Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: low level noise humming speakers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all any help would be appreciated
When my laptop is plugged into my sound system ( crown amp and mixer 4 JBL speakers ) with all power on there is no problem, until I start VDJ, a medium level humm emitts from the speakers it is not noticable when the music plays loud, and seems to stop for a second while a track is loading on a deck A or B this sound does not happen when playing music through the same with winamp etc. I did read about ground loops in another forum and this does not seem to be the problem I am running a Dell with an Audigy Platinum card and my music is stored on an external firewire drive I dont know if this info is related to the problem but it seems to be specific to when VDJ is up and running
Thanks Clay

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 6:23 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Does the problem persist if you disconnect the mains and run the laptop on batteries? Try also disconnecting the firewire drive as well, just in case the hum is coming from that... I know this in itself isn't a fix, but might help diagnose the problem... It's a long shot if you say it doesn't cause a hum with winamp, but hey, worth a try nonetheless...

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 7:19 am
Most laptops will give a hum, when connected to a sound system. The cause is a ground loop problem in the power supply of your laptop. You could test this like djsherz said, to disconnect your power supply from the mains. Search the forum for ground loop. Several threads with good solutions could be found.
Ewout

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 9:56 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
It can be a Ground Loop problem, check this thread.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 2:14 am
Thanks all for the advice I am going to try some of this at home this weekend see what works.
and I am reading thread this place is great

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 5:34 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
No problem ;), keep us posted.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 5:48 am
nxgn1PRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 6:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)