Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: sleazy marketing - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

ok been said many times but many seem to agree so:

Sticker on the hercules box says "Virtual DJ Full professional dj software".

And in actual fact we get a limited version with no upgrade path, no discount on a upgrade to full version and no access to any extras.

I could live with all this if in fact I could buy a cheaper upgrade to full version. Surely Hercules has paid some money to Atomix to license the version 1.09 with every dj console so surely atomix can pass on some savings to offer a discount upgrade price for those who bought the hercules console.

definately misleading and the arragance and hostilty that seems to get posted on here from official representatives is enough to make me wonder what sort of support I would get if I did buy the full version.

not a way to win or keep new customers.

Posted Sun 04 Jul 04 @ 2:57 pm
cihxHome userMember since 2004
i think it's more the fault of hercules, for printing the wrong sticker on the box.most audio stuff comes with a inbetween versions of software( meaning between demo and full).cause f we did get the full with purchase of the hercules, then it would be a sweet deal since vdj cost 100, and the dj console cost 250.which means in essence that we paid 150 for the dj console.
but a discount would be cool though. my audigy 2 came with a "creative " edition of fruity loops, and to go to full producer edition i got a 30 discount.something like that would be cool. but hey, at least they are continuing support for this,and it wasn't just a 1 shot deal :)

Posted Sun 04 Jul 04 @ 5:20 pm
spindemPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It is the full version! No time limit or limited features.

It does exactly what it says on the tin.

What do you expect for free?

Posted Sun 04 Jul 04 @ 7:58 pm
spindem,

no it is not the full version.

it does not run without the dj console
it does not do multicard output
it does not even use all channels on the dj console (can't activate channels 5/6)

I don't expect anything for free, but I paid $420AUS for the dj console which claims it comes with "Full professional dj software" Virtual DJ so it is a bit of a slap in the face to find it is limited in many ways.

Yes it is almost definately the fault of Hercules marketing being a bit aggressive but I think that Atomix and Hercules could work out a deal between them to offer discount upgrades to full version for DJ Console owners. Surely doing this would go a long way to ease bad feelings and win many new (happy) customers for atomix.

Posted Mon 05 Jul 04 @ 3:06 am
I have the console and used to use the version that came with it for many months. It is an excellent bit of software. Alternatively there are other software packags suppled if you are not happy with vdj.

Of course it will not run without the console - it is a console version of VDJ. Why would you want to run it without the console????

You paid $420AUS for the console which comes with free version of dj software. Some are limited/trial versionsbut VDJ has no limit to the uses.

The problem is what is 'full professional software'? I would class VDJ as 'full professional software' however it doesn't mention it is the FULL version. There is the confussion!

What if you had not received a copy of VDJ with the console? What would you rather?

At the end of the day you can moan until you are blue in the face. The fact remains it is by far the best software for the job and like I say I used it for many months without any problems.... and it was free!

So ultimately you have 4 options:

1) Use another bundled application with your console

2) Use VDJ as it is

3) Pay the small amount to upgrade if you want all the bells and whistles

4) Take the console back and get a refund.

The choice is yours.

Posted Mon 05 Jul 04 @ 10:59 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
well put

why are you not using newdj that comes with the herc LOL!

Posted Mon 05 Jul 04 @ 2:13 pm
spindem I don't see what you have to do with this.

it's real simple.

The marketing is misleading, yes it is probably Hercules fault it seems most consumers on these boards have been mislead by the wording on the box.

It would be a good gesture to a lot of annoyed people to try and work out a deal with hercules to offer some kind of discount to DJ Console users to "unlimited version"

You cannot argue those two things, they are facts.

I agree that the DJ software that is provided is good, it's useful and no it does not expire but it still not what the wording on the box lead me to believe I was getting.

Posted Tue 06 Jul 04 @ 6:07 am
>spindem I don't see what you have to do with this.

Hmmm maybe because I purchased the console just like you!!! DUH!

>You cannot argue those two things, they are facts.

>I agree that the DJ software that is provided is good, it's >useful and no it does not expire but it still not what the >wording on the box lead me to believe I was getting.

Aha! 'the box lead me to believe' Assumption is the mother of all fu** ups :)

As I said previously:

The problem is what is 'full professional software'? I would class VDJ as 'full professional software' however it doesn't mention it is the FULL version. There is the confussion!

