Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: I need information

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

I just bought a Hercules DJ Console and I'm very disappointed.
I already had a VDJ 2.05 registered version and when I try to have it recognized in my profile, the procedure doesn't function, the console is not detected !

But what BOTHER me is that I cannot change the number of default loops from 1 2 4 to 4 8 16 even if I try with the mapper of the console or in the config of VDJ; sometimes it works, sometimes not, and this on a RANDOM mode ! I don't know how to fix the cue points ! Neither the doc of the console neither VDJ give the "How TO" !

Do I have to install the version (demo) of VDJ that I got with the console in order to find functional things or the right user manual. If so, I want to be sure that there is no risk of protection error ?

I find quite boring to have to browse the forum to discover for instance that the 2 buttons under the joystick can be used to place a song on the correspondant desk.

I don't even know what is/are the other use(s) of the joystick (except scratching) !

Actually, I can use the following functions : the volume, scratch, track, the equalizer, the selection for output of headset and the play/stop.

Other functions as cue, pitch bend, loops don't work properly.

The drivers I use are up to date, I bought the console 2 days ago and installed the latest drivers and firmware from Hercules.

In conclusion, I consider that it's a very expensive toy for me.

Please let me know where I can find a more complete and detailed documentation in order to MAXIMIZE the use of my DJ console with VDJ 2.05.

I am looking forward to receiving a prompt reply in order to compensate this LACK of information. Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Jean-Lievin.

P.S. I already posted this question on the french forum but I didn't receive any suitable response there so I do a "crossed language" post. ;-( ;-( ;-(

Posted Sun 14 Nov 04 @ 11:16 am
hi...

Dj console registration in the profile only works for console version users. As you are registered as a full version user, the registration of the console version is not needed

You can for sure change the loops in the console mapper! Make a new preset in the Hercules mapper, to keyboard shortcuts..
The numbers are shortcuts to loops, like the number 5 is 4 beat loop, the number 6 is a 8 beat loop etc.
You have to map these numbers (already made keyboard shortcuts, or your own custom keyboard shortcuts) to the button you want to use in the console mapper!

In other words:
(1) You have to make a keyboard shortcut in VDJ, or see if there is a allready made keyboard shortcut to the function you want
(2) You have to make a new preset in the Hercules mapper, and asign a button to that keyboard shortcut you want to use

You do NOT need to install the console version of VDJ that came with Hercules. Please dont! Because the full version have all the features of the console version, and MORE, and works a lot better with the console, than the console version. Installing 2 different version of VDJ might only mess up your system.

The use of joystick can also be a mouse.. you can use it to move around in music folder. Scratch can be enabled for jogwheels.

A complete guide to maximize the use of Hercules could be made, maybe we can make such a guide.
But as a start, its a mixer console. All functions (play, cue, sync etc) are pretty straight forward. It does what it says on the buttons.

Hope that helps a bit

Posted Mon 15 Nov 04 @ 4:17 pm
Hello Norway,

well I tried to assign keyboard 5 (loop 4) keyboard 6 (loop 8) and keyboard 7 (loop 16) to respectively buttons 1 2 and 3. Well I can set loop 8 & 16 without problem except that when I want to stop the loop I have to press a long time on the button and by chance I can sometimes stop the loop. If I place for instance a loop of 16 and press the button 1, the loop is stopped. So placing a loop of 4 is difficult pressing the button till the loop appears, the contrary of the behaviour of the 2 other buttons : easy to set uneasy to unset !

I played a bit more with the cue function, you can place a cue when the music is not playing, but if you want to go for instance to the point cue 2, pressing the cue button 2 when the music plays puts the music at the right place and the music stops !

In fact the manual of the console is reduced to the strict minimum because Hercules says the behaviour can vary depending of the application you use.

So I think a minimum would be to have a manual saying how to use Vdj with the console.

Modifying volume, picth, bass, trebble and using the jogs are indeed straight functions, the rest is unclear.

Browsing the folder where VDJ is installed, I see there is a file XP10.xml with the assignements of all the buttons. Why isn't a similar method of config for the console in order to not rely on the key mapper from Hercules.

You see, because I'm not able to change the loops (I will further investigate, doing other assignements as 5 6 and 7), I'm thinking I cannot trust the console and have to use either my keyboard either my mouse for buttons PRESENT on the console, it's quite silly, no ?

This said, i've read many of your posts and have to thank you for all the informations you gave here.

Thanks for your help,

Jean-Lievin.

Posted Mon 15 Nov 04 @ 8:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)