Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: My setup with Hercules console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

pitchiePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi again to all VirtualDJ fans,

In my previous post, I promised that I would post some pictures of my flightcase with laptop and Hercules console, once it would be ready.

Well, it is ready since last week and I've put some pictures here : http://www.aimproductions.be/discobar.htm .

In it's original state, this flightcase contained 2 Denon 2000 double CD players with the loaders under the Rodec mixer and the controls right next to the mixer.

So, what was modified :

First of all, I took out one of the Denon's. I wanted to keep 1 Denon in there as backup, but it didn't need to be as comfortable anymore to use. So the controller was moved to the space where the second loader was, under the mixer on the front side.

Then the right side of the case was modified to make space for the laptop and the console. It fits in there nicely. The laptop can be removed easily. To power the laptop, there's a hole under it, so I can plug it in in the sockets on the internal of the flightcase. The ground wire was removed in order to avoid groundloop hums and stuff.

On the front side, on top of the amp, I inserted a shelve which I can draw out to provide a nice large platform for the mouse. In closed position, the shelve can be locked so that it doesn't move during transportation. I made an extra lock on the outside, so that I can lock the shelve at the ideal position (it is too big when it's drawn out completely).

Last, but not least, I built in a heavy cooler on the back which can be seen in the 4th picture. The notebook is just on top of the amp and I was afraid the heat might cause problems. In the previous setup with the CD-controllers, the amp was getting quite warm after playing for a couple of hours. That didn't cause any problems for the Denon's, but with a computer, it can cause serious problems.

I used this setup for the first time last Saturday at a party with about 300 people. This is my 4th gig with Virtual DJ, but it was my first big one (others were smaller parties of 100 people) and the first with this new flightcase. As usual, everything went extremely smoothly. I used the laptop whole night long (till 5 a.m.) and I didn't touch the Denon at all ! With the fan, both the amp,the notebook (and myself!) stayed cool whole night long.

I know have to upgrade to v 2.05. I noticed version 2.04 was available last Saturday, but I didn't want to upgrade right before this big gig. I had used version 2.01 without problems on the 3 previous gigs, so I didn't want to take the risc then, but I will upgrade the notebook this week. Anyone any experience with versions 2.04 or 2.05 ?

Anyway, I trust the new version will be stable, as VirtualDJ is just GREAT software and the right choice for anyone who wants a reliable and userfriendly MP3 DJ system ! Over the past 3 months, I've become a big fan of the program and I wouldn't want to trade it for any other package anymore !

Cheers,

Pitchie

Posted Mon 18 Oct 04 @ 2:46 pm
hi Pitchie .. glad to see you are still around at forum ;)

VERY VERY nice setup, love your flightcase ;) nice...

VDJ 2.05 update is said to be only for timecode vinyl users, and therefore you might not need it ;)

Posted Tue 19 Oct 04 @ 2:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)