is the only thing holding me back from moving to a full setup to TCV. I'd love to get a definitive answer. Has anyone tried the ripvinyl and as Apopsis mentioned did you then have memory issues if you were playing and ripping at the same time. I have 512 RAM. I'd be trying this myself but haven't bought the equipment yet b/c I have to be able to record before investing.

Posted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 2:57 pm
no no no, don't be confused..
It's simple.
The program itself has a recording option, but it records the output of the "software" mixer.
This is normal.
But we need to record the out of our external mixer, right ... ?
(because we are ..pro and can't work with a screen mixer/mouse, perhaps)
So a physical line in is needed. If you use the inputs of your maya for the turntables already, you need
a second card, (or a more pro and expensive card with more than 4 inputs)
Once you have this available input there are many ways to record, as a said to my previous post.
Tonight i recorded about an hour of acid jazz/soul at my gig, using audiograbber and encoding
to mp3 on the fly. All these with a celeron 2.8 cpu/512 ram, perfect...

Posted Mon 20 Dec 04 @ 7:28 pm
I like this guy. Apopsis, thanks. I just needed to know if there was a setup already in use by all of you. Not many people responded. I figured there was a way, but didn't know if it was all written down. I keep hearing the Maya 44 is a good sound card but from your post it sounds like there is a more pro sound card with 6 inputs. Any thoughts on what soundcard that is? I was looking to buy a maya 44 for the setup. I could buy two soundcards but why not just buy the one that I need. Thanks again for your help. I'd like to get your input on NUmark TTX's as well, but should probably post that somewhere else. If I loved 1988 1200's I'm guessing what I read about these means the competition caught up a little and at least are at the decade behind level, right?

Posted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 10:32 pm
There are many "pro" cards for studio use with 4-6-8 or more inputs/outputs, (analog or digital)
Some of them include mic preamps or instrument (Hi-Z) inputs (for guitar etc), and things you dont need..
But you have a laptop so choises are limited to usb, fireware or pcmcia.
Add to this that virtual dj has a "compatibility" problem with some of the "good" cards...
I'm sure they will fix it soon, but for you it is better not to risk.
I will -soon- test to record using another single usb card, or hercules console (along with the maya)
and i will post the results, and also some links for -multichannel- cards.

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 10:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)