Posted Tue 06 Jul 04 @ 8:42 am
"It would be a good gesture to a lot of annoyed people to try and work out a deal with hercules to offer some kind of discount to DJ Console users to unlimited version"

I'm affraid the 'annoyed people' are outnumbered by all the happy customers out there, who are staying out of this argument... So it's not like everybody that bought the console is unhappy about this, so why would vdj or hercules bother?

I didn't even had eyes for the sticker, and didn't know virtual dj before I bought the console. So outside a few unhappy (and maybe greedy) people in here, most customers don't really care...

I don't say it wouldn't be nice to have a discount for console users to 2.0. Would have bought it already if it was 49 euro or so. But it isn't so I'll keep on practising on the 1.9 version.

I'll probably be just as bad a dj with the 2.0 version...

Posted Tue 06 Jul 04 @ 3:25 pm
Hercules will not do you a deal unless they put their hand in their own pocket. Can't see that happening!

Hercules only supply VDJ, they do not own or distribute it (other than with a console)

As far as I understand it VDJ supplies copies of the software free to huercules (and why not?).

SO why should VDJ give you a cheap upgrade?

Ultimately their software gets greater exposure and they rely on people buying the software to make money. This seems a great business opportunity and also benefits the customer as they get to know about VDJ!

The problem all boils down to peope presuming it is the full version of VDJ. I myself had no problem with the software, and maybe because I am in business myself didn't mind having to pay the small amount for the FULL version.

If the software was 500 euros then I would like a discount to upgrade. There would also be a big enough profit margin for VDJ to discount the product.

So put your hand in your pocket if you want all the bells and whistles or put up with the version that is suppled which is still much better than 90% of the software out there. I used it for many months and loved every minute of it and best of all I didn't pay a penny for the console version.

Personally I have not a great benefit from V2.0 over the console copy other than 1 or 2 effects I use - mainly spin back. But I am an old school mixer and not into the bells and whistles.

Still, I don't moan about it - I just get through life and I am happy :)

Posted Tue 06 Jul 04 @ 5:54 pm
ivarPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hi

i just bought VDJ and i'm having the console for month
it's not that much money and think about the future
you pay once and then you GET IT ALL FOREVER

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 7:24 am
What a load of crap... the console costs about 250 EUR (you can find them in Carrefour Belgium for 219 EUR). The software is DEDICATED for the console, meaning SPECIALLY adapted.

I recently bought Pinnacle Systems Clean Plus v5.0 with USB preamp. After installing the program told me that "if you want to convert your WAV recordings to MP3 you have to buy a licence at our site". Does this mean that the program sucks? No it does not... but since I have an official licence of MusicMatch I can convert my files with that program.
This is the same with the Hercules dj console: it works, you can do everything you need to do with it, but if you want extra's, then you have to purchase it.

Everybody wants always everything for free *sigh*

No offence to anybody, but please think before you start posting.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 9:20 am
ivarPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 12:10 pm
No problem Ivar, but I just wanted to say to people: think before act. It's like a car: you see an ad which says 7.990 EUR. When you go to the dealer, you see the same model but for 9.990 EUR. What is the difference: the options!

But enough hassle about that. Let us share our opinions and try to help each other. Share our experiences and learn from each other (damn, I'm starting to talk like and old dude ;-))) ).

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 12:37 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djelof:

"but I just wanted to say to people: think before act [...]"

You are right and that's why we encourage futur user to visit our site and forum before they buy!

Specially this comparison page:

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/comparison.html

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 7:44 am
Hello "ultra VIP member" thats a load of crap you are vialiting a law set in 1972 which clearly states that if you sell goods that don't live (mix) up to the standerd of that the company say., you clearly state its the full version and ITS NOT! fellow DJ'S LETS RIOT

P.S i have twenty two differnt personalties PLEASE DON'T BAN ME

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 12:58 pm
i shall never ever say anything about you ever again oh merciful ones i bow to your power and great marketing skills!

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 12:59 pm
djmmHome userMember since 2004
Your're a little cheeky, posting things like that. They'll ban you, you better stop.
TRUST ME.

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 1:00 pm
yopur just sucking up i have a freedom and a right to RIOT.

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 1:01 pm
yopur was ment to be you

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 1:01 pm
57%