Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: *** TO THOSE WHO HEAR NOISES/POPS/CRACKLES/UNDERBUFFERING *** - Page: 5

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Do you have a machine with a builtin 5.1 sound card or are able to borrow a 5.1 sound card? If you have one you could test it with that card so that you know for sure it is the mk2 sound card. What settings do you have in the "Sound setup" tab in the Config menu and what settings on the "Performances" tab?
Ewout

Posted Sun 10 Sep 06 @ 10:07 pm
I belive the soundcard that is built in is 5.1. I tried it and the only way it worked was in safe mode. I had to set it up as low latency when I used it. With the MK2 hooked up my settings ranged from Best Performance to Best Quality. Latency set to Auto, Overclocked on, Safe mode off. Everytime I open VDJ I am getting Error in Direct X. How do you uninstall DirectX and Re-Install it??

I can run flawless in any skin without video preview windows with the MK2 hooked up. The only way you can hear the crackles and pops is if the Highs and Mids are all the way down and the Bass is set to normal.

Posted Sun 10 Sep 06 @ 10:17 pm
Tried my Soundblaster Live USB soundcard and have the same symptoms, Pops and Crackles only when there is a preview window. This is even with the MK2 not even controlling midi. It is looking like I will never find the problem. Brian

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 1:28 am
I'm sticking with my suggestion of a full format. Install a minimal installation of windows xp and try again.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 2:14 am
I have onboard sound which is not used, and two pci AC93 soundcards, when using one soundcard everything works fine , but using both souncards with an exturnal mixer I get distortion, crackling on one card / player after a short time of playing.
either card works ok in 4.1 mode , or as twin cards in Version 3.4 or Earlier.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 4:20 am
How is re-installing the OS gonna solve this issue. Is it likely that the media center edition has flaws that are contributing to this issue?? My concern is changing the OS and still not having a working VDJ. My bosses are getting pissed at me (Not VDJs fault), but I told them not to buy a Dell. I know there are other users here using Dell computers, are there any using Media Center straight from Dell, or did they have to Install a fresh OS?? Anyone that is using Media Center please chime in here and let me know your success or no success. Thanks.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 6:38 am
It's all a process of elimination. I don't think the actual PC is at fault, but by it's very nature, media center is designed as just that, a media center, it's designed to be in control of media sources, because of that, who knows what little tweaks and changes uncle Bill has put in there that just aren't compatable with putting the user and other hardware in control. At the end of the day, we've tried graphics cards, a different Mk2, the onboard sound, an external USB hub. Non of them has cured the issue. I still think it's relevant that it does it on skins showing video preview but doesn't on those that don't.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 1:44 pm
Ok I re-installed XP home. I can't figure out why my folders are still there, but my programs arent. I know the programs arent supposed to be there, but how can the folders if it is a new install??? Anyways I still have the pops and crackles with the highs and mids all the way down and the bass at normal with a preview window open using the MK2.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 3:14 am
A FIND, It appears that the pops and crackles go AWAY with Hardware Acceleration turned OFF. I don't know if that helps anything??

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 3:35 am
Hi, i been reading this forum entry, and i am experiencing the same problem, but when i go to the Options Menu, i only got tabs saying
(DJ MIXSTATION 3 Feat. VIRTUALDJ HOME EDITION):
'Network, Remote Control, Remote Control 2, Plugins, Infos, General, FAME Settings, Skins, Keyboard Shortcuts'

Which steps do i have to take to get rid of the crackling and the rest?

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:46 am
OK nevermind on my above 2 posts, I figured out how to re-instal the os and it involved taking out the dell HD and formatting my other drive. I am in the format process then I will do the re-install. I will let you know my outcomes soon. Brian

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:57 am
Ok got XP successfully installed. I will let you guys know tomorrow my outcome. Brian

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 9:31 am
@G_Sanchez,
this thread is mainly about vdj4. So thats why you don't see the same screens on your version (mixstation). You better could start your own thread on the "Software technical support" forum.

@discobrian -> Good luck, hope the reinstall helped.
Ewout

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:01 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
Ok got XP successfully installed. I will let you guys know tomorrow my outcome. Brian

Great, I'm waiting for the outcome now, come on Brian, say it's all running beautifully with no pops & crackles..... please!

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:05 pm
That depends, will it finially make me an EXPERIENCED USER?? lol

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:21 pm
There was one thing I did notice last night after I got the new os up and running. With the Media Center that was on the computer before it was running at 46 processes. After the install of XP home it is running at about 24 with the anti virus software running. I also noticed that is was totally faster than before. About the Page file, should I leave it at the XP settings that it is on due to the fact that it is Dual Core or will changing it make a difference???

Also if it doesnt work flawless with the MK2 as a soundcard I can also set it up to use My SB Live USB soundcard in 4.1 mode correct??

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:29 pm
My experience is: Do not change multiple things at once. First start with the default settings of your swap file. If you have problems you could change it later.

You could also use the usb SB. You only have to install the driver. You could select the sound card in the "sound options" tab
Ewout

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:42 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
@discobrian24
Set your swap file to fix amount (start and end).
And try not to use antivirus on the gig machine.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 12:29 am
Ok here is the outcome as of right now. I no longer hear the pops and clicks while video is playing, but I do hear weird noises anytime I move the EQ's or anything on that deck. Any ideas.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 1:38 am
Wahayy we're winning. Leave the swapfile well alone at the moment. Right, the slider noises you're getting, is this on the M2K sliders? If so, give them some switch cleaner. If not, I'm certain Normay knows the answer.

What you need to do now though Brian is the previous tweak I told you with regards memory useage. Then the optimisation guide I linked to previously (think it's xeons blog) For the moment let windows handle the swap file, with XP the swapfile tweak isn't all it's made out to be. I'm absolutely certain now that with a little tweaking we'll have it running like a well oiled engine.

I agree re antivirus. Ideally a gig machine shouldn't be allowed to connect to the net, rendering antivirus a waste of time but also a waste of resources.

Also go to add remove programs/windows components and remove ALL the unnecessary stuff. Which is almost everything except windows media player. IMPORTANT Do a directX update on it. Since SP2 there have been a few updates. This even MAY fix your crackles.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 1:51 am
93%