Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Skips and Crashes when Mixing Large MP3 Files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not sure if this is just a limitation as I realize I'm pushing the software. I create a mix (30-40 minutes) then play that mix on one turntable and mix on top of it. Often, but not always, the software crashes. Seems to be when I hit beatlock....but still happens occasionally when I don't use beatlock.

Any ideas? Is this something the software can't handle?

Posted Wed 27 Oct 04 @ 3:38 pm
Just want to add that it works perfectly if mixing one song files. I see there are lots of posts on skipping but didn't see one that targeted large mp3 files. I did notice something about max load which I'll try tonight. Thanks for any help.

Posted Wed 27 Oct 04 @ 8:03 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's not a limitation of the software, but rather your computer.

VDJ loads the songs into RAM (and I've read they are converted to .wav as well) so we are talking about a ton of memory being used and swapped if you want to use a 40 minute mp3 file.

Add to that the strain of your cpu calculating beatlock, processing effects and such, and you can see why it would blow up.

More ram will help. More cpu might help a bit as well. The software could play 10 hour long mixes together if you wanted...it's just a question of having enough computer to handle it.

Bargler

Posted Thu 28 Oct 04 @ 5:47 pm
Thank you Bargler. I have come to understand I have computer issues. My CPU usage is almost always at 100% when I'm running VDJ. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 04 @ 2:04 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Another tip that may help you....

You can tell VDJ how much time of each song you want loaded into memory. 1 min, 10 minutes, etc.

Right now, you are probably trying to load the full 40 minutes into ram. Knock that down to, let's say 8 minutes or so, and you should have far less problems with your machine being overloaded.

I can't remember where the option is offhand, what with all of VDJ's features, but I'm sure it is in there somewhere. Hope it helps.

Bargler

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 5:36 pm
dev team is also working on a better "mode" of play for the really huge mp3 files... hang around and see :)

Posted Mon 01 Nov 04 @ 1:32 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003

Posted Mon 01 Nov 04 @ 2:59 pm
Very happy to hear that they're working on a better way to deal with huge files. I just upgraded to 512 ram and damn this program is still hungry. I still bump up against 100% when I load one of this big files. I'm going to add another 256K. When I told the guy at the store he looked at me like I had three heads. I guess these computer store guys don't get being a Virtual DJ.

I've been toying with the max load that was referenced (change to 8 minutes or one and a half) doesn't really work too well. If I'm looking to get say 15 minutes or 25 minutes into the song then it causes skipping (or bumps to 99% CPU) if it's not already loaded. I'll continue to play with it until the upgrade DJ in Norway mentioned.

Thanks for the help folks.

Posted Wed 03 Nov 04 @ 9:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)