Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: brief but annoying silence when mixing between tracks

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It only happens when I playback my mix that I recorded and only when it's recorded as seperate files for each track. At each track transition there is a "dead" moment in the transitions. This is new problem. Used to not be there and now it is. Can't do any mixes till I fix it. Any ideas as to the problem?

~Alan

Posted Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 1:37 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Do you use an external mixer ? What's your config ?

I use an external mixer and I record with an external wave editor and there's no problem (VDJ doesn't know if we active or not the external mixer faders).

Clax

Posted Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 7:11 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It's probably the mp3 thingy again ;) The problem is, that mp3's have a bit of silence at the beginning and the end of a track, so whenever you make an mp3, this "silence" will be included, no matter if you started recording at the same moment of playing the sound. So just record in wave's, and should work. It's an old "problem" you know ;) look here:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=5543

Hope that helps

Posted Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 8:33 am
Thanks for the feedback but I may not have made myself clear enough. I do record my mixes into wave files. Instead of one long file I index each track using record feature in VDJ that let's you manually (or automatically) record your continuous mix into seperate wave files (select "record into multiple wave files; button with scissors cuts track manually or automatic feature can be used ). This has always worked well with smooth transitions between tracks in the playback...just as it sounded "live". Recently VDJ puts in a gap anywhere from very brief to a few seconds, and then picking up the track but the mix is now useless. Nothing has changed with my configuration, op system, etc. I have 30 GB left on my hardrive so should be enough memory. No external devices are used.

There must be an explanation. Just tell me where to look or what to "trouble shoot" for. Is this problem possibly similar to the "skipping" others are psoitng about. If so, why is it only in payback of recorded mix that it ocurs, never live. Can't find any other posts with this specific problem and I am not a computer wizard, just a mixing wizard :-)

~Gruvguru,
Atlanta, GA

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 11:09 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well that's new.. As clax already suggested, tell us your configuration, it could lead us to a solution of the problem. Maybe if a processor is too busy loading songs, playing samples or using effects, could cause a gap when creating a new file... Not shure, there could be many reasons for it.

Anyone else with such problem using wave recording?

And do you use an Auto-cut automatic or manual (or is it the same at both modes)?

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 12:33 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
What software are you using to play back these files? VDJ is probably not inserting silence (unless there was silence in the mix) at the beginning or end of a track. It could be a setting you need to change in the playback software, or if you are burning them to a CD, I know that by default NERO adds a 2 second gap between tracks unless you change the properties and re-set the gap to 0 seconds.

Open one of the files in a audio editing software, like Cool Edit, and see if there is any actual silence either at the beginning or at the end of these tracks.
For this choose one of the tracks from the center of your mix. There may be silence at the beginning of the first track, or at the end of the last track. But the middle tracks should have no silence.

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 2:58 pm
@Gruvguru

I am in Atlanta too, do you play anywhere live with vDJ ?

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 3:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)