Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: new user needs advice on laptop spec. - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ok - I'm going to purchase!

Just a general note to say how impressed I am with the community advice on this forum. This is the first time I have ever used a forum on a website and it's been a very positive experience!!!

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 12:56 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
:)

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 1:02 pm
xp pro,good job.......should be a good unit. are you using this at the gig? what is the laptop's purpose? home unit or back up ?? building a shuttle or something akin to it excellent idea. if you get the above laptop turn off the wireless connectivity and the anti virus ,screensaver....turn all power mgmt options to never.then install all important items..... the wireless connection will ceaselessly search for connections when the unit is on and can interfere with installs....that's 4 easy quick things you can do to help make installs "take " on the first try......dj in norway and others here have some great listings of optimizations if you need those things. strangely when the unit comes out of the box it may already need a defrag. for trouble shooting purposes never vary more than one variable at a time......if you have many new things to do at once (and you do) methodically do one at a time and then check that all is well before going on to your next item.
since you are in a time crunch I would say don't get a soundcard til after the gig.
you can do this.

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 4:48 pm
hope my american slang doesn't " separate us by a common language"....lol

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 5:49 pm
OK - where do I begin. Purchased laptop on friday, loaded software everything seemed fine. tested until saturday night everything ok. So i'm ready for gig sunday. In my wisdom I decide to purchase pro version late sat. night so I download and install. I thought that it would automatically replace the home edition - but it didn't - I tried to uninstall the home edition but this didn't work to well either. Anyway after testing my pro version it seemed fine apart from when i pressed the sync button ( on console) it jumped back a block instead of locking to the nearest ( which is what happened on the home edition ). I can live with this as I use pitch bend anyway.

OK on to the gig ...... I set everything up with an hour to spare - so I have a couple of drinks to ease the nerves. Then I check everything again. This time I notice a loud noise when there is no music playing - maybe hard drive / power / fan !! panic - noisy laptop!! not only that but when I go to play a track the arm moves onto the record but refuses to play !!!! then I get active x or sound error message (im not sure about this as I was panicing and didn't pay attention to the message. Now I'm in a real tiz with about 5 mins bfore gig kicks off. Time to ditch laptop and put desktop in place. Fire desktop up and what happens - no loud background noise great. I relax again. Then I start gig after first track I realise I can't preview anything in headphones and only the track thats playing comes on when I swith to mix. NIGHTMARE.
Luckily I have a cd deck set up for this sort of situation. I fade this in and close program, reboot and you guessed same again. In the end I switched back to home edition which was still on my desktop and.......everything is ok!!!!!

I get through the gig without anyMORE major probs - but the sound seemed to dropout slightly and periodically. (Nobody noticed this but me)

So now I need help as they want me to be resident at the bar. Next gig is this friday.

Summary of probs!!
Why did I lose headphone preview on pro version - with home edition everything was fine!!
Do I need to uninstall home before installing pro if so how when I now have both versions on pc's (and it's a good job I did on Sunday).
How can I get rid of noise on laptop.
How do I get rid of sound drops on desktop ( I maybe using desktop for a while before I get my laptop running right)
I will try and recreate error message which resulted after music would not play even though track loaded but does anyone have any ideas.

HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Posted Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 2:40 pm
If you purchased pro enter your serial # in ur profile.

Why did I lose headphone preview on pro version - with home edition everything was fine!
You need the MK2 mapper you can only get this with ur serial # entered.

You should uninstal the home version but save your database file first.

How can I get rid of noise on laptop.
Is the power plug 3 prong?? If so it is ground loop and it is easily fixed either with a 3-2 adapter or a HumX.

I will try and recreate error message which resulted after music would not play even though track loaded but does anyone have any ideas.

I have a feeling your sound setup is incorrect, check to see if MK2 is being used as your soundcard.

Posted Wed 22 Nov 06 @ 12:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)