Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: file loading fails ungracefully....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Ok, this is likely my fault, but it is still highly unacceptable.

I have been trying out a new wireless storage server, and the result is, it plays the files, and mixes tracks from it just fine. The problem comes when it can't keep up with scanning the tracks, and the current position actually reaches where it is still scanning. VDJ completely locks up, and there is no gracefull recovery.

It could be that my previous problems with VDJ were due to bad files that VDJ also doesn't accept gracefully, but I doubt this, as I've been able to play the same track again, still in VDJ, and it works the following time.

I'm trying to resolve what is repeatable to isolate the exact problem, but please look into a more gracefull resolution. I haven't been able to even do a 3 finger solute to kill the current process in this case, and it forces a physical reset of the system to recover.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 9:41 pm
Obviously not worth acknowledging.....

Posted Wed 25 Oct 06 @ 1:47 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
--wireless-- one of the #1 causes of crashes and issues -- WHY? Look at the IRQs for your hardware and you will most likely find that the Wireless adapter is shared with your Sound Card or Video card. VirtualDJ needs pretty much dedicated performance from both with nothing else interfering in it's functionality. Anytime your Wireless card hits a snag in transmission it eats the clock for the devices sharing the Interrupt Requestor (IRQ) and WHAM BAMM crash. Graceful or not there are somethings software just can't trap for.

I know this doesn't give you a solution to your problem, but it's the best explanation I can give to why things might be happening.

cstoll

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 3:50 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
as cstoll said because its a wireless storage device

there is bound to be some lagg and when the lag gets bad crashes happen

is there a way u can plug into the device? like a cat 5 network point?

as large files such as mp3s are likey to cause this

hope that helps

Skyfxl

Posted Fri 27 Oct 06 @ 3:51 am
Problem solved!
I Quit using VDJ! ;)

Seriously! When I use my other software, and the track mysteriously dissapears, it drops it and moves on to the next instead of crashing hard like VDJ.

No sweat, I'm outa here!

Thanks for the laughs VDJ along the way.

Posted Tue 07 Nov 06 @ 7:35 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
MusicalMadness -

Sorry you believe that it was the right choice. That is the wireless solution, let me know where you are so I can get some free tracks. But, seriously - sorry to here such a drastic solution to your problem. I am sure you will be back, but in the meantime - HAPPY MIXIN'

cstoll

Posted Wed 08 Nov 06 @ 12:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)