Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: new user needs advice on laptop spec. - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
in the uk many companys are giving out free upgrades to home premium for systems over 400 pounds

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 12:28 am
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
First off, whomever is recommending that Warenleef buy a desktop is either a fool or insane. For the 5% power boost you'd get from a desktop over a laptop, you need about three times the space for transporting, a separate monitor, and it'll take a half-hour to setup instead of two minutes at the most. The ONLY reason anyone should even CONSIDER buying a desktop setup is if you are a permanent resident DJ at a single venue, and you rarely, if ever plan to spin anywhere else. I have gone to more than one club where I barely had room for my laptop, and if I had to find room for a desktop box, separate monitor (with an additional power plug), keyboard and mouse, I would not have been able to spin anywhere.
Second, just to give you a point of reference: My laptop is a generic P4 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2700, outboard USB 2.0 60GB HDD, Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roadie, built-in AC97 audio (just for monitoring, obviously), 64MB crappy built-in video, and Wireless G. With this, I can mix MP3's flawlessly, and have never had any issues with skipping or crashing. Video, however, is another issue. I CAN mix video with it, but it can take a long time for them to load, depending on the codec used. The system you're thinking of buying has a lower clock speed, but the dual, hyper-threaded cores can easily make up the difference. If the video card is interchangeable, that's a definite plus, because you'll be able to upgrade it if you need more power.

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 3:14 am
this insane fool doesn't shout or insult while making his views known.My original system was a desktop with a flat panel and is easy to transport from club to club and wedding to wedding. It became the back up system when I got the laptop. Since I have both types of systems I am in a good position to speak about both types.
When I start doing video I am going to revert back to the desktop and give it some more ram and a better video adapter.Neither of those upgrades can be done with a laptop. You should really tone down the rhetoric/ ranting it's truly uncalled for.

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 5:18 am
skyfxl how much is a pound at the moment? Home premium as in Vista has home , home premium, business and ultimate ? I think those are the 4 flavors. I read somewhere that I can only do an in place migration to either home premium or the ultimate , not the other 2. Another reason not to get media center edition.

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 5:32 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I must be a fool then....a little insane at times too. feel free to check my blog for my stoopit lookin' desktop that takes hours to set up.
ummm, ya the one with 2000gigs of storage and a full sized pcie video card that smokes any video format I want to run on it.

I gotta straighten out one of these days, I knew I was doing something wrong.

BTW, please refrain from personal insults towards users trying to help with advice.
I got the message.....

Rick

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 6:30 am
chucknorrisyouwimps wrote :
skyfxl how much is a pound at the moment? Home premium as in Vista has home , home premium, business and ultimate ? I think those are the 4 flavors. I read somewhere that I can only do an in place migration to either home premium or the ultimate , not the other 2. Another reason not to get media center edition.

there are 7 editions

as clearly stated on the vista website

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 11:56 am
djhaoziHome userMember since 2006
Sorry ! Chinese people in the here ??????? I don't spking English , Are you help me ? My TEL:******** , thak you very much !

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 12:32 pm
I can find Vista starter which is briefly mentioned as unavailable to the developed world, and enterprise which is for global organizations, otherwise just the 4 flavors.....maybe there's a 7th that's a server or some other conformation. For all practical purposes just the 4 regular flavors.

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 4:08 pm
I did it again....lol got on a vista tangent. Warrenleef ask mp3jrick about his shuttles....you could build an awesome system by purchasing the different components a' la carte......

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 4:14 pm
Vista Business
Vista Enterprise
Vista Enterprise pro
Vista Home Basic
Vista Home Premium
Vista Ultimate
Vista Starter

and longhorn server will aparently have 6 editions

taken from the information given to users who are beta testing RC2 and RC1

Posted Sun 12 Nov 06 @ 6:27 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Fair 'nough. I just checked out your rig. Impressive, but I think it proves my point, in a manner of speaking. It's definitely overkill, and far from a typical setup. A crazy rig that you've poured a crazy amount of time and a crazy amount of money into. It is possible to use VDJ (and still have it sound good) without all that extra equipment, and most won't be able to bring something that large to a club. It suits your needs, but I suspect most users simply don't have the obsession needed to build such a pimped-out rig, and it's not required to use VDJ.
Your situation is the opposite of, say, someone who hasn't even purchased a copy of Virtual DJ telling someone how to build a system around it, or to suggest that you can't build a usable DJ rig around a laptop. That upsets me a lot more, because it's simply not true. But, I just tell myself that those people just don't understand the capabilities of VDJ and/or modern laptops, and are not deliberately trying to mislead people.
Even though I stand by my statement, however, I withdraw it. I did word it too harshly in the original post.

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 11:18 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Dach,
I wasn't trying to impress you, just nullify your profound statements towards another user who was trying to help
Nobody has the right to gauge a user by his status btw, some non licensed users have plenty of knowledge and experience, some are soon to be licensed just like you are.

