Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: mk2 and external mixer setup

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ddrmjsPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,

Yes, right now it shows I am using Home Edition. I just received my Behringer vmx300 mixer (yes it's cheap i know but it's a start) in the mail a couple days and I downloaded the 5.0 trial so I could see how the mk2 w/ external mixer setup works because I'm very interested in upgrading to pro version but i need this to work first. Unfortunately I have searched the forums and tried everything yet I'm not getting anywhere.

As of now I have my mixer and mk2 hooked up with the input 1/2 to the input line for the left channel of the mixer and the input 3/4 to the input line for the right channel of the mixer. For my sound I just have some computer speakers hooked up to the 1/8 output 1/2 jack of the mk2.

None of the channels on my behringer mixer are working along with the lights for each channel to show if any sound is being produced. And in my console, I have external mixer checked. Help would be appreciated, thank you guys.

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 4:19 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you need to on pro

choose on sound options

inputs : none
output : external mixer
card : mk2
channels 1/2 left 3/4 right

and in the mk2 software , tick the external mixer box on the advanced tab

each line symbolises a dual phono to dual phono cable

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 6:52 pm
Hey,

Since I have the mk2 and external and no turntables, i guess this picture is sort of confusing me. So I would have dual phono cords in both inputs 1/2 and 3/4 into the mk2, and the ends of them would be going into the inputs of the mixer for channels 1 and 2? The picture has the tables being plugged into the outputs but since I'm using the mk2 as the tables I guess in theory, that is confusing me as well.

Also, maybe I'm not using the right cords? I thought all RCA were the same. Rigth now I'm using phillips dual male stereo audio cables. Are those phono?

Thanks for the help sky, sorry I'm not an expert with the whole connections scene. I really appreciate it. If I can get this to work I'll go pro within the next week :)

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 7:43 pm
rca / phono is the same thing

ingore the turntables if you dont have any

use the outputs only 1/2 to channel 2 on the mixer and 3/4 for channel 1 on the mixer

follow the software steps and all should be well :)

Posted Sat 22 Sep 07 @ 8:34 pm
Alright sky... so I'm getting really close haha. So what you told me made everything much clearer from the picture now. So the lights are starting to react on the external mixer so I know something is going on. Still, none of the channel controls are working and the crossfader is not doing anything as well.

I have the crossfader disabled in the options of vdj, and in the mk2 console I have the external mixer ticked (yellow). My only guess is maybe the mk2 console is like linked with my basic edition that came with it and not the pro trial?? Because everytime I have ext. mixer ticked BEFORE i start vdj pro, then I check it again and it's unticked. But if I tick it while vdj pro is open, it stays ticked if i close and reopen the console but it doesn't change anything.

If anyone has had this problem please throw some help my way, thanks in advance!

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 5:54 pm
external mixer is only supported in pro ,

note when you use an external mixer you cant

cant use it to control the software , your just mixing the output of the mk2

its like using two cd players ,

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 6:02 pm
oh so I can't use it with vdj pro trial? hmm, this presents the question if I should upgrade then right now.

I just don't want to upgrade to pro and then find out my external mixer doesn't work with it. Can you provide any insight for me as far as the compatibility of mixers in general for external mixer mode?

*yeah I understand it can't control the software, but I could still use the mk2 for controlling the effects/loops/etc, correct?

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 6:08 pm
you can use external mixers with the trial , and full pro

just not with the console edition

any two channel mixer will work , as its just mixing the outputs of each virtual deck from the soundcard

which mixer do you have , is it set to CD/line not turntable , how are the channels not working?

you can use the mk2 for effects loops and volume just not crossfader,

if your looking for a professional midi mixer which can control the software and mix
why not look at the nuo4

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 6:20 pm
i have a behringer vmx300. the channel volume controls don't adjust the volume and the gain knob works because the volume level lights for that channel will go up or down with it... but it doesn't actually alter the output sound at all. the ext. mixer crossfader also isn't doing anything. all the channels are set to phono as well.

I understand external mixers don't work with the console edition, I was just bringing up that the console icon in the bottom right corner for the mk2, in it under the advanced tab, there's the "use external mixer" option, and i was asking if maybe the djconsole edition was conflicting with the pro trial. Is there some sort of separate console I don't know about that comes with the vdj pro trial? or maybe I should just completely uninstall console edition?

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 6:30 pm
its worth a try removing the console edition

to confirm on the mixer you have set it to line on both

try setting the faders to sharp

this mixer will not give you an overview of the whole mix ,on the headphones just one channel so you wont hea the mix in ur headphones

try conecting your speakers to the amp (main) output does it work now

Posted Sun 23 Sep 07 @ 6:48 pm
Ok, this is getting frustrating.

I'll run step by step as far as how I have approached this.

