Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: FREEZING

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hello All,
I've been using vdj for a while now and it's been a fantastic hit!
But the last few nights I have experienced the program just freezing and the music stopping. I then have to close the program (via the 'x' at top right) and then double click the desktop icon again and starting up again. This is really weird! The computer seems to be still functioning but the pc won't respond to anything other than the close function. Any ideas? I have two gigs this weekend and would like to sort this out. I will say that i have been messing around with the sound card seeting lately to get the best sound, could it be this??
Thanks guys! Craig

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 5:39 pm
Oh by the way I'm using the version prior to this latest release! Please help!!!!

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 7:33 pm
Anyone................pleeeaaaase!
I've read some of the threads posted....it's not hyper threading as it's an AMD Athlon chip not Pentium.
I've done all the tweaks suggested in the win xp thread. I did notice that there was an IQ conflict between my soundblaster card and something else....I can't move the soundcard to another slot as there isn't one available...any ideas how to overcome this???
Desparate now.....!!!

Posted Tue 20 Jul 04 @ 10:23 pm
hi there yourself ;)

this is most definitively a irq conflict...

try go to device manger, and disable soundcard, and then enable (activate) it again, so that it will be asignet to new irq... irq's can be shared, but not all hardware likes that, so if soundcard asign to different irq shared by OTHER hardware than now, this can be ok...

if irq dont re-asign, uninstall soundcard or conflicting hardware, and restart windows, so that windows will asign it to different irq.

hopefully this will solve it..

a freeze in vdj are likely to be a soundcard irq conflict OR graphic card conflict... or even worse, graphic card and soundcard share irq...

try reasign to different irq, i think this will help :)
if not, un-install vdj, and reinstall, there might have been a corruction in the install process
(remember to backup database)

Posted Tue 20 Jul 04 @ 11:43 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
if all else fails try moving your Soundcard to a different PCI slot. this will force windows to assign a different IRQ

Posted Wed 21 Jul 04 @ 1:46 am
Thanks guys. I've looked in the system info and this is what I see:

IRQ 16 VIA/S3G KM400/KN400
IRQ 16 Creative SB Audigy

Does this mean there is an IRQ conflict, because there isn't a 'yellow exclamation mark' in the device manager dialogue box!!?!?!! Also when i pick the soundcard and display driver it states there are 'no conflicts'.
I need to eliminate this so i can move onto trying other things!
Cheers

Posted Wed 21 Jul 04 @ 6:17 pm
yes! ;)

some devices can share irq's with no problems at all, while others can't

and I can see your screen-card AND sound card share the same irq, both used extensivly in vdj (waveform and music play) - so my guess is that this makes a crash...

try unistall drivers for soundcard in device mangager, and restart windows. Windows will then reinstall the soundcard automaticly, and hopefully on different irq..

if not, try change the pci slot :)

hope that helps

Posted Wed 21 Jul 04 @ 6:49 pm
I tried uninstalling the driver to it and re-starting. I then went into the system info and it was still there sharing IRQ 16. I cannot put the card in another slot as that was the last one!
Is there another way of doing this???

Posted Wed 21 Jul 04 @ 7:26 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Maybe try to disable power functions in BIOS. I used to have a conflict with my PCI ADSL Modem and I resolved it only like this.

Clax

Posted Wed 21 Jul 04 @ 10:04 pm
vbjackPRO InfinityMember since 2004
what is your OS? you can manually assign a different IRQ in win 98 and above. If you have Win 2000 or above you need to logged in as an adminsitrator.

goto control panel, open system, then goto hardware, then device manager. select your sound card, not the audio drivers, the actual sound card, then click the resources tab.

from there you can change the IRQ - if you are not sure what you are doing. Do Not try this - it can mess up your system.

I would first try unistalling the sound card then shut down the PC, then swap the sound card with another PCI card in your computer (just swicth the 2) then restart the computer. That should change your IRQ.

-JaK

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 1:48 am
Cheers guys!
Will try this tonight! Fingers crossed!!
Craig

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 12:10 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
if it was your last PCI slot just swat it with another PCI card and this will fix up the IRQs, the other card will probably have no trouble sharing an IRQ and then the Graphics and Soundcard wont be sharing anymore

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 2:57 pm
I spoke to the manufacturer and they told me my cube pc has only one pci slot and one agp slot. The soundblaster is connected to the only pci slot there is. Can i reassign the irq numbers any other way....it's faded out when i go to device manager!!
Thanks

Posted Thu 29 Jul 04 @ 6:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)