Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: PCDJ Users take note

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I'm posting this are a warning to you. A freind of mine recently installed the new version of pcdjfx on the same computer VDJ was on. He then scaned the tracks in pcdj, as many of you know pcdj will write the bpm to the id3 tag and change the pysical size of the mp3 file. Once the mp3 file size is changed VDJ will no longer remember the tracks, forcing you to rescan all your tracks with vdj to get your bpm info back. Cues and comments will be lost forever. In order to avoid this either scan your tracks in pcdj first then VDJ second or not to scan anything in pcdj. I recommend you set your mp3 files to read only to prevent this from happening in the first place.

Now something has got to give here. VDJ should realize that there will be programs that will change the size of any givin mp3 file, a better way is needed other than going off the file size.

Posted Thu 02 Dec 04 @ 11:21 pm
do you know what part of IDtag PCDJ writes bpm values ?
If it's the standard bpm tag, the Virtual DJ database updater could be used BEFORE you launch VirtualDJ, to update the database.
All comments, cues etc would then be kept, but BPM vaules would be changed to those found by PCDJ...

of course, not any ideal solution, but an aid ...

Anyway... I'm fine with running VDJ only ;)

Posted Fri 03 Dec 04 @ 2:37 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
It sure would be nice to standardize this for all programs.

Posted Fri 03 Dec 04 @ 8:51 pm
Yep, but thanks a lot for the vdj database updater dj-in-norway. It is truly a great program. Right now I am running two separate groups of tracks. Duplicates of my tracks are stored on another drive for VDJ. This is only temporary as I know soon enough VDJ will start using id3v2 tags (or at least I hope).

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 4:23 am
pcdj uses the id tag to store stuff. VDJ uses an INI file.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 11:10 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Beware, pcdj is not using the "standart" bpm field in id3 tag v2.
It uses a "custom" field instead (id3v2 allow this)

Personally, to avoid "bad" things to happen i have all my
music files set as read only, and because my choice is virtualdj now, -for so many reasons-
i simply dont use pcdj anymore... (ex user..)

In Greece we say : you cannot have the cake -untouched-
and the dog satisfied
(if the translation is correct)

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 11:52 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
And it's gets even better if you have SP2 installed with the auto updates selected.

Why, you can actually be 2 days into a rescan/analyze and windows will reboot the machine for you while you are sleeping forcing you to start your scan all over again.

Isn't that cool?

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 12:51 pm
That's why I did not install SP2, only the security updates. Heard too many horror stories like that one.

sowndman, you are correct, except that PCDJ will change the tags when if finds a bpm (by inserting the BPM value in the tag) and, thus, often changing the file size. VDJ won't be able to find the file after the size changes.

Also happens if you use the mixmeister program. That program changes the bpm tags to another format that PCDJ can't read.

Posted Sat 04 Dec 04 @ 6:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)