Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Automatic Crossfading

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been a VDJ for a couple of years...but I'm interested to see if VDJ can update their software to include the ability to automatically crossfade from one song to another. Not after the last beat...but rather fading at a specific time before the song actually ends. For example, if Song A's last beat is 20 seconds from the end but I'd like the song to fade out 8 seconds before the end and smoothly blend into the next song.

WinAmp can do this easily and I think Automix can do it too....but VDJ can't. Help!!

When might this be useful?? Since I'm a professional dancer and DJ my own parties, its very common for me to want to dance 2 or 3 songs in a row while leaving VDJ to automatically crossfade between songs to keep the flow. It is also useful when the DJ has to go to the bathroom, or when a DJ is setting things up during dinner hour at a function.

Thanks,
SwingShoes

Posted Tue 25 Jul 06 @ 12:26 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I don't use automix at all but I think you can set up VDJ to crossfade at 8 seconds before end using Cue's and setting option. Try it out.

Posted Tue 25 Jul 06 @ 2:04 am
it would be cool to VDJ count 16, 32 or 64 last beats in song, and mix it with first 16/32/64 beats in next song, and that we have option for that :) I would never leave VDJ to mix alone because i know it would not sound nice. If you want to go to the toilet, play some premixed mix which last 10-15 minutes xexe :) I would never trust a machine...

Posted Tue 25 Jul 06 @ 3:13 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Virtual DJ needs some work on its automatic mixing. The best system for this that I've seen is really quite simple, and is exemplefied by the Continuator plugin for foobar2000.

It's more complicated than this, but basically how this works is that it allows you to set a threshold in dB, so say, when the song volume drops 8 db, it starts the next song from the beginning. (I suppose one could add a different threshold for where the beginning of the next song should start).

I think that VDJ works something like this, but the threshold is not customizable at all. I find that the automix functionality, with most types of non-dance music will cut off the beginning and end WAY too much, and it'll crossfade very abruptly... this isn't acceptable.
It's cool how Virtual DJ can do automatic beatmixing and stuff, but IMHO, if you're going to DJ, that's one of the most fun parts of your job... sure, get VDJ to help you match up your tempos and stuff, but I think that actually controlling the fade between the songs is the DJs job... it's tough to automate that and make it sound proper.

What VDJ needs is a solid and consistent crossfade between the songs that doesn't leave silence between songs, and doesn't overlap the songs too much, or cut off large chunks of the song (often it'll crossfade out over a minute too soon... ever left automix on with older Country music, for example?)

Posted Sun 30 Jul 06 @ 11:24 pm
@Supacon.
"and it'll crossfade very abruptly" -> you can set the crossfade time in the config screen->Fame Settings->Fade length. Also the behavious of the crossfader could be changed (Also in Fame settings->Crossfader)
You could set the fade in point and fade out point for each song. This could be helpfull, while not every song ends with a fade out. If the song does not end with a fade out, the threshold will result in a (small) silence.

The trouble is to set those points for all your songs. It would be nice if there was some sort of reset, so that all songs, not changed manually, could be reset to the very start and end point of the song.

Another idea could be to make a setting in the config screen, to have the option to let VDJ decide (Like it is implemented now) or to set it always at the cery start and end points.
Ewout

Posted Sun 30 Jul 06 @ 11:47 pm
DJ FORMATPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
wait for VIRTUAL DJ 4.0

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 2:08 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
you can edit the when u want the song to automix just load the song to the deck afterwards right click it in the browser and select edit bpm, when the window pops up look at the 3rd tab its for editing the automix point of that song, only thing is u have to indivisually set up all ur songs

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 2:35 am
your all english or american!! is there french here please??

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 9:33 am
i make techno music not house but spanish techno music (bumping) that's incredible this sort of music is magic

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 9:36 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Posted Tue 01 Aug 06 @ 11:31 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)