Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Long director names

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Long directoty names seem to be an issue in VDJ 2. It provokes crash while scanning the HD and analyzing files, and some kind of hanging and looping when playing a song.

Posted Tue 22 Jun 04 @ 5:53 am
I found that too last week while doing a gig, it took me a couple of days to work it out.

Initially I suspected the problem to be with a couple of WMA files in the folder that kept causing it to crash.

Turns out when I changed the folder name by chance the problem was resolved, the folder name changed from:
A Class DISCO Rips
to
ACD Rips which resolved the problem.

Probably all relates back to the 8.3 rule.

Reoloution - keep folder names short and it seems to work great, although I'm a bit of a fan of recogniseable folder names. I think it's when there is more than one space in the name.

Ross.

Posted Sat 26 Jun 04 @ 9:40 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use long directory names and I don't have any problem with it.

Strange.

Clax

Posted Sat 26 Jun 04 @ 6:44 pm
i allready had this problem with v1 of vdj.
I'ts not only the directory who may not be too long but also the filename of the song.

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 10:20 am
the ONLY problem i have found on this, is NOT the lenght of the folder name, BUT the lenght of the name in the mp3 file...

usually there are no problems in a category folder that you have made your self, like:
disco 70 style/bee gees - saturnay night fever (remix).mp3

the problem is that vdj scans the WHOLE harddrive, and might run into problems with the temp folder that p2p programs use (limewire, winmx, kaaza etc) for 2 reasons:
(1) they are imcomplete downloads - so have some strange coding in the file, that vdj dont like
(2) they have often very long file sames (f.eks winmx will name files in temp folder something like :
__0343243243243243543656546britneyspears-toxic.mp3)

my solution to this is to
(1) have temp p2p files on external drive or other drive letter than the mp3 files i want to scan for vdj
(2) stop the harddisk scan by pressing "stop" before it starts analysing temp mp3 files

I have never had any "scan crash" after doing that! ;)

hope that helps....

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 12:24 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
What's a p2p program ? never heard of it lol

Posted Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 10:06 pm
Its a "peer 2 peer" program for sharing files

Posted Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 10:26 pm
limewire, winmx, kaaza, donkey etc etc etc
they are all calle "peer to peer" programs.. or p2p for short ;)

Posted Mon 26 Jul 04 @ 11:03 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)