Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Running two instances of VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Can you run two vdj programs at the same time?
The idea is, if i have two running at the same time (one playing and one on standby), and one crashes for whatever reason i may have, i can then close it down and immediately start using the other one without having to re-load it!
Any thoughts...what are the implications of this, advantages-diadvantages etc etc
Cheers. Craig

Posted Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 6:39 pm
its possible to have 2 (and more) VDJ programs running at the same time... even over a LAN/network synced between 2 or more PC's ;)

so - you could have a backup running IN SYNC on your PC, or even an extra PC ;)

The network synchronisation lets you run several instances of virtualdj and mix between them ;) can even have 2 dj's playing back-2-back on a network .. in sync ;) cool

but as of performance implementations, u really have to try, I guess.. depends on the power of your pc, ram etc

Posted Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 6:45 pm
It would be on one PC, running in standby in the background. Thanks DJ-In-Norway....I will try this.
Craig

Posted Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 7:08 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
having a second pc as backup would be the best backup. but if u just got 1 - like djinnorway says, it depends on your setup. If you want to use a 2nd instance of vdj just on standy and you don't have an especially roboust system or you just wanna play it safe, you might be better served using a lighter less intensive program like winamp, etc for backup. That's what I do at gigs.

Monitoring under windows performance task manager, when I put up a second idle vdj in the background, cpu usage doesn't change a lot, but mem usage goes jumps up significantly -- and that's with the 2nd vdj simply on standby. But when I open up winamp with a few loaded songs instead for backup, mem usage hardly changes.

You should try monitoring your system under the performance section of the task manager with multi instance up and see what happens, maybe you'll be fine. I have a system with good specs but I don't wanna tempt fate so I just use winamp for standy; which I haven't had to use yet but it's there just in case.

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 9:22 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
could always run the almighty atomixmp3 in the background, program takes up next to no rescources at all

Posted Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 2:26 am
Excellent....thanks guys....will try both and see how I get on. My PC spec has 1gig ram but I too wouldn't like to risk it. Thanks again. Craig

Posted Tue 03 Aug 04 @ 8:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)