Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Progressive Pitch Bend Function

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
On most DJ CD players, pitch bend gradually increases the degree to which the pitch is shifted, and then when you let go, it snaps back to where it originally was. In VirtualDJ, is there a way to emulate this functionality? Normally, pitch bend is just a constant shift.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 10:00 pm
I think your thinking of nudge...am i right?

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 4:14 pm
Nudge is something different, no? Part of the scratching featureset?

I mean a temporary increase or decrease in tempo.

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 7:50 pm
I was actually posing this question for DJ E-lectric, who wanted me to add this to my skin, but I told him how you could right-drag the pitch slider to change the bend, then let go of the right mouse button to have it snap back to where it started.

That seemed to do the trick for him... but still, it'd be nice to be able to do this gradually increasing pitch bend if you wanted it. Certainly not a big priority in my books though :P

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 5:37 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Use the pitch_reset function with no paramter (NOT pitch with param "reset" !). The default shortcut is CTRL+num[*]
CTRL-clicking the reset button in default skin calls the same function.

Supcaon wrote :
I mean a temporary increase or decrease in tempo.

Basically, that's what nudge is. Momentary tempo adjustment to correct the phase (for example in beatmixing). Scratching would be a very heavy nudging :P Sort of... But I know what you ment, progressive (& automatic) is the keyword :)

Regards.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:53 am
Progressive pitch bend is when jog rotation translates into pitch change based on time, not rotation rate. So the longer you rotate the wheel, the faster the pitch becomes. This is sometimes called nudge, but many people call normal rate-based jog bending nudge, too. Pitch bend buttons should always be progressive, but as to which is more natural for the jog... that's a matter of opinion. The classic way is rate-based and is less confusing/counterintuitive, but a minority prefer time-based because it emulates vinyl nudging with a stationary platter/jog. American Audio and Vestax have used time-based. Probably the most important consideration is the ease of the other group in using their less preferred method. It is simple for a nudge fan to use a standard jog, but often much harder for standard jog users to deal with time-based nudging. I'm not aware of any CD or media player giving the option to switch between the two, but VDJ should be able to allow it with some scripting wizardry.

Posted Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 12:30 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Really?? You dig up a 7 year old topic about and request that already has been implemented over 5 year ago?

Please look at the dates before you post in a thread... and then know what you are even responding to before you respond.

Topic Locked

Posted Tue 03 Sep 13 @ 1:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)