Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Lighting and Sound Coordination

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

For various reasons, I want to run Virtual DJ on one computer and a DMX lighting control software on another computer. I do want to coordinate some or many music tracks with specific lighting sequences. The lighting software hasn't been selected yet, but I'm looking at Elation Compu Pro and Chauvet ShowExpress. I know that the Show Express requires you to run the music off the same computer as the lighting and use either their built in MP3 player or Winamp. I'm not sure about the Elation product. Can someone advise on this? Are there other packages I'm not aware of out there?

The budget won't support WYSIWYG at $6K.

Thanks.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 7:52 pm
Daslight is a good bit of kit. (www.Daslight.com) It automatically pics up sound either by mp3 playing, Mic input or even line in. Very easy to use and the visuals are amazing.

Hope this helps.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 8:11 pm

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 8:13 pm

I've taken a quick look at DasLight and was originally impressed, but am concerned about support for it. (Since the company is in France and I'm in USA.) Of course, "support" is a relative term nowadays, but I've heard more about "Light Jockey", "Compu Pro", and "Show Express" than DasLight. I was hoping to see them at the recent International DJ Show, but they weren't there.

Along with synching to music, I also need to be able to take over moving heads to use as followspots.

I'll download the software tonight and take a look at it to see if it works for me.

As far as the "freeware" goes, I'm really leery of anything like that.

Thanks for the input so far.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 10:37 pm
This feature was requested already some time ago.
See for more info here and here

You could also check Sunlite
Ewout

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 11:55 pm
Hey, if you would rather pay for it then more power to ya! The interface is almost identicle to Light Jockey and works perfect!

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 12:00 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
have u had alook at the built in dmx?

it seems basic but good to me :)

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:05 am
I have used Light Factory and FreeStyler and others , you can get quite a bit of Bang
for little $$ with them ,,you will need a DMX dongle . Many are reasonably priced (USB x DMX 512)
Still really have not used 3.4 or 4.0 VDJ DMX ,,only played around with 3.4 ver a lil bit.

You might consider using MIDI to trigger your lighting cues ,pretty usefull and easy to setup off most
audio sources ....perhaps TEAM folks can add some thoughts on this subject ???*S*

Best wishes

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 5:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)