Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: rear speakers dont work

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

alicooHome userMember since 2004
i have 4.1 creative speakers and 2 rear speakers dont work in any mode with the dj console.
any help please?

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 9:18 am
If I understand well what you are saying, you have your front speakers plugged in the 1-2 output, and the rear speakers plugged in the 3-4 output?

If this is right, you can have your sound coming out of all speakers, but you won't be able to pre-listen in headphones. All you have to do, is select the "Standard" mode in the Hercules mixer, and the first icon in the list on the panel "Sound cards" in the VirtualDJ configuration.

You could also try getting a splitter for your channels 1-2 so you can plug all your speakers in that output, so you can still pre-listen. If you choose to do that, you should set the Hercules mixer in "Advanced" mode, and choose the last icon in the list on the "Sound cards" panel (the DJConsole picture).

Hope this helps :)

macourteau

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 1:33 pm
yes u are right, i have the front speakers plugged in 1-2 and my rear speakers plugged in 3-4.
Now my problem is not when using the cosnole but when in standard mode and listening to music or watchin DVDs. I only get sound from the front speakers. I tried it on my friends 5.1 creatives and he didnt get sound either...
is there some setting changes that need to be done?

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 5:57 pm
Did you try plugging your rear speakers in the ports 5-6 (it's written 'Rear' on the DJConsole)?

Also, did you check the volumes in the Hercules mixer to make sure they are on?

Finally, in advanced mode, load VirtualDJ and start a song on deck 1, and load an other song on deck 2. Start playing both songs. Do you hear the preview of deck 2 in both the headphones plug AND in the 3-4 plug?

macourteau

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 6:22 pm
yeh i tried to put em in 5-6.. didnt work..
they work in advanced mode.. when the headphone is on.. which i think is useless... cos i want all 4 speakers to be on without having my listeners hear what im hearing in the headphones... what would that feature be used for anyway?
it just lessens the sound cos i have to disconnect the rear speakers so i dont sound like im screwing up a mix...

plus cant i have both channels playing through the headphones at the same time? cos this way ill have to mix with the headphones in one ear and the other ear listening to the main speakers...

oh and yeh, i still dont get the 5.1 (or in my case 4.1) sound that hercules boast about! what gives?

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 6:33 pm
The test for pre-listening was just to see if you sound outputs were working ;)

For both channels in the headphones, this is possible. It all depends on the skin you are using ;) On some skins there is a slider to hear both channels. Otherwise, you can create a keyboard shortcut to change the value of "headphone_mix" to 4096... this way you'll hear both songs in the headphones.

I really don't understand why you don't have output on other channels than 1-2 when the mixer is in "Standard" mode... Here that outputs 2.0 sound on all channels, and 5.1 sound is decoded properly on all speakers.

You can also try modifying some windows parameters. Try Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices. Then, in the "Audio" tab, choose "Advanced" in "Sound playback". Maybe changing the speaker settings there will help... :)

macourteau

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 7:00 pm
oh yeh the test worked fine.. thanx!!!

i dont get how to change the keyboard shortcut for the headphone to recieve both channels...
im using the advanced skin that came with the hercules dj console... i tried a couple of other skins and didnt like them cos i felt they were too cluttered. the original seems to be the best...

and as for the windows settings ive already changed them before... dont know wat to do with this problem... ill look in microsoft support...

oh and the joystick on the dj console used to be able to manuver the mouse pointer but it just stopped doing that.. its not a big problem but does it work for you?

thanx for all the help... really appreciate it! =)

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 7:13 pm
The joystick works here... just had to disable and then re-enable it in the mixer for it work... :)

To set a keyboard shortcut:

1- go to the panel "Keyboard shortcuts" in VirtualDJ;
2- click "Add...";
3- then in the 1st list (leftmost one), choose "system volumes";
4- choose "headphone_mix" in the 2nd list, and then press the key you want to use for this on your keyboard;
5- finally, check the box that says "Momentarily", and set "Value" to 4096.

After doing this, click "OK" on all boxes until you are back to VirtualDJ. Then, when you'll hold that key down, you will hear both channels in your headphones, and when you release it you will hear only one channel ;)

Hope this helps,

macourteau

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 7:25 pm
To set a keyboard shortcut:
ahh the joystick has to be enabled... ok.. now for some reason the enable box that i have to check is how u can say umm not working... basically i cant check it... i thing something has gone wrong when i updated the driver from the hercules website.. ill reinstall the program and see how it goes..

as for the VDJ headphone thing... thanx for the detailed explination.. i really needed it!! hehe...

but i cant seem to find "system volumes" on the leftmost line... there is "headphone mix" though..

and the second list has:
"on default desk"
"on desk one"
"on desk two"
"on active desk"

anyways, i fiddled around with it and got it to play both channels in the headphones but even though i ticked Momentairly, it stays like that.. so if i wana cue up another song the song playin on the speakers are playin in the headphones... kinda bothering as well!!

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 8:07 pm
Well these explanations were based on VirtualDJ 2.01 since it's been a while I haven't used the DJConsole edition ;)

I use that shortcut a lot and it works just as I described it... There should be an option in the leftmost list that has a headphone_mix in the 2nd list... That option is called "system volumes" here...

macourteau

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 8:28 pm
ive found out that the problem with the rear speakers is a windows setting that i dont know how to change...

anyone with a diagnosis?

