Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ BATTLE Invitation: ConQuest vs. A Man And His Music - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I posted this in a civil manner, so this is NOT an invitation for other forum members to come and post angry comments in favor or against either of us.

THIS IS A FRIENDLY INVITATION, but a SERIOUS one as well. I would never put my long standing, hard earned personal dj [much less my dj crew's] reputation on the line with a false, public "call-out" against another dj. Speaking of crews, if you're more comfortable running a crew battle [2, 4, 6 or however many], I WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT TOO!!! I've got plenty of back-up and we all thrive on competition. =)

This is also NOT an invitation for everyone who wants to make themselves feel important or even relevant to this issue, to further start calling either one of us out to get attention. Pick your own battles and don't be amateurs by being "jump on the bandwagoners". I don't have time for it. I chose "A Man And His Music" for a personal reason, but also because I respect the amount of time that he's been spinning and am sure that he can "school" me. ;)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

LET'S DO THIS!!! =)

Old school style, LIVE [not VDJ Radio or any of that stuff], man to man, face to face, turntables to turntables, anytime and anywhere at a public event with unbiased, world reknowned dj/judges picked by both me and you. I'm assuming that a real dj with your lengthy experience uses turntables, but in case you don't, you can use cd decks, VDJ on a laptop, or whatever you want.

Personally, I'll use a mix of real vinyl, VDJ vinyl and 2, maybe 3 turntables. No software effects, just straight real and raw techniques.

Your 38 years vs. my petty 19 years of dj experience. I can arrange everything, or we can work out the details together.

Come on, IT'LL BE FUN!!! More importantly, it'll keep the tradition of friendly battles alive among artists who take pride in their art, since way too many people who can simpy match beats nowadays consider themselves "dj's". =P

My crew has the experience and connections to arrange this event at pretty much any venue., and my dj partners have done special events and performances like this throughout the US as well as in Japan, Australia, and Canada. Haven't done Europe yet, but there's a first time for everything and now is as good a time as any!

We started the Beat Junkie Classic dj battles back in the mid-90's when we got tired of DMC dj battles' lack of focus on what really matters in the art of turntablism: the sounds, music and creativity, NOT the ridiculous body and other tricks. THAT was why we started our own dj battles with the Beat Junkies which were founded by my current friends and dj partners since the late 80's and early 90's, along with the Invisibl Skratch Picklz, Q-Bert's crew - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisibl_Skratch_Piklz

Actually you can check out Q-Bert's article in the fall 1994 issue of "408 Magazine" where he talks about the fact that DMC was no longer worthy of hosting REAL deejay battles, and definately not turntablists, because they were focusing on the wrong elements of the cheesy "showcase deejay", rather than the sounds being manipulated and created by turntablist musicians. He told us that he been robbed of a dj battle win because of non-sound related antics by his competitor.

So what do you say?... MAN UP, Man! =)

Seriously, no hard feelings or aggression, just two people respecting eachother's talent and not afraid to show it off in public. As a matter of fact, we'll probably end up being friends and respecting eachother afterwards!

Exactly the same way that my friend DJ Rhettmatic of the Beat Junkies - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_Junkies / http://www.beatjunkies.com/ - ended up becoming good friends with Babu who had beaten him in the West Coast DMC finals, but later was asked to join the Beat Junkies, which he did, before his Dilated Peoples fame - http://www2.dilatedpeoples.com/

Just like b-boys and beat boxers battle publicly, and graffiti artists battle through publicly displaying their art pieces [I'm not talking about tagging], REAL dj's battle in public as well.

I don't know where you're located but if you're in the US and near the West Coast, then we can use any of my regular stomping grounds like the world famous Century Club that my dj crew does every Saturday night. If you want something on a smaller scale [we often tend to average 2,000+ on Saturdays @ Century], then there are other locations where we can do this, and I know a whole lot of promoters that I know that will love to host this event..

The Beat Junkies do the Knitting Factory in Hollywood every couple of months, and they just did it a couple of weeks back, so if you want to do this quickly [within the next couple of months or so, just in case you think that I'm not ready to battle and you don't want to give me time to practice], then we can do this asap. If we were to have them [Beat Junkies] be judges, I assure you that they're not biased towards me just because they're my friends, believe me. They ONLY judge based on SKILL.

