Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Mapping Virtual DJ on Pioneer DJM800

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

1ainPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Can anyone help please.

I've just bought a DJM800 mixer and have been totally unsuccessful in mapping VDJ on it. Neither the Pioneer unit or VDJ seem to recognise each other.

My PC and the DJM are linked by an M-Audio 1x1 Midisport controller, and I believe they are set up correctly. (Midi 'In' goes to the DJM with midi out not used - usb connection to the PC)

Has anyone mapped one of these units using similar equipment, or can you give some guidance.

Thanks in anticipation.

Iain

Posted Sat 06 Oct 07 @ 9:28 am
RuudboyPRO InfinityMember since 2007
i have a similar setup, just use an emu cable... have absolutely no troubles here...

When you are in the midi setup menu in vdj, do you see any controller info going on when trying to program a funktion?

Posted Sun 07 Oct 07 @ 5:45 pm
I use your exact setup (midi sport). Do you have the correct midi out plugged into the djm-800.

Posted Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 12:26 am
1ainPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Many thanks Ruudboy and DJ Del Torro,

I had the right cable, but the wrong midi connection into the mixer.

I wonder if either of you can help as you have the exact same set-up and midi programming is a complete mystery to me.

Looking at the manual for the DJM800 and the midi information pages, this is very confusing. What is Bn, VR and how do they relate to VDJ-what is MSB and LSB? (Pioneer manual) It seems that in many cases the information in the DJM manual is not consistent with the VDJ, example: I can find no mention in the VDJ (manual or on-screen) regarding setting of the individual channel faders, unless they come under a completely different name/title. I seem to have managed to get the cross-fader mapped, by luck more than judgement.

I read somewhere that it was inadvisable to map all four channels on the DJM as this can produce distortion - have you heard of this one?. In any event, I am trying to map channels 3 and 4 for VDJ use

Do you know of a concise manual anywhere that really does explain these midi procedures in detail, as both DJM and VDJ dialogue on this subject is scant (personal opinion!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

regards

1ain

Posted Tue 09 Oct 07 @ 7:08 am
RuudboyPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I think you are thinking way to complicated on a simple programming issue, i did the same when i first thought about midi programing with dj software, thinking back to the atari st days... its rather super simple actually:

Go to the general midi setup in rev 4, before versions you dont have pictures of possible dev to connect, so then use midi config.

Have everything connected of course!

Then lets say you want to program a fade of the djm 800, dont know why you would want that because you should mix audio not via midi.. however lets say you want to program the volume control on it...

In the left window select the right fuction let say mixer-fader-- then just touch the fader on the dmj and youll see the midi control number pop up in the top of the config screen and your done! its really that simple, vdj detects the midi signal and you just tell it what to do with it... on some fuctions you have to fine tune a bit with parameters but thats rarely the case...

Hope this makes sense!

Posted Thu 18 Oct 07 @ 12:28 pm
jbunksCUE userMember since 2008
Hi

I'm trying to get the midi to work too with my DJM. Do I need to do anything to the mixer? The manual says hold down midi button whilst powering on to set the midi channel etc. I don't understand any of this really.

Anyone fancy writing a step by step guide? All I want to be able to do is control the video crossfade by the mixer crossfader and fade to black on the sliders.

Thanks

Posted Tue 11 Nov 08 @ 1:09 pm
Hello

Ruudboy and DJ Del Torro do you all happen to use TCD or TCV with your midi setup for the Pioneer DJM800?

Posted Fri 14 Nov 08 @ 2:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)