Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: laptop config

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

WikkidHome userMember since 2004
greetings...

i want to buy a laptop from the states..

what is a good configuration...

Posted Sun 12 Sep 04 @ 5:01 pm
do i need a usb soundcard with my laptop... waht do i do for two different outputs?

Posted Mon 13 Sep 04 @ 4:17 am
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Really huge problem :)

it depend on your needs, and the way you want to use VirtualDJ ( play through a mixtable, using headphones, stereo or mono outputs...)

What kind of user are you? What do you need? This is the question you have to answer first :)

Posted Mon 13 Sep 04 @ 7:37 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
As long as the laptop has a stereo output, you can use a splitter and have 2 seperate mono channels out. You can then adapt for either speakers/headphones, or mixer usage.
Or, you can pick up a small usb sound device which also has 1 stereo channel out and use the laptops output for 1 channel, and the usb device for the other. Or, you can get a better USB sound device which has more than one stereo output and use just that device for both outputs.
There are many ways to go. The cheapest way is to begin with a stereo splitter (a cable that has a stereo mini jack on one end, and 2 RCA plugs on the other end) try that. If it serves you well, then you can save the expence of a USB sound device. Single output USB devices seem to start somewhere around $30.00.

Posted Mon 13 Sep 04 @ 12:45 pm
i would like to use vdj wherever i go, but unfortunately mp3 mixing has not caught on in India.. i would like to be the pioneer..

if i get a laptop and and indigo dj usb card, is that cool, coz i was going over the thread and it looks cool..

unless ofcourse i can get 2 xp10s... :)))

but even with the splitter, where do the RCA jacks go?? please pardon my ignorance

Posted Tue 14 Sep 04 @ 2:59 am
The Indigo Dj card works really well in my laptop with Virtual DJ.
However, it is a pcmcia card, not usb.
This means it will perform better (faster).

arie

Posted Tue 14 Sep 04 @ 7:28 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would recommed either another basic usb soundcard with a single stereo output, or better.., a hercules dj console, a basic but functional/useable controller with a 24bit soundcard built in, this has muti outputs, or better still 2x xp10's...

But if you don't intend to use a usb/computer based controller.., then i'd suggest a soundcard with two stereo outputs...

then you could use an external mixer, timecoded cd's/ vinyl, or just mouse with headphone pre-listen..

Really does depend on where and how you wish to use the software.., generally the more money you spend the more proffesional the harware....

Regards,

p.s would really love to play in india one day :)

Posted Tue 14 Sep 04 @ 2:51 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Wikkid
It depends on how you want to use it.
you can adapt the RCA ends for speaker/headphone usage, or you can use them in a mixer.

REMEMBER: These options are NOT available in the trial version. You must have the full version to split the output into 2 channels.

Posted Tue 14 Sep 04 @ 3:54 pm
oliwynnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
o yea

Posted Thu 16 Sep 04 @ 8:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)