Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Low signal level with maya44

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I just got in two Denon S3500's last night. Man, are they ever pretty. Anyway, I hooked them up to my mixer, which will be replaced within a week, and noticed something interesting. The lsound level seemd a lot higher with the Denons connected directly to the mixer than when I had the Maya 44 outputs connected to the mixer. Also, I noticed that the hum that was always present with the maya setup (the hum was only noticeable with no sound being fed through the speakers) was gone when I connected the denons instead. The only chages made were: Two denons instead of the maya's output. I used the rca cables that came with the denons (the cheap kind). They are not as good as the rca cables that are connected to the maya (gold-plated connectors, thicker cable). The true test will be when I get my new mackies srm450's within a week, too.

I always though that the hum was due to a long rca cable run from the mixer to my receiver. Apparently, that's not the case. It seems the culprit might be the maya. Correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't a level adjustment for the maya44, right? I'm writing from work, so i can't check it out right now. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 6:22 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Maya or any sound card can't have that high level signal if there isn't some pre-amp inside. You have a gain on external mixer so you can level them the same as Denon's. The hum you are having is a Ground Loop problem, lose your ground on PC and it will stop or get Ground Loop Isolator. I use a stabilisator (the thing that make 220V all the time ;) ) and it kills ground loop problems as well.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 7:27 am
I have a laptop. How do I get rid of the ground loop problem? Maybe a wire from the mixer's ground screw to one of the laptop's port screw? Also, can you please tell me more about the "stabilisator" of which you speak? I'll probable switch to a pc at some point.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 8:10 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
try to run laptop just on battery.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 12:00 pm
Well, you can tape it on power cord (in Europe it is 220V and it has pins on the socket so all you have to do is tape the pins on the side and a little hole, if it has it), but in America there is 3 pin, I think, and one of them is ground. Isolate ground and try if the hum stops to see if that's your problem, it was mine :). BUT, don't leave it that way, I mean, you can work like that for the day or two, but it is dangerous to leave it like that all the time. Instead, get a Ground Loop isolator that goes on RCA's between Mixer and Amplifier.
Oh, and yes, xeon is right, running on battery will kill ground also ;) .
About that Stabilisator, I don't know, it is some old one, and it stabilazes Voltage between 110V and 260V and makes 220 Volts all the time. You can ask in local electrical shop or Music Instruments shop, they should have it. Mine is small, but I know that 5KW model is around 250 Euros. 5KW is enough for your entire setup, even power amplifier.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 5:02 pm
If this computer is laptop, there is no needed to have ground. because ground goes just to power adaptor, not to laptop. I have plug without ground and i have no ground loop problems.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 5:08 pm
If I try to run laptop off the battery, It'll last maybe 45 mins, much less for a 4 hr gig. Also, I plan to use my denons with a denon mixer. I plan to utilize the digital (coaxial) outputs. Do they have an isolator than plugs into the coaxial jacks? DJ Alf, I know you were referring to the output of the mixer to the amp. In my case, the output of the mixer will be going into active speakers. I'll probably use either the 1/4' jack or the XLR jack.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 8:35 pm
You don't need to run on battery. Just to try if it is ground loop.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 8:54 pm
Oh, ok. Xeon. Thanks.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 8:57 pm
DeeJay EL wrote :
DJ Alf, I know you were referring to the output of the mixer to the amp. In my case, the output of the mixer will be going into active speakers.

Than you gonna put Ground Loop Isolator between mixer and your speakers and the hum will be gone ;)

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 6:42 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ-ALF wrote :
DeeJay EL wrote :
DJ Alf, I know you were referring to the output of the mixer to the amp. In my case, the output of the mixer will be going into active speakers.

Than you gonna put Ground Loop Isolator between mixer and your speakers and the hum will be gone ;)

Actually the ground loop isolators should be between the Maya outputs to your Mixer inputs. Not questioning DJ-ALF, but most ground loop isolators are RCA on both ends, so unless you are going RCA out of your mixer to RCA in on your Amp or Active speaker (which is highly unlikely), then you should connect the isolator between the Maya and Mixer.

cstoll

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 8:36 am
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
DeeJay EL what version of virtual DJ are you using?
and what skin?

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 9:42 am
@cstoll
Yes, I know that, but he would need more of them that way if he's using 2xstereo outputs? Ground Loop Isolator is for one channel only, I think.

Posted Sun 03 Sep 06 @ 7:26 pm
I was using vdj 3.4 and pioneer cdj700 and default skin. I haven't had a chance to to use VDJ4 with maya setup yet.

Posted Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 5:44 am
moramaxPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

verify if the skin is set follow the red arrow

open the set and verify if the option "automatic gain" is on "always 0db"
open the mixer of maya44 usb and veryfy if the channel fader and master are all at the maximum value
the master of the skin mast be at the maximum value too.The master is the first fader in the top-right of the skin.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:55 am
Yes. gain is on "always 0db" and the maya mixer's channel faders and master are all set at max value.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 1:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)