Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Corrupt Database Repair Tool

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
** JUST UPLOADED FOR APPROVAL - Oct 26, 2006 **

Here is the readme text that I am supplying with the tool.
So watch the External Tools Download section for when it is available.

Application - runVDJ.exe (distributed via runVDJ.zip)

Installation

Save the downloaded Zip to your VirtualDJ directory
Extract the contained file
Create a Shortcut to your desktop.

Using the Program

First Time
1. Dbl-Click the shortcut

2. You are prompted to select your VirtualDJ Database (<<Your WinName>>).xml file
The Setup will create an INI file, validate your XML database, repair it if necessary, and make backups of your MP3database and VirtualDJ Database files

3. You will then be asked if you would like to Launch VirtualDJ after every use.
If you chose Yes, then you will have the following benefit

-> When you exit VirtualDJ it will validate the XML file then it backs up both MP3 and VirtualDJ database files again. This is because both those files could have changed during your session.

If you chose No, then you will have to run this program each time you want to validate your Database and create backups.

Continued Used
Each time you use the shortcut it verifies the XML file. If the closing VirtualDJ tag is missing it will correct the XML file, if it is beyond fixing it will restore your previously backed up copy.

You are prompted for Repair or Restore. I tell you the file size differences so you can choose what to do. Remember, a Restore is simple replacing the current version with the Backup version - what ever has changed or been added since the last backup will be lost.

Files created for use by the Tool
AutoBckp.INI
Two files with .bkp as there extensions
runVDJ.exe - Program

**NOTE** at anytime you want to restart from the beginning just delete the INI file.

Also, just to be safe, you should manually make a backup of your XML file before you use the tool. Again, just a personal re-assurance for your own peace of mind.

cstoll

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 3:24 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
genious :D!

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 3:26 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Thanks for the tool!

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 4:23 pm

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 11:13 pm
Just sent an update in - Don't re-download unless you see the note Dated Oct27,2006.

Found a small bug and fixed it.

Posted Sat 28 Oct 06 @ 6:15 pm
erdiPRO InfinityMember since 2004
you're the man

thanks

Posted Sat 28 Oct 06 @ 11:10 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Chris, here is a bug i found with the tool.

I edited my xml by just removing a character at the last line to make it appear as "corrupted" in order to test the tool.
Indeed, it asked me to raiper/restore, in both cases i tried it does it right but when vdj is openning the "validate/processing" pop up remains on top just waiting (no way to move it or close it). At this point (with vdj running) i checked the xml with notepad it was ok/repaired.
Now when i close Vdj the tool ask me again for corrupted db (repair/restore)
This is odd because as i said, both xml and backup are ok on disk.
The pop up dissapears however after the repair/restore task this time...

Another point, the tool is only checking the last line, as i edited another character/line and only vdj itself find it corrupted (tool check pass..)
Not bad, just manual check of the xml needed in this case..

If possible to let user to add another location (in addition to vdj home folder) for a second backup in another drive (define in ini file), just an idea for a future update.
Because... "data that exist on only one hard drive, ... does not exist ...!)

Posted Tue 31 Oct 06 @ 1:06 pm
Thanks for the bug on the pop-up - will look into it.

As for the other validations - I specifically started with the missing last tag - since 1 easiest to recognize and correct. Validating all other entries will take some time to code - and I am working on it. Takes time because I have to figure out the best process to save time - and I don't know what methods are being used by VDJ to do it's validation. I will be working on it.

Again, Thanks!

cstoll

Posted Wed 01 Nov 06 @ 1:01 am
just downloaded...

fantastic piece of software to go with my new hercules mk2

Posted Sat 25 Nov 06 @ 11:18 am
DJ DNSHHome userMember since 2009
i have installed virtual dj 5.0 in my pc but it shows error in file skin %.
how will i repair it

Posted Sun 19 Jul 09 @ 1:21 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Download the latest version and use a VDJ supplied skin.

Posted Sun 19 Jul 09 @ 10:26 am
is there something like this for mac. cause it happens when i add more then say a thousand songs. and i got much more then that.

Posted Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 2:46 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Virtual DJ has database repair built into it, makes sure you are using the latest version. Topic locked as it's an old thread for an old tool. If you have issues, start a support thread in the relevant forum.

Posted Thu 07 Jan 10 @ 9:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)