Or we can mix the judges with some of yours and some of mine. Whatever. I'm cool with anything.

However, if you're not local [in Southern California or even in the U.S.], then I'll even fly out to battle you. Or we can meet somewhere in between. Like I said, anytime and anywhere at a public event.

I've got some vacation time coming up after Apple Macworld Expo in January '07, after February 22nd to be exact, and I'd like to go somewhere new.

I'll battle you and then enjoy my vacation at the same time, regardless of the outcome. THAT'S how a REAL turntablist handles a win or loss, and I am fully aware that I may lose. ;)

So respond to me on this forum, or PM/Email me and... LET"S DO THIS!!!

Keep it real Man. =)

- ConQuest

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 10:02 am
ConQuest, I for one appreciate a good dj battle, actually, I just appreciate skills,... period. I'm a SoCal too and I've spun at all the spots you mention, so I'm sure I'll run into you one day. I'm starting a new weekly in Hollywood next week, I have a friday spot that I spin at pretty regular too.

This is my 1,000th post on the forum and I was hoping to post something more meaningful, but I'm just telling you that Music Man will not be accepting any DJ challenges, or at least that is my thought. If he did, I'd be very surprised.

We'll soon see...

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 10:20 am
anewsome wrote :
ConQuest, I for one appreciate a good dj battle, actually, I just appreciate skills,... period. I'm a SoCal too and I've spun at all the spots you mention, so I'm sure I'll run into you one day. I'm starting a new weekly in Hollywood next week, I have a friday spot that I spin at pretty regular too.

This is my 1,000th post on the forum and I was hoping to post something more meaningful, but I'm just telling you that Music Man will not be accepting any DJ challenges, or at least that is my thought. If he did, I'd be very surprised.

We'll soon see...

Cool! Let me know about your weekly and Friday night spot, I'd like to check them out sometime!

My best friend and dj partner owns Stacks Vinyl in Cerritos and Ontario so if you need actual records, go there! =) He's DJ Icy Ice [Isaiah] from the Beat Junkies and 93.5 KDAY. Tune in to his mixes on Friday and Saturday nights if you get a chance! I've now peaked his [and ALL of Stack's Vinyl's staff and turntablists] interest in Virtual DJ in the past 2 weeks. i haven't it shown it top them yet, but they all keep asking me abut the "Serato-like" program with video mixing. =P I'm waiting for my timecode vinyl to arrive before I show them VDJ 4 and it's video capabilities. looks like it's gonna have to wait until next week though. :/

Most of the Beat Junkies are on KDAY off and on [Julio G is my personal idol in the radio industry and the one who opened the door to the radio industry for Ice, Melo-D, and many others] including Melo-D [Dave], Rhettmatic [Rhett], and DJ What?! [Ross]. Another Beat Junkie, Curse [Ray - we have the same birthday... but I'm 1 whole year younger =P] was on 100.3 The Beat, but they've recently undergone some major changes in format, so I don't even know if he's still on their or not. Mr. Choc [another Beat Junkie] and the Beat Junkie's "Funky President" - J-Rocc are on Power 106 with our [my dj crew, LEGEND Entertainment's] other long time partner from an affiliate crew [Style Productions] here in SoCal, E-Man [short for Emanuelle BTW], music director at that station and Big Boy's weekday morning "Miki Fiki Mix" dj.

Sorry to spoil your 1000th post by not makingit meaningful. :s ... But CONGRATULATIONS anyway!

Take it easy anewsome.

- ConQuest

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:09 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
This should be interesting! Fair play for writing all that, must if taken ages!!

RoRy

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:20 pm
I withdraw my last comment about you on the last port about timecoded vinyl shipping, majority of people dont have the guts to back up there mouth's.
You have gained my respect, no hard feelings ConQuest ?

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:28 pm
I'm in shock. A post by ConQuest without mentioning Mac. You're gaining my respect too, keep it up ;)

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:34 pm
Rory05 wrote :
This should be interesting! Fair play for writing all that, must if taken ages!!

RoRy

Like i said, I'm serious.

I don't mess around when it comes to deejaying.

