Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Really getting frustrated here...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is getting silly now....

I spend $250 on a Hercules MK2 - packaged with what is apparantly a pretty hobbled version of Virtual DJ...seems to be basically the 'home' codebase that is an entire version behind. You think if I wanted to DJ at home, I'd buy one of these things?

I install it on one computer, and decide that I don't want to use that computer. So I install it on a new computer purpose built for broadcasting, and find that I can't upgrade the software...supposedly your website tracks downloads by license key? So I can't upgrade my 3.2 code to the latest rev. Stupid.

Integration with Icecast. Maybe it does it, but forget about running against icecast2. Saw in your forums that you only support icecast, not icecast2. Go do an internet search on Icecast, guys. It's dead. Gone. History. At least shoutcast worked ok...

I check the website to upgrade my hobbled, old, and now non-updateable install to your 'latest' 4.0 version. Ooh, a whopping 40 Euro discount. I don't think so...not quite yet...so I pour through your documentation and find somewhere that VDJ 3.x supports Napster integration..

Cool, I say, pay a monthly fee and be able to stream from a library of 2,000,000 songs...ok, maybe this is still viable.

Nope. apparantly the version that came with my $250 paperweight doesn't support this integration either.

So here's what I would like... Napster stream integration so I can interface directly with their library, and at least the ability to get maintenance upgrades for my hobbled old version of software that I just bought last week! What I dont want to do is drop another $200 - $250 on software *that I already paid for* as part of the purchase price of this paperweight. I'd consider a 'reasonable' upgrade fee...say $99, but I think you guys are smoking something serious if you think you're gonna lift another $250 out of my wallet.

So do what you will with this. You can ignore me, tell me to screw off, or take care of me...you're call. Depends on how much you want another customer to use your product professionally.

Please feel free to contact me at the email address I gave you in my registration.

Respectfully Submitted,

Al Gartner

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 1:47 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Al, your opening sentence said it all
agartner wrote :

I spend $250 on a Hercules MK2 - packaged with what is apparantly a pretty hobbled version of Virtual DJ...

You spent $250 on the Hercules MK2 - and as the packaged application you got a VirtualDJ version tailored for that package deal - the Console Edition.

So to go beyond that Paperweight with some free software, you are able to get the Pro level version at a $40 / 40 Euro discount.

Sorry I can't go beyond what you have asked, but you paid for the equipment not the software.

cstoll

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 5:51 am
dunno bout everything else, but i think you can upgrade your version...im looking at an available v3.4, and im sure if i download it, it will unlock the subsequent versions..

you think all the other herc users would be sitting quiet if they could not access vdj 4??

take a deep breath, relax and contact e-service with your problem and they will help you out as far as the update issues are concerned...as for the price and paperweight issues, its all about the fine print..

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 5:54 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ Rudra - you purchased the Pro Version that has your access available to the updates. Until a Herc user updates to the Pro Version, they are limited to the Console Edition that came with the Herc. Most people that start with the console edition upgrade to the Pro Level for the added benefits - upgrades (to-date FREE), additional features, etc.

cstoll

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 6:00 am
So, in all fairness, the VDJ team did *immediately* reset my account so that I can at least update my existing software. So at least there's that much. I understand the comments made here...the software included *is* functional with the MK2 and at least get one going. But at only a 40Euro discount, there's not much incentive there to help me 'seal the deal' and upgrade to VDJ pro, as there are other competitive solutions out there for roughly the same cost.

The end all is that I'm at least functional, and can work around things like Napster integration by just downloading songs into my library, which could get expensive quickly. I'm not taking this out professionally yet, just doing internet broadcasting right now, and I think everything as is should be sufficient for the task. At least I have the opportunity to give both VDJ and other similar software a fair shake and choose the best one for my purposes eventually.

Regards,

-a.

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 11:59 pm
cstoll:

In reference to your comment about buying the console and not the software, I'm sure VDJ got a sweet deal from hercules to include this software as part of the MK2 package. I doubt they gave the code to Hercules for free.

-a.

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 12:01 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
If you need update for your Home version of VDJ, you can ask for it here: http://www.virtualdj.com/contact/
but there is not Home version 4 of VDJ, just to let you know.

Posted Thu 26 Oct 06 @ 1:39 pm
@ al..

see al, i told you the folks at vdj were a nice sort..

as for the incentives for going pro...

first and foremost, as cstoll said, the fact that pro users get free updates..that alone is not much, but if you take a look at the version history, you will see that virtual dj has undergone a virtual overhaul (sorry, could not resist that one :)) ) as far as the sound engine is concerned..

and the fact that video performance has also been dramatically improved..not everyone uses video (i dont) but its nice that the option of better quality video mixing is available to me should i need it, without the addtional cost of another software..

oh and did i mention free updgrades.. :)

theres a whole bunch of other stuff like skins, plugins, effects yadayadayada... (personally im at a loss to understand why the use of these amazing plugins is restricted to pro users only, but until the guys upstairs change that, we are stuck with it)

so i would personally consider going pro (which i did, went pro first, got the console later) and run with the software that is on the edge of the horizon as far as pushing the innovative envelope goes..

NOW WAS THAT A PITCH OR WAS THAT A PITCH!! :))

but seriously, i think going pro is great option..and at the end of the day, the software is anyway one of the cheapest in terms of feature per dollar and fourty dollars/euro is nothing to sneeze at..

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 1:34 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
consider the software as a sort of gift

added to the package

if u want it full u gota buy it

this was clearly published before you purchased it so ....

i personaly upgraded and am very happy

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 1:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)