Posted Wed 01 Sep 04 @ 5:34 am
Do you have more details as to what the windows problem is? It's hard for us to help you out if you only say "it's a windows problem" ;)

The more details you give, the more we can help you... :)

macourteau

Posted Wed 01 Sep 04 @ 11:12 am
sure.. if only i knew wat the problem was... hehe
the thing is, my console is hooked up to my laptop (Compaq Presario 1700) and the output is conected to creative 4.1 speakers. The front speakers are connected in the pin output (1-2) and the rear speakers are connected to Centre (3-4). I also tried Rear (5-6).
Now the problem is that i dont get sound out of the rear speakers no matter where i connect them. I only get sound in Advanced mode of the hercules mixer when im using my headphones.
Ive tried everything with the console, speakers and the software. Nothing worked.
So my conclusion is that there must be some setting that i need to change in Windows. What that setting is, I dont know! I tried going to control panel, sound audio devices and changed everything. But to no avail...

I dont know what to do. please help.

Is that enough information? cos thats all i know... There must be some setting in the computer that needs to be changed for it to work (I think)

thanx so much for trying

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 4:16 pm
djlarsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Similar problem...
Clean Win2kSp4 install, Shuttle shoebox with internal soundcard and legacy/sounblaster support disabled. Only installed Virtual DJ 2.01 and the latest firmware and drivers from Hercules' page.
Hercules drivers has set console as primary soundcard, and speaker setup as 5.1 in the Win Controlpanel.

Herc.DJ config is in standard mode, Virtual DJ is set at the 4.1 soundpanel setting. No sound at all at rear(5-6) output, at front/sub(3-4) I can monitor the deck activated by headphone button - active is "green deck" in Vdj.
Both decks playback fine through the front (1-2) output, only bug with the controller is I have to reset bass/mid/treb at each startup, as they "wander" 3-5 degrees. Not always easy to remember/check.

Have tried "soft3d" and "7.1" output in vdj, same results. Tried also the "surround speakers" and "quad speaker" setting in Win Controlpanel...
Tried "Advanced" on Herc. settings, and all the options again.

System :
Hercules console firmware is V34, driver is VC031G.
Win2k sp4
DirectX 8.1
P3-933, 512MB, integrated S3 Twister graphics.

Virtual DJ 2.01 - not installed console version, cause I need 2 x stereo to my Numark, which also has separate headphone mix.

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 4:53 pm
Oh My God!!! Just disregard my above message!!
(it's not even similar, as this post is started by a "console user")
Lol! Heh & Errrr...

*Hark*
Sorry 'bout the doubt in config and your software for a while - please forgive me! Thought this was a similar issue to getting BPM-Studio to work stable with my 7.1 soundcard, kernel drivers, reboots to get new settings etc. etc.

I haven't played around enough with the settings in Vdj ;o)
*Suddenly* I realized there was a scrollbar in the sound setup menu....
And guess what? There's all kinds of settings down there!

A 4.1 soundcard with two cables to a small blueish mixer i just rememberd not seing there from the earlier versions...

One click, sound output from deck two to rear (5-6), better channel separation and image, and each deck on its own fader - hmmm, this may be written in the manual...
Errr... however, I rest my case and bow to the dust for your product.

All the best
/Lars

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 5:09 pm
alicoo: it's hard for me to help you with this problem as I don't have 5.1 speakers... I know my DJConsole works fine in 5.1 as I tried switching my speakers from one output to another when I was playing a 5.1 movie, and I had different channels on each output. The default windows/hercules mixer settings worked fine here.

Maybe you could try installing an other copy of windows on another partition, with a clean install of the latest Hercules driver... Just to see if the problem is with your configuration of Windows ;)

macourteau

Posted Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 8:10 pm
loool... ;) Just found djlars' posts to be very funny ;) hehe

nothing like discovering new scollbars..hehe ;)

Posted Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 8:32 am
Just keep laughing fellow countryman, with M$, Hercules AND general VDJ settings it's a little to easy to miss such small "details" ;o)

Finally moving VDJ into production, as I've been reviewing the different versions, and the herc. Console for quite some time now.

VDJ 2.01 seems nice, would appreciate a skin with a "BPM-studio" kinda layout - which I've got used to over the years, and learned to like the left deck/right deck panes with a main waitlist, and filebrowser and "favorite" folders at bottom left.
Guess this may be a copyright issue, not "skinnable" 'cause the dynamic lists cannot be changed through the xml, and would require serious rewrites of code..

This is btw food for a different forum, not topic here - and I just have to use it more, get used to the file/playlist interface and so on...

Keep up the good work, good luck with your rear speakers alicoo - you've had quite a few good tips here.

First one from me may be to check sound in controlpanel, (surround or 5.1 selected in speaker setup), volume settings and modes in Herc. controlsenter are you familiar with, then try a testfile - eg. this one : http://download.microsoft.com/download/winmediatech40/Utility/1.0/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/6channel.exe

Think it needs WinXP and Mediaplayer 9, or winamp with the right codec.

Tried Console on another system yet?

/Lars

Posted Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 5:22 pm
do u get sound from all your speakers when u play music? or just the front?

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 9:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)