Heh. About the writing; it took a little while, but it wasn't too bad.

Just didn't want to come out and be like "You. Me. Battle. Now". =P

Don't want people to think that there is any aggressive motive in my wanting to battle, just an assertion of who takes it more seriously.

If you've been spinning for 38 years, you better darn well have learned something more than beat matching. And if you're going to try to give "worldly advice" to someone whom you consider to be "gum on your shoe that you're just gonna ignore", then you better realize that some gum is a lot harder to get rid of, and may end up making you look foolish as you you try to get rid of it.

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:40 pm
stevomay wrote :
I withdraw my last comment about you on the last port about timecoded vinyl shipping, majority of people dont have the guts to back up there mouth's.
You have gained my respect, no hard feelings ConQuest ?

All good steveomay. =)

Just anxious to start showing off VDJ 4 to my friends and partners [was hoping to do it this weekend because I had told everyone that I would do it this weekend after I purchased VDJ 3.4 Pro for windows [ bleh... ;) ]and the imecode vinyl last Friday... only to have that post show up the next day - a SATURDAY?! - about "no shipping in the US during the next business week :/ ] and watching it get adopted by them and even the venues who seek my advice for dj equipment purchases.

Those same venues tend to seek my advice on what computers to use as well. Guess what kind of computers I advise them to get?

windows pc's of course. =P

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:48 pm
secretsoul wrote :
I'm in shock. A post by ConQuest without mentioning Mac. You're gaining my respect too, keep it up ;)

I like Mac... aroni with Bologna.

=P

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:57 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ConQuest sounds mighty confident...
Let's see how this plays out...

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:02 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
ConQuest sounds mighty confident...
Let's see how this plays out...

Confident in myself? Always. But only in what I know I can back up, nothing more.

What kind of... not so smart person [don't want to insult anyone] ... would publicly put his [and his dj partners' and dj crew's] reputation on the line like this?

I'll tell you one type of person that would, but who isn't representative of me. The one's who have nothing to lose because they're unestablished and will only gain from any publicity.

Myself, on the other hand, I'm pretty established if you couldn't tell by the turntablists I've been running with since the late 80's and early 90's, so I have EVERYTHING to lose if I lose... so I won't.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get sponsored by VDJ or something and next time their U.S. distribution division will prioritize getting me the timecode vinyl I pay for before leaving for an expo for a week and putting an entire continent's orders on hold until they get back? =P

Admittedly, I have NO idea how good "A Man And His Music" is at spinning, beat juggling, or how on point his flares, crab scratch, etc may be, but if he's nearly as good at it as he is at running his mouth in a be-littling and lecturing tone, then I'm in trouble!

But it really doesn't matter. I know how good I am, and I think I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable about the dj battle scene.

All I can do is try my best and hope that "the Man" doesn't humiliate me too much. But at least I can say I tried, right? ;)

If you want to know more about me and you have a MySpace account, check out my severely outdated [since mid-January] profile at http://www.myspace.com/FRodriguez719

Peace all!

- ConQuest

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:31 pm
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Quote :
Myself, on the other hand, I'm pretty established if you couldn't tell by the turntablists I've been running with since the late 80's and early 90's....

LOL.. I don't normally believe everything I read.

I never thought you as someone who had “mad” turntable skills but just more of a techie… cuz :
1. Most of you posts IMO were aimed at defending your position of MACs while at the same time trying to prove how intelligent you are (& no doubt you are intelligent) by giving an abundance of tech related points or “FACTS” if you will…
2. I started skipping over your posts after a while, so if there was anything about you & turntablism in some of your posts, I must have missed it….

I will admit though that your resume is impressive.

I don’t read every post on this forum… so if may : What did “A Man And His Music” say to cause this need for a dj challenge?

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 2:09 pm
hehe...

A dj battle is always fun...But not sure if Man&Music will take your challenge.. because of the grounds for it ;)

But your myspace profile was somewhat giving out a few logic clues...

"....worked for international corporations such as Apple Computer and Xerox..."

Hehe... well we already knew that;)

"....I'm aiding in the destruction of the criminal Microsoft juggernaut....." yeah.. we know that too;) hehe

Looking forward to Man&Music's reply.. But might not be positive. After all you are setting the terms for the battle;) And not even sure Man&Music is even a turntable user.. or a battle dj..