1) Using VDJ pro trial to test external mixer setup before i purchase vdj pro
2) Under sound setup:

inputs: none
outputs: external mixer
sound card: djconsole mk2
output channels: left deck chan 1/2, right deck chan 3/4

3) Under options tab in vdj pro, crossfader is DISABLED

4) In Hercules djconsole mk2 control panel, under advanced tab.. "use external mixer" is ON.

5) I am using the mk2 along with a behringer vmx300 mixer. the following pictures are taken from my cell phone (sry my digi camera broke). not all the connections are complete because I am getting a signal from the mk2 to the mixer. the problem is I am getting no output THROUGH THE SPEAKERS. I have tried all different settings and still no success so I am here to ask you all how I can get some SOUND (i need to mix!!).

Okok, this picture has the dual rca male cords going into both the output 1/2 and output 3/4 of the mk2 console.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3346/0924070119wu7.jpg

The other end of these dual rca male cords are going into the phono inputs for channel's 2 and 3 of the behringer mixer (sky, I tried plugging them into the line inputs but no signal was being received).

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2753/pic1fp7.jpg

6) I tried plugging in the speakers through the main out amp rca outputs of the mixer and had no luck.

I don't know if I should note that I have available a pcmia sb audigy2 soundcard in my labtop. Also my speakers are just regular computer speakers that have a 1/8 jack. I used a 1/8 to 2 male rca cord for step 6 above. I guess my hope is that someone is able to answer my question with what types of cords I need, where they need to be plugged in, and what soundcard setting needs to be in vdj. Thank you all in advance, I'm dying to mix! :(

Also, very high quality pics of the mixer can be found here:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVMX300

Hopefully they will help you help me :)

Posted Mon 24 Sep 07 @ 7:42 am
Sorry for double post, I just spent a lot of time making the last one and it was off the page. Hoping sky sees this.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 1:16 am
im curious but try this... try connecting the amp straight into the RCA outputs of the MK2... do u get any sound? if not then ur not getting any form of output coming from RCAs... .from my experience the RCA output only worked if i had RCA inputs.... this also corrolated with the Deck A/B Headphone problelms as it would only work if i had RCA inputs on the MK2... but seeing how u are just using the external mixer to modify whats coming out of the Mk2.... then what i would suggest is *if u havent done so already cuz i didnt read the whole post* try plugging in 1/8" headphones into the 1/8" output on the Mk2... if u get sound then try doing this, get an 1/8" to RCA cord and plug in 1/2 output with the 1/2 input on external mixer and go to amp from there.... see what u get. theoretically what u have to try to figure out is where is the sound from the mk2 coming from. as soon as u figure that out... the rest is cake.

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 7:04 am
well, remember right now i'm just using computer speakers so there really is no amp. I have tried before, where I plug in the 1/8 headphone jack of my computer speakers that would usually plug into my pcmia sound card and plugged them into a female headphone jack to 2 male rca which were plugged into the RCA outputs of the mk2 and sound was produced.

Yes, before when I was just using the mk2 and no external mixer, I would have my computer speakers plugged into the 1/8' output of the mk2 and it worked great. I have tried using the 1/8' to dual male rca cord where i plug the 1/8' into the 1/2 output of the mk2 and the two male rca to the 1/2 input of the external mixer and i didn't get anything.

Right now though in those pictures, with the 2 male to 2 male RCA from the mk2 outputs to the ext. mixer inputs, you can't see the top view of the mixer but the level lights are responding to each channel according to how much gain so I KNOW there is sound going into the mixer. I just can't figure out how to get that sound through my speakers.

I have tried keeping the 2male to 2male setup as in the pictures and then having my 1/8' input from the speakers going into a 1/8' to 2 male rca where the 2 male rca are plugged into the main out of the ext. mixer. No sound is going out... why not? Do I HAVE to have some external amp to send the music to the speakers? It doesn't make sense.

ahh help :(

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 7:39 am
try pluging it into the line inputs on the mixer not phono and set the switch to line

Posted Tue 25 Sep 07 @ 1:52 pm
Plugged line inputs on the mixer and set switch to line... i actually got a signal which i didn't get previously. I still can't get any output to my speakers. Do I HAVE to have some external amplifier to use the main output on the mixer? Because plugging in my computer speakers via 1/8 to dual male to the main out amp output of the ext. mixer isn't working.

I just want to make sure that this is possible to setup by using the mk2 sound card... correct? Man this is messed up.

Posted Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 12:40 am
-hey im having trouble with my hercules mk2 and my laptop , i have more than the minimun capacity request in my lap but still having trouble with the mp3 while playing , they get " slow " you know? like if the computer where processing something but it isnt....

an mbox external soundcard works for this trouble?

help me please :)

*****@*****.com

Sorry no email from no license users, Brian

Posted Wed 14 Oct 09 @ 10:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)