Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: AMD Sempron

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hey all I was looking into getting a laptop with these specs

* AMD Sempron™ processor 2800+* with 333MHz frontside bus
* 512MB PC2100 DDR SoDIMM for multitasking power, expandable to 1024MB
* DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
15.4" WXGA TFT widescreen display
60.0GB hard drive
Integrated ATI Mobility RADEON graphics with 64MB DDR shared video memory; S-video TV-out
IEEE 1394 interface and 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, dio and data transfer
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g); 10/100 Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed data/fax modem

I've seen all the reviews and benchtests and it was no slaker it didnt come in last against the pentium p4 and edged out the celeron

Ive seen elsewhere in these forums that the celeron was fine for djing so Im looking for opinions on this one

I want to use this at home with VDJ software and the XP10s Im not really on a budget but not looking to spend a bundle( this lappy will be 749 US when its all said and done)

so opinions please with tweaking Xp and bumping the ram to the max would this work I want to go get this later today

thanks
dave

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 5:53 pm
1. AMD is fine, that is what I run on my laptop and the desktop --or is that is what is causing my problems? hmm I wonder how many people are using AMD processors out there?

2. shared video memory sucks but there is not much you can do about that

3. The memory is critical, 512mb is the minimum despite what is posted on the web site

4. will U be using a controller? which one?

5. buy a laptop cooler pad

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 11:32 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
My AMD 2600+ (real freq 1920...) desktop is rock solid, and in every test i found it about 10% faster than my 2.8 P4
laptop and about the same with a 2.8 P4 HT (desktop)
Testing with cubase and Vst instruments and effects.

No problems with Virtual dj (on both)
Also the Athlon run at 44 C (which means very cool..)

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 2:37 am
thanks for the replies guys. but sad to say the lappy wasnt as advertised it didnt have the firewire as promised sooo I went with a vaio desktop instead.

But anyhoo Im ordering the xp-10s and VDJ next week sooooo If anybody can recommend a good mixer for all types of music and up to 500 I dont want to go over that much cause im still a newbie

oh yeah 1 more question Im trying to figure out excatly how the mixer works when used with the software I know you can use an analog mixer but how without some sort of midi commands???? pls help

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 3:51 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
whats you mixer budget?

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 5:00 am
cyderhouse thats my problem I want to stay under 500 us well 2 - 3 hundred yah know so I dont break the bank.

im just starting looking for somthing for home I had my eye on a few newmark ones. I was looking at the berehingers but I here to many mixed things about it mostly bad. I like the rotary one american audio has.

and another thing I really dont know what I need I guess I could do with a 2 channel mixer being as I dont see myself going moble in the future and needing the extra channels for cds etc I've got like 10 windows open now just searching for one lol anyhoo thanks for the help hope to here somemore ideas and as always I'll keep searching the forums

ps does anyone know how long it takes for the xp-10s to get to the statesafter ordering

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 6:15 am

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 6:58 am

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 7:12 am
Feel free to give me a buzz to further dicuss your options, you've already found the best software and the computer looks pretty good. You can find my number on my sig over at djchat.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 7:50 am
thanks cyderhouse I need all the help I can get

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 3:24 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
My laptop has an AMD XP 1.0 GHz processor (an 512 MB of RAM). It runs VDJ great! My desktop does run things a little bit faster (especially loading up songs), but I'm just pointing out that you don't need the fastest processor out there :).

Posted Fri 12 Nov 04 @ 4:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)