But might be fun ;)

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 2:14 pm
xgl_dj wrote :
[quote = ConQuest]Myself, on the other hand, I'm pretty established if you couldn't tell by the turntablists I've been running with since the late 80's and early 90's....

LOL.. I don't normally believe everything I read.

I never thought you as someone who had “mad” turntable skills but just more of a techie… cuz :
1. Most of you posts IMO where aimed at defending you position of MACs while at the same time trying to prove how intelligent you are (& no doubt you are intelligence) by giving an abundance of tech related points or “FACTS” if you will…
2. I started skipping over your posts after a while so if there was anything about you & turntablism in some of your posts I must have missed it….

I will admit thought that your resume is impressive.

I don’t read every post on this forum… so if may : What did “A Man And His Music” say to cause this need for a dj challenge?
[/quote]

Yeah. My co-workers tend to consiedr me pretty "chameleonish" or a "double agent" [I've been called both] in that I am the straight and narrow business type who is truly intrigued by tech during normal work hours, but am a soldier of the Hip-Hop Nation under the guidance of The Teacha himself, KRS-One [check out my MySpace profile].

That is how I keep myself balanced out from being too techie, or too thuggie. =)

He is the reason that I directed a video called "Rap Is Something You Do, Hip-Hop Is Something You Live" back in 1995. That phrase is also quoted on my MySpace profile and is my personal mantra... along with DIE bILL gATES AND mICROSOFT!

=P

As for what has caused me to call out "Man", in a nutshell, I started a thread in anger because I ordered VDJ 4 and timecode vinyl last Friday afternoon and thought that the timecode would ship first thing this week based on the fact that I recieved my confirmation email stating that "your order will ship "very soon" that afternoon.

The next day, I come onto the VDJ forums and see this thread topic posted that day [after I ordered my timecode vinyl the day before] and says this:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted Sat 19 Aug 06 @ 13:42:29
Our US shipping staff will be attending the dj Expo August 21-24 Nothing will be shipped durring this time from the US office, however all pending orders will be shipped Monday August 28, 2006 and you'll be mailed your tracking info as usual. This only applies to US orders only, all other orders will be shipped as normal.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/53929/General_Discussion/Important_Shipping_in_USA_durring_DJ_Expo.html

The VDJ 4 not being available for download on Monday thing was dissappointing, but not that big of a deal because it turned out to be a case of "mass hysteria" where a few members on these forums started posting that the download would be available on Monday [a lot of us sat in front of our computers waiting to download the software as soon as the clock hit 12am] but that was never actually official. It has now been stated by dj-in-norway that it will be available at some time on Wednesday apparently.

What REALLY pissed me off, was that there was NO ONE left behind in the "distribution" department to ship product that had already been paid for like my timecode vinyl, because everyone had to go to the expo.

THAT is BAD BUSINESS!

Well, a $h!t fling-fest started between me and a few people who understood my point of view, and apologists like "Man" who felt it appropriate to chime in with some direct name calling and down-talking to me with some "parental guidance" and a "holier than thou" attitude.

Here's the fun-filled and action packed thread here: [have fun xgl_dj!]

UNBELIEVABLE! VDJ 4 not out today AND no TCV shipping in the U.S. this week?!!!

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/53997/General_Discussion/UNBELIEVABLE__VDJ_4_not_out_today_AND_no_TCV_shipping_in_the_U_S__this_week____.html?page=1

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 2:46 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
And not even sure Man&Music is even a turntable user.. or a battle dj.

Interesting. You're the 2nd person to imply that so far in this thread Norway.

The reason I called "Man" out to battle is because "DJ Nylko" posted:

Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 04:59:45
A Man And His Music has 38 years of DJ experience (search the forums for this info), that is, double or 2 x 19 years of ConQuest's DJ experience

ConQuest, you definitely lost that bet!!!

Therefore, you should consider A Man And His Music your DADDY!!!

and then "steveomay" [who I'm okay with now since he asked if we're "cool" earlier in this thread] posted:

Tue 22 Aug 06 @ 05:36:04
I suppose that would make YOU conquest, A man's bitch ?
Respect your superiors, thats all I have to say on the matter.

