Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: m3u file content

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

zvweissPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It seems that VirtualDJ expects absolute filepath/filename in its m3u playlists files. This make them incompatible with other programs such as Windows Media Player.

Is there any intent to change this in the future?

Zvi Weiss

Posted Sun 21 Nov 04 @ 3:05 pm
what do you mean?
I can use my playlists in Media Player...

Posted Mon 22 Nov 04 @ 12:35 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I know what he meant, good point.
example from a Vdj playlist (you can view with notepad) :

D:/[2004]Maroon 5 - This Love.mp3

Loaded this playlist in winamp (i hate m$, media player) and saved it again. Then the same song shown as :

/[2004]Maroon 5 - This Love.mp3

This way if you change the drive letter or use external drives
the songs will played.
I remember one time before a gig i had to manually change
all my playlists because of this, and i was so in pressure...

ps. with this character: /, i wanted the opposite, (for some reason its not displayed)

Posted Tue 23 Nov 04 @ 1:58 am
zvweissPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Apopsis explained my point clearly and exactly. Create a playlist in Virtual DJ. Play this playlist in MS Media Player and all is well. Now, edit the playlist in MS Medial Player and save it. Go back to Virtual DJ and try to play the playlist and you can not.

Virtual DJ saves the list with absolute path. MS Media player saves it as relative path.

I am not sure what is the standard for m3u file types, but clearly there is an obvious incompatibility between Virtual DJ and MS media player.

My 5 cent on this matter is that relative path are better than absolute path! This was you can move your files around and as long as you keep the m3u files in the same relative position to your mp3 files your playlist are still good. If you use absolute path you will have no choice after you mover your music files around, but to go and fix your m3u files manualy. YUCK!!!

Posted Sat 27 Nov 04 @ 5:40 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)