Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Broadcasting - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

What shoutcast file do i download?

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 8:29 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
You need the server and the shoutcast dsp plugin. Walkers can help you best with this topic......

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 10:11 am

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 1:52 pm
i have always used a server on my pc and never had any trouble!
so how do you suggest he does it?

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 4:03 pm
"normal ISP" depends a lot where you live, here where i live it is extremely rare that ISP should have totally blocked incoming connections for broadband users. This would mostly be the case for free-almost free internet services. My personal opinion, which you may want to ignore, is that please don't put those streams with 24kbit/22khz. Totally minimum bearable is 56kbit/22khz.

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 8:22 pm
Walkers: i think he referred to using some server service provided by some of the commercial providers (which may also provide free, lower quality services) or a friend with lot of unused upstream bandwidth (usually university students).

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 8:26 pm
Ikke how else would he stream ? Just curious because I have gone live with the directions of walkers with no trouble.......

Posted Sun 13 Jul 03 @ 10:06 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Yeah I know Homeboy (altough I worked on your server too LOL). What I mean is: if the guy is asking how to stream, the answer isnt to get a server, technically spoken. If you want to stream, the only basic thing you need is the Shoutcast DSP Plugin, and use an external server.
If you can't use an external server, you indeed need to host one yourself. But unless you've got a dedicated or colocated server (mmm, not really cheep. If someone could bring me an offer :) LOL) its not really easy. On virtual accounts it normally isnt allowed to run servers on the servers of your webspace provider, even if you've got SSH access (which is quite normal), and if you host at home, you're under DHCP, which means you'll also need a DynIP thing, unless you want to tell your listeners every time: 'Now I'm at 243.12.135.126 but within 24 hours, you'll be kicked of, and Ill tell you where to go then' which is quite stupid.
Hosting at home can also be a huge security compromise: if you're using a Windows pc (something you do, assuming you run Atomix) it is possible you're running IIS without even knowing it yourself, and if you dont maintain that thingy... Normally this shouldnt be a big problem, but once you're using DynIP services it could become dangerous. If you're using a router with NAT support at home, you willn'tbe able to host a Shoutcast server (I tried, never got it to work) unless you make the security settings of your router less restrict.
So, to conclude: I think telling a user to host his own Shoutcast server when he only wants to stream things isn't a good solution. Running servers ALWAYS needs a certain level of networking knowledge etc, which you just can't expect from everyone (dont know about this particular user of course).

No offense Walker and Homeboy, Im just trying to make my point clear.

Keep up the good support!!!
Greetz Ikke

PS If someone needs to know how to host/setup/whatever his Shoutcast server or DynIP service on Windows or Unix, let me know if you need a hand

Posted Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 9:18 am
None taken.....Description nicely put ;)

Posted Mon 14 Jul 03 @ 9:35 am
"If you're using a router with NAT support at home, you willn'tbe able to host a Shoutcast server (I tried, never got it to work) unless you make the security settings of your router less restrict."

To be a bit more accurate, you only need to open one incoming port. Only possibility for this to lead in security problem is that you get some virus/trojan from email or so, or there is security bug in your shoutcast server..

Most of the time ISP's use bridged operation though, atleast here..

Posted Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 12:34 am
"it is possible you're running IIS without even knowing it yourself, and if you dont maintain that thingy... Normally this shouldnt be a big problem, but once you're using DynIP services it could become dangerous."

You probably meant something else, as this would mean that IIS is bigger problem when used with DynIP services. DynIP means to my knowledge that you have a host name directed to your current ip. Using one doesn't decrease security, it may only increase the chance of more targeted hack attempts.

Posted Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 12:44 am
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Oh yes it does. If you dont use DynDNS, nobody knows the IP assigned to you at any moment, unless you're using an IM with him or something, or you're surfing his website and he knows its you (if he uses a sitetracker).
If you use a DynDNS service, the attacker will always be able to get your current IP (just ping me.domain.com). Thats the only thing an attacker needs: your IP. And if you have to use the DHCP service of your provider, it can be pretty hard to obtain. Now it isnt anymore.

Posted Tue 15 Jul 03 @ 10:55 am
dogfaceHome userMember since 2004
hhmm shoutcast mixing nice
any ip's for me to listen too? :)

Posted Wed 07 Jan 04 @ 12:25 am
FerraHome userMember since 2004
hi, i'd be happy if someone could help me configure broadcasting through VirtualDJ, step by step... i've already downloaded DSP Plugin and Shoutcast but don't know how to configure ... THANKS A LOT !

Posted Thu 11 Mar 04 @ 2:00 pm
easiest way would be to check
www.shoutcast.com

Posted Thu 11 Mar 04 @ 7:47 pm
Just to jump in on this one! How do i broadcast over shoutcast without hosting/using a server it on my home PC (which I have tried and failed).

Basically I want to broadcast as easy peasy as possible.

Is there a server you can broadcast to which then sends it out to the world?

Don't you just love computers!!! :)

Posted Fri 12 Mar 04 @ 3:11 pm
yes you download the server from shoutcast.com then it streams from your computer to others

Posted Fri 12 Mar 04 @ 7:14 pm
wun12Home userMember since 2004
Hey how do i use shoutcast with virtual dj?

Posted Sat 27 Mar 04 @ 5:02 am
L O L go back to the first message and start reading

Posted Sat 27 Mar 04 @ 5:33 am
wun12,

First, you don't use a cracked version !

Coyote

Posted Sat 27 Mar 04 @ 10:11 pm
77%