Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Sound Quality much better when playing WAV

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Of course this is not quite the intention of a MP3 mixing application but i converted some tracks from MP3 to WAV (also normalized them) and then used them in VDJ.
I noticed that the sound quality is really MUCH better than when i play MP3 in VDJ ( i got all the time stretching stuff and everything that is automatic turned off already).
MP3 usually sounds very blurred and bass way too much stressed. I didnt have that when using WAV files anymore. The MP3 decoder of VDJ should definitely be improved.

Posted Fri 10 Sep 04 @ 10:12 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

I agree, Many encoders are very poor as far as quality goes..

In fact i actually encoded my entire cd collection ignorant of how the sounded, the software used lame, but it still was very poor, especially and maybe exclusively on the high end.

I suggest you use CDex, here is the link for dl and a users guide:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/alexanderino/cdex/#download

After useing this all my problems are solved, and the sound quality is perfect, I can't tell the difference from a cd, how it should be.

If you use CDex then be sure to go through the settings throughly before encoding, as you want them perfect!!.

Posted Fri 10 Sep 04 @ 12:41 pm
vbjackPRO InfinityMember since 2004
CDex also uses the Lame Encoder/Decoder to do the MP3 Encoding/Decoding. I am not bashing it (I use It) it is great software. Just pointing out that fact. Also the problem may be that VDJ is doing a fast decode which in turn may degrade the quality of the Audio File. Not sure if that is the case maybe a tech from the VDJ team can answer that question. If it is the case maybe in a future update they can put into the settings where the user can set thier own Quality of the decode. it may slow down the actual load time of the MP3 but this way the user has the choice of a fast decode over a quality decode of the file when loading.

-JaK

Posted Fri 10 Sep 04 @ 2:02 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes both use lame, but that makes them the same in only one way...

Just to clarify my point, some use lame and the result is shocking (bad).

Others produce the sound that lame is capable of.., being perfect sound and indistinguishable from wav.

Bagpuss

Posted Sat 11 Sep 04 @ 11:15 am
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When i'm ripping from CD i usually use EAC (ExactAudioCopy) which is surely one of the best quality rippers around. As encoder i use Lame v3.90.3 which is the recommended version especially when using presets (standard or extreme for VBR). If you anyone is further interested in that encoder tech stuff check www.hydrogenaudio.org ...
The problem of bad mp3 sound is surely not caused by the ripping program (considering you are using CDeX or EAC which are both very good). Actually you end up with the 'source' material WAV. At this stage there shouldnt be ANY difference to the CD sound cuz you are dealing with a exact copy! When using a crappy encoder or a low bitrate there definitely will be loss of sound quality.
What i hear in VDJ is not a badly ripped/encoded MP3. When playing it in Winamp on my stereo it sounds perfectly fine. VDJ maybe decodes MP3 very fast or something else in its program routines causes that blurred sound. I dont really know. But it definitely doesnt sound like the original MP3 could sound. Hopefully this will be fixed in future versions.

Posted Sat 11 Sep 04 @ 5:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)