Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am seeing some of my "slower" songs having a BPM of 178 or so,why is this reading that high?And what can/should I do with songs that show that much bpm?

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 12:53 am
The BPM detection algorithm has been improved a lot in version 2.02. However, if some songs are still detected at the wrong BPM, here is how you can adjust it: load the song to fix on one deck, and then right-click it in the browser. Select "Edit BPM" in the menu that opens. There are many options in that dialog, including options to double or to halve the BPM's (which often fixes the problem).

macourteau

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 1:15 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 3:56 am
@ mikehende

- DEVIDE HIGH BPM's BY 2 TO GET IT RIGHT ;)

the NEW bpm engine (from version 2.02) gets alomost ALL bpm's right...

BUT, sometimes its hard for the engine to detect if its a slower song, or if its a faster song.. what u need to do if the bpm seem to high, is devide it by 2.... that works fine ;)

I got the right bpm for about 90% of all my songs... slow or fast ;) but devided some by 2, if it seemed to high, and perfect result ... :)

there is also 2 different engines... "ALL MUSIC", and "TECHNO/HIPHOP".... u can choose between the 2 engines in setup. All music gets... eh.. allmost all music right ;) lol... for those it dont get, the "techno/hiphop" gets right... And dont get confused by the label, it works for a lot more music that just techno and hiphop.. ;)

hope that helps...

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 10:55 am
2 questions please:

1]I've now changed the engine to "All music",it was on "hip-hop" all the time,so now what should I do?Should I re-scan my harddrive in the hope of getting different bpm readouts from the previous?

2]I normally would not use BPM's higher than 145,meaning if a song is 150,I would change or use it with songs that are 75 [1/2 just like you suggest],what I'd like to know is,with this software,what would be you guy's "cut-off" points or rather, how high would you go [150,160?] with your bpm's before cutting it in half and playing them with songs with close bpm's?

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 2:14 pm
The easiest way to see if the BPM algorithm got it correct, is to look at the waveform. There are small squares under it. These squares SHOULD align with the beats. The beats are usually recognised as peaks on the waveform. If they line up on the beats, and there are none between beats, then the BPM is correct. Otherwise, it is incorrect and will produce bad results when using automix. If none of the engines gets your songs right, you can still try to manually tap the beat (this is in the same dialog as the one to edit the BPM).

macourteau

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 4:48 pm
VDJ usually doesn't show the correct BPM for my songs (generally hard rock)

It's usually 3 of the 4 beats or 5 of the 4 beats so i have do multiply by 5/4 or 3/4, respectively.

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 7:32 pm
I take back what I just said...I just had to change some settings, now it works fine.

Posted Fri 17 Sep 04 @ 7:48 pm
@mikehende

(1) look at your musicfiles... if they all seem wrong, rescan them all... But the "techno/hiphop" engine can get many right, even if its NOT techno/hiphop, so my guess is that you don't need to rescan them all. Instead use the other engine (all music) for those files that have the wrong bpm :)

(2) its hard to tell, depends on your music style, and the tempo you are playing at... a BIG question for many many dj's is if Britney Spears - Toxic is 143 bpm or 71.5 bpm.. It all depends. I can easily mix "Toxic" into rnb/hiphop songs at 70-80bpm if thats the style for the nite. If the gig is more uptempo (dance), I can also fit Toxic into a song at 140-145bpm.... so, againg..lol.. it depends on your style, the gig, the atmosphere etc :) BUT MANY MANY SONGS CAN BE DEVIDED BY 2, AND WORK GREAT (even if Toxic maybe is 143)

;)
dj in norway

Posted Mon 20 Sep 04 @ 12:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)