Having build several systems I would argue it's "definitely overkill", although not typical either.
An idiot could built this system, plug in a processor, a hard drive, memory, a video card and it's done, simple.
So I want to counter your "pimped out rig" comment, I have only assembled a system that is suitable for future upgrading, unlike the typical laptop and found a way to bury it out of sight.
In fact, yesterday I upgraded to a dual core processor, it cost me $250 and I have sold the original processor already, try that with a laptop will ya.
I don't think anybody said or suggested that you can't build a usable DJ rig around a laptop.

I never mentioned how much I "poured" into that system either, not sure how you came to that conclusion.
The core system cost me $2500, and I know of another user who just bought an equivalent laptop and spent 4K.
Basically it's a core desktop, with a DAC 3, Fast Track Pro sound card and Xsession plugged into it, no different than what gets plugged into a laptop.

That unit weighs 70 lbs and has been in clubs with no issues, in fact the set up time is minutes, just an AC plug and patch for sound just like you, except I don't have to hook all that peripherals up like you do.

I'm not looking for argument, just trying to open your eyes a bit and to ask that we don't mistreat people based on their user status with names etc...

Thanks

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 1:52 pm
Things are going ok with the desktop after taking advice from everyone cheers... but here is another question.....should I normalise the levels of mp3's with Mp3 gain before using them in vdj or is this a bad idea??

Also the automix function seems a bit naff. cross fader lingers in the middle + vdj seems to create its own que points after a couple of automixes - any advice as this feature may come in handy for longer gigs.

Posted Mon 13 Nov 06 @ 11:38 pm
ooh, that sounds like the problems I had.....I had to reinstall. Also some of us can tell you how to do a cleansweep or how to boot and have your sys running nothing but windows services during the install then get back to the normal boot after the install is done. Not as hard as it might sound.

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 4:24 am
To repeat some thing s Ive posted before, this experienced Traktor user has 2 legal copies of Traktor,one on my original desktop system,and one on a laptop that's been seriously optimized and now runs very well inspite of having xp media center. In fact I can download and rip and play Traktor;I often do this at the club.......I can do this because I've turned it into a dedicated music box; many things are turned off.In spite of the dual processor and 2 gigs of ram plenty of tweaks were needed.
I can't generalize about the experiences of others but I can tell you that my laptop is twitchy and temperamental compared to the desktop system which has lesser specs..........I am migrating to video and am not yet licensed nor very experienced with VDJ. The desktop system is going to be the video rig .I've already run a little bit of video content and an additional monitor on the laptop and it wasn't as good as it could be.....that's in the nature of the laptop,not the software.........

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 4:58 am
.... ok could you let me know how to reinstall with only essentials running?? gig is only 5 days away! - any advice on whether I should be using mp3 gain to normalise or does this affect the quality of the files??

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 9:10 am
gladly

click START/ RUN/ type MSCONFIG/ enter

select SELECTIVE START UP/ uncheck load startup items

select the SERVICES tab select hide all microsoft services

uncheck all results click ok

when you reboot you will only be running windows services an d you can do the install, make sure the anti virus is off afterwards go back to the msconfig and recheck load start up items i gotta go run to the club i will try to check back while i'm there

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 5:27 pm
chucknorrisyouwimps - sorry for delay in getting back to you but I haven't had chance to get in front of my pc - please keep an eye on thread as I hope to sort it later. Cheers.

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 11:01 am
I have finally decided to buy a laptop to start with as this will suit my initial needs - thanks for all advice so far! I am also going to custom build a powerful shuttle type desktop for video etc. (hopefully with more advice from everyone out there)

Heres the laptop spec;

Price £ 750
Product Description Toshiba Satellite Pro A120-160 - Core 2 Duo T7200 2 GHz - 15.4" TFT
Manufacturer Warranty 1 year warranty
Dimensions (WxDxH) 36.8 cm x 26.8 cm x 3.7 cm
Weight 2.8 kg
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Hard Drive 100 GB - Serial ATA-150
Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g
Power AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
RAM 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 533 MHz ( 1 x 1 GB )
Graphics Controller Intel GMA 950
Audio Output Sound card
Cache Memory 4 MB - L2 Cache
Optical Storage DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
Display 15.4" TFT active matrix WXGA (1280 x 800) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
Telecom Fax / modem - 56 Kbps
Input Device Keyboard, touchpad
Battery Lithium Ion
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
System Type Notebook

My only worry is that my last laptop was a toshiba and when used with mk2 it resulted in a lot of pops and clicks. Is it ALWAYS possible to remove all pops and clicks following forum advice??

Any views on spec. welcome.

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 11:29 am
Graphics Controller Intel GMA 950 = bad for video

but overal good for sound :)

Posted Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 12:10 pm
87%