Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Dell Laptop Recalls

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 3:10 am
Good thing I bought the cheaper Inspiron 130b, mine works great on long sets. It really is a shame though, Dell makes damn good computers.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 6:44 pm
This is what happens when a company lowers the price of it's commodity, dime-a-dozen computers so low that it has to start using cheaper, or in this case, hazardously defective components to try and start making a profit again.

Dell has reported quarterly losses for the past 2 quarters of this year. Only one company is respectably profitable in the computer hardware business, Apple Computer, makers of Macintosh.

These reasons are why Apple is worth more than Dell and always has a higher quality of product/customer satisfactioin rating:

"Apple Worth More than Dell Again"

"The animosity between Apple and Dell is well known. It all started on October 6 1997, when Dell founder, and then CEO, Michael Dell, when asked what he would do to solve the Apple problem, stood before a crowd of several thousand IT executives and answered "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."
Less than a month later, on November 10 1997, Apple CEO Steve Jobs responded, speaking in front of an image of Michael Dell's bulls-eye covered face, "We're coming after you, you're in our sights."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Worth-More-Than-Dell-Again-22655.shtml

"PC users can't get no satisfaction"

"...Apple Computer led the pack among computer individual vendors with a rating of 83, a 2.5 percent improvement over last year's score. Dell, under siege all year for its customer service problems, rebounded from 2005, improving its score by 5.4 percent to 78..."

http://news.com.com/PC+users+cant+get+no+satisfaction/2100-1041_3-6105569.html?tag=nefd.top

Why is this relevant to this thread? Because safety and reliability decrease when profits become the priority and price gouging has reached the bottom of the barrel as it has with Dell and other windows pc manufacturers.

It's called making quality control the top priority. Apple does that with it's Macs.. windows pc manufacturers however, prioritize volume sales and then stuff like this happens as a result.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 9:47 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Thats HOT!!!

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 10:16 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The newspaper this morning was an ironic sight, you had a WHOLE page advertising Dell laptops and desktops on special offer, and two pages on the headline about "Dells exploding Laptops" with a pictured explosion dangerous enough to scare off even a terrorist investor.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 11:03 pm
ConQuest wrote :
This is what happens when a company lowers the price of it's commodity, dime-a-dozen computers so low that it has to start using cheaper, or in this case, hazardously defective components to try and start making a profit again.

¿Are you calling Sony a defective-component-maker company?

Those batteries "were made by Sony, and were installed in notebooks sold from April 2004 to July 18 of this year.
The safety agency said the batteries' problems were not unique to Dell, meaning that other companies using Sony batteries might also have to issue recalls. Sony has sold its batteries to most of the major computer makers."

You seem to know everything about Apple... but your "perfect" company also bought Sony batteries.

"Several news outlets reporting the recall have also noted that the same Sony batteries were used by Apple. In fact, Channel NewsAsia reports "A spokeswoman said Apple was looking into the issue."

This leads to speculation that the same faulty components were shipped with some MacBook Pros. Apple initiated a "battery exchange program" for some MacBook Pros shipped from February 2006 through May 2006, but has not acknowledged that this is the same issue that is forcing Dell's recall.

Apple states only that the affected batteries "do not meet our high standards for battery performance. To give our users the best experience possible, we will replace these batteries for customers free of charge."

There you go...

So PLEASE stop your Windows bashing... If you like Apple, then use it, but just don´t spam every thread you find with anti-windows comments.
Some of us may not be totally happy with our OS, but if I havn´t switched to Apple, it´s for a reason. And I don´t need an Apple fanboy to try to convince me in some annoying way. You won´t get what you are looking for, at least from me.

I´m sorry if you find this a bit rude, but I´m just tired of your long posts fighting over useless topics. Just go to an Apple forum if you want to praise the OS.

Dj Joe

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 1:37 am
Well, I'm curious to know if anyone has been able to take advantage of the recall. Mine did not fall into that category.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 4:29 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
They would make a hell of a pyrotechnic display though

Posted Thu 17 Aug 06 @ 5:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)