Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Advice on mixing with the console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a gig in two weeks (100-200 persons) and I want to rely only on my laptop and the console. Anyway this is all what I have. However I noticed that the bass sucks on the console. I find all 3 controls to be so so and I rely on them all the time to fade in the bass etc. I read that many people recommend just using the console for cueing with the jog wheel and perform the actual mix on a real mixer.

Q1 Should I do this to get better sound? If so it does not seems that I can output each deck seperately to the mixer. Right now I am using the channel front for the single mixed output. Could I assign with VDJ 1.09 the rear channel (5-6) or 3-4 to the other deck and output this from the console to the mixer?
In other word, there would be two sets of wire (1-2 and 3-4 for instance) each hooking up on the mixer.

Q2 Does most people use the console for mixing as well and never use the other mixer connected to the speakers (I doubt it). Is so, do you mix with the console crossfader or with the 2 pitch sliders?

Q3 Finally, it seems that a number of console buttons are left unused and unassigned such as Pitch bend, the big knob (supposed to be a mouse...), the two long curvy buttons under the big knob. Which button you never used or always used on the console?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Posted Thu 21 Oct 04 @ 12:31 am
Please give me some recommendation regarding any of the 3 questions above.

I would really really apreciate.

DJ BJ

Posted Fri 22 Oct 04 @ 10:22 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hello bjbladerunner

i allways use the console, nothing else.
as console user you have only 1 soundcard to use, so that's what i have.
my headphoneoutput on the back of the console is plugged in my line-in 1 of an ex.mixer. and line-in 2 of the ex.mixer is used for chan 1 and 2. i don't have to plug my headphone in the console, it's allways in the ex.mixer.
that's easier for me. i play with vdj ,turntables and cd players.
that's why i don't wanna plug-in my headphone into my console.

and i realy use the console 100%. and the keyboard.
never use a mouse for mixing. it's allways hanging around in the browser.

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 6:12 am
true... I use the console for play/cue/stop and nudge with jogwheels, as well as effects and loop buttons, as well as the pitch slider.... And dont use the crossfader or eq knobs...

1) Yes, you get better "sound" using the EQ knobs at an external mixer.. a pro dj mixer have better frequencies and better range than the console/vdj eq.
And YES, you CAN put each deck into 2 seperate channels at the external mixer (and thats the way I use the console + vdj), BUT this is only supported in the full version of the software.. and a main reason for getting the full version.

2) my console is ALWAYS connected to an external mixer at gigs.. using the console without external mixer at pro gigs, I would not recommend. But at a more mobile setting, or at a homeparty etc, you could use the console only... as a full all-in-one package... and thats a nice feature w/ the console, its great for home practise, and even smaller home gigs etc

3) You can asing those "unused" buttons to functions that you need in VDJ. You can do that in the Hercules mapper.
Also, the "big knob" can be used as a joystick and also for basic scratch.. But I think thats might be supported only in the full version? And those buttons next to the big knob can be used to load songs into deck one or two... (maybe also a feature only in full version?)

and... as a last comment, if you use VDJ + console for gigs, its HIGHLY recommended to get the full version, giving you a lot more features etc. And even also the possibilities for scratch with jogweels, kinda fun ;)

Posted Sat 23 Oct 04 @ 3:56 pm
Thanks both of you for the replies.

DJ In Norway, I read many of your posts and I must write that they were all very informative. So thanks a lot! In fact, I found out the limitations of the eq. console buttons after trying one of your mixing lesson tips regarding cutting the base to avoid double bass or cutting the mid to use the voice of the other song.

Because of this limitation, I guess I need to buy the full version (114$). Since I love the Traktor skin I am also tempted to buy instead Traktor 2.5 (soon 2.6). I find the turntable or jug wheel images a waste of valuable screen space and, beside, Traktor seems to have more functionalities. It seems to me that Native has perhaps a better development team but their customer support is not very good (probably due to the wide number of products they have). The reviews of Traktor seems also better and they seem to have more professional DJ users.

A few more remarks combined with 5 questions...

Q1 - I am wondering who has the largest market share right now. Q2 - Am I right thinking the Traktor is ahead? I supposed you are sold on VDJ... (Perhaps like asking to a restaurant if the food is good... ;).

Also, with the new ASIO driver, the DJ console is now fully compatible with Traktor 2.5+.

I wish both product had better support of ID3 tags. Traktor does not read m3u. But it seems the Traktor team understood that it makes sense to store the mixing info in the mp3 files itself (like cue points). At the very least, the BPM info should be put the mp3 since the tag already exists by default!

If I get the VDJ 2.05 I will also be able to use the gain buttons of the mixer. Even though VDJ tries to adjust the volume I find that too often I have to compensate myself with the volume sliders and it interferes with my mixing. I have to always bring back the volume sliders in the middle to let me some margin to add gain if the next mp3 is not loud enough. With a seperate gain button on the mixer I believe it will be easier for me to control the mix. Q3 - Do you agree with this observation?

Q4 - BTW do you mix more with the crossfader or the volume sliders? I prefer the volume sliders (and eqs.) and keep the crossfader for the fast multiple switching between the same two songs.

I have not made any usage of the other software provided with the console (MixVibes, etc.). Q5 - Do you use them or are they simply minor products and VDJ 2.0 covers all the important stuff.

On a seperate point, it seems that since the release of XP 10 the next big thing now is the upcoming release of Finalscratch 2 with the (Standon Finalscratch amp). Pretty good stuff it seems for traditional DJ who wants the old feel and the digital content.

Looking forward to read your answers.

Take care.

DJ BJ

Posted Sun 24 Oct 04 @ 4:35 am
BTW I welcome anybody to reply to the 5 questions above.

In particular, the issue relating to the best way to use the console when connected to a mixer is key. It seems that the concensus is to get the professional VDJ 2.06 (or Traktor 2.5) and to connect each deck to a sperate channel on the mixer and to only use the console to cue songs and perform the actual mix on the mixer (not the console). Any comments on this or the related 5 questions listed in the previous post above.

Again all replies are appreciated since I have a gig in 5 days!

DJ BJ

As a side note, there is a dll to read ID3 tags into VDJ 2. Q6 I am wondering if it fills all the VDJ tags (Title, Artist, BPM, and Comments). I would rather use this than change the name of my song files.

Posted Mon 25 Oct 04 @ 6:28 pm
Is there anybody out there?

DJ BJ

Posted Wed 27 Oct 04 @ 12:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)