Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Equipment Recommendation - 4 Newb Teacher

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am a HS teacher (prior computer tech/network admin) and have had numberous requests from students to buy some equipment for the VirtualDJ program they use in class. My class is an open-technology projects class that students can learn anything, one of the popular of course is music....beats, live music and djing.

Since I am not a DJ, Ive done my best to research what they will need. Of course here are my restrictions:
1. Have to be purchased from a vendor that accepts purchasing orders. The two I found are www.pssl.com / www.platinum-records.com
2. My max budget of total items cannot exceed $1500 US (as close to this amount as possible as less money I will just loose it!)

My own requirements:
1. Has to be as computer oriented as possible (laptop + software). I need for students to interact with virtualDJ but not remove it.
2. Interact with my other classroom instruments, we have (iGuitar, Maudio Ozone, Yamaha DD55)
3. Karaoke capable for students to sing.....not even sure if VDJ does this but some type of easy hookup equipment like the one hercules has. Two students want to be on two different screens (or projectors) and be able to sing a duet and use VDJ in real time to do some effects while karaoke?
4. Students are required to do a 'presentation' for a final grade if they choose djing. This means they have to do it for 'real' somewhere at a dance, party, club...etc. I know $1500 doesnt make a professional, but I just want to get my students as close as I can with the equipment of this budget.

Student Requirements:
1. They want to do traditional DJ (vinyl) if possible
2. Needs to have the VDJ interface replicated via hardware...controller?
3. They want to use the VideoDJ part of it more....any hardware I need?
4. Hook-up their their ipod or other mp3 player
5. Use CD instead of turntables.

Here are the different packages I put together (just ideas):
1. Option 1 - Numark Virtual Vinyl + Numark DJ-in-a-box
2. Option 2 - Virtual Vinyl + MK2
3. Option 3 - Virtual Vinyl + NU04 + Technics MKII

Here are my questions:
I am basing my hardware purchases straight from this VirtualDJ website in their hardware section and what I am reading from these forums. This doesnt mean I cant go with other items or brands though I like it when I stay with one brand (Numark). Can someone explain what each of these things are and what they do in lamens terms. Seems to me that I dont need one of each, but here is what I figure so far:

1. Virtual Vinyl - comes with a rebranded virtual dj, lets you use turntables to mimic records from mp3s.
2. Hercules MK2 - is this the same thing virtual vinyl does but without having to have turntables?
3. Technics MKII - turntables that are good? All I have been told is buy direct drive, I want something realiable and good enough.
4. XP10 - I cant find this on the two sites I mentioned, but looks like it controls all the software funcitons directly?
5. UC33e - not really sure, maps some stuff from VDJ
6. DAC3 (or even the 2) - no clue
7. Dvinyl - no clue
8. BCD2000 - see this in many areas on the forum, is it like the MK2 from hercules?

Bottome LINE:
1. Need someone to actuall BUILD me a DJ package(s) from one of those 2 websites and stay @ the budget and explain why.
2. Your doing this for the greater good of students learning this @ the HS level and participating in the scene.
3. I have until two weeks to buy these items.....help me obi-one kanobi, your my only hope!

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 1:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)