I found steveomay's comment funny anyway [but how long would it take an Atomix mod to ban me if I called someone a bitch... again, hypocrisy, bias, and apparently favoritism exhibited by forum mods here] since, if Man has been "dj'ing" for 38 years, then he's not "superior", he's just elder, or more accurately, old.

And what was he dj'ing with 38 years ago? Reel-to-reel audio tape? If not, it had to be records, 45's, 78's and full albums. Possibly 8 track tapes in the 70's and early 80's.

Maybe he calls himself a "dj" because he talked on a mic, in which case he's really more of an "mc" or show host?

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about with everybody considering themselves to be "dj's". And this is EXACTLY why we developed the title of "turntablist", to differentiate ourselves from so-called, and self titled "dj's".

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:17 pm
elder.... more experienced... you choose ;)

Think thats what Steve reffered to when he made the joke about you being he's b-aitch ;) hehe

But as of dj's by title only being turntable djs or battle-style djs, thats as wrong as saying Mac's never crash..hehe;)

Man&Music style of djing I dont know, but if he mix music for an audience, he's a dj... period:)

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:31 pm
Looks like we know a lot of the same people ConQuest. One of the felas in my dj crew (Soul Cal DJs) is DJ Swivll from Power 106. I used to hang with Hapa from Rehab records every now and then, he knows Choc and a bunch of other Power 106 mixers. Kidjay is my boy, and he is on the radio (on air personality) with your other friends. Our crew has been mostly holding down OC but we're starting to do more Hollywood stuff. I'm hoping we get Privlege on Sunset as a wed. weekly. In fact we have a meeting there tonight. Anyway, I don't really talk gigs too much on this forum, not a lot of people think like me here but I think you have a real good grasp of what real club DJs have to deal with, at least out here in LA.

Anyway, me and Swivll are having a birthday party on Sept 1st in OC. The entire Soul Cal crew (minus DJ Link) will be rockin it. You should come through if you're not out at Century Club.

Ok, that's 1001. Not posting again til I get my hands on 4.0

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:29 pm
good idea, "mute" until v4 will be out :-) I'm in

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:52 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
you would have it allready if they hadn't thought you were a spy! lol

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 9:50 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :
elder.... more experienced... you choose ;)

I'll choose elder. Is someone who's worked at McDonalds for 30 years "more experienced" than someone who's "only" worked at McDonalds for 3 years. Not if it only takes 1 year to learn everything.

It's all proportional.

A more experienced dj is someone is someone who is more well rounded in all the aspects of dj'ing, from beat matching to batlling.

THAT is more experienced.

Having spent a longer time doing the most mundane tasks in dj'ing just makes someone more mundane, and less relevant to the entire art of dj'ing as a lifestyle and a culture.

dj-in-norway wrote :
Think thats what Steve reffered to when he made the joke about you being he's b-aitch ;) hehe

LOL!

And he didn't get banned for making an insulting comment despite the fact that the General Discussion rule says "Please be polite and speak with respect. All warez messages, or messages that contains insults will be deleted."

Hmmm. I wonder if that post was deleted per the forum rules? Let me go see... NOPE.

Now, in the past I've violated that "no insult" rule [never so badly as directly calling someone someone's bitch] and I got banned for a couple of days.

I guess my abstract comment about someone's intelligence is more derogatory than calling someone someone's bitch, because calling someone someone's bitch apparently won't get you banned.

Good modding by the way. ;)

dj-in-norway wrote :
But as of dj's by title only being turntable djs or battle-style djs, thats as wrong as saying Mac's never crash..hehe;)

That's why we developed the title of turntablist. DJ's who respect the art so much that they respect their equipment, in our case turntables, as a musical instrument which we use to manipulate sounds and express ourselves individually.

Yeah, I guess pressing play and auto-mixing is dj'ing... pfff.

dj-in-norway wrote :
Man&Music style of djing I dont know, but if he mix music for an audience, he's a dj... period:)

Wow. That's like saying I'm a race car driver because I ride Autopia cars at Disneyland. Hey, I'm driving and there's an audience!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go enter the Daytona 500.

=P

Posted Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 11:19 pm
67%