Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Adding Video Input to a Laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
At the club I work, we've got a CCTV camera pointing at a catwalk where the hotties can go up and dance.. it's connected to a video switch with an RCA (composite) cable, but I'd like to actually be able to control it with virtual DJ. I DJ with a laptop, mostly playing videos, and using the sonique visualizations (now that they work properly) when I play audio only.

I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for a device (USB, firewire, PCMCIA, et al) that I could use to connect the camera to the computer so that I could use the virtual DJ effect for it. I've seen a few devices that should do this, but most are fairly expensive :P

I once bought a video card with this capability for under $100, so I wouldn't expect a device that does this to be above that price bracket.

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 7:59 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you have a digital camcorder with RCA inputs and firewire connectivity, then you should be able to use that as your video interface. True, a digital camcorder is going to cost more than the $100 you specified, but it is something you probably already have. Plus, when your not DJ'ing, you can use the camcorder for other uses.

There are relatively inexpensive video capture devices out there that can be used though. Here's a cheap USB2.0 device. I can't vouch for its quality but it would probably suit your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815276003

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 9:27 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)