Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Upgrade Memory

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everyone!

I tried VDJ a couple of times live instead of my cd players and I had a couple of crashes. I did most of the tweaks that DJ Coco recommends in one of the postings but I have a Compaq laptop with a P4 2.4 gig and 704 mb of ram. Should I spend the extra $100.00 dollars and take my ram up to 1 gig. Would this avoid my system from crashing or freezing.

Thanking you all in advance,

DJWillymix

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 12:42 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i'd look for an overheating problem first, all of the laptop crashes i've heard of so far are as a result of the laptop overheating...
if you arn't playing songs over 15mins each i wouldn't bother upgrading your ram.

have a look at your temprature settings whilst vdj is running for an extended period of time, i can almost garantee that they will be higher than normal.
east and quick fix for this is to buy an external cooler for your laptop, there are quite a few threads on these in this forum so have a look around ad see what other people are using

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 2:51 pm
I do have a laptop cooler and also an external fan that I adapted in a case. Where can I check my system temperature when I'm playing. Also I've ran other dj programs like Traktor in this laptop with no problems at all. Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated since I think VDJ is awesome.

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 4:54 pm
www.speedfan.com this program monitors your temperature
and controls your fan speed to cool it down,Its free.
External fans are great but be careful the dust will definetly
accumulate more in your machine.
Another solution find is to use a metal cake pan.The heat transfers well from the notebook.Just sit the notebook right on top just make sure not to block any air circulation ports.
Normal temp according to my charts in speedfan is 58 degrees
but sometimes when the club is full it will go to 65 after 3 or 4 hrs seems to be in conjunction with the "Ram Problem"
Higher the ram usage hotter the computer runs.

Regards{:^)

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 7:26 am
Sorry forgot something else!!!!!
www.black viper.com and tweak to safe mode to get rid of unwanted processes.

A la prochaine!

Andre

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 7:33 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)