Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hello and video transparency

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi gang,
I was wondering if there was a way to using chroma keying or transparency with a video file
so I could have a video in deck 1 and then play back a video in deck 2 with transparency in it so you would just see certain objects over the top of the video in deck 1 any help or info in this matter would rock!
Cheers

Posted Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 4:04 pm
ok looks like I got it now, making an uncompresed avi file with the alpha channel rendered into it, looks awsome esply with video scratching!

Posted Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 4:30 pm
hmm actualy I dont have it, gues i need to figure out how to make a video file with transparency in it~
303AM

Posted Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 7:03 pm
To my knowledge, there is no such thing as transparency built into a file. Also, the VDJ video fader does not support choma or luma key.

I have an EDIROL V4 external video mixer that I use to add ambient videos from an external dvd player, live crowd cams, and text messaging from a laptop running Text-Live. It has tons of effects (including choma or luma key).

Hope this helps.

Posted Fri 09 Jun 06 @ 10:42 pm
Ok thanks saves me trying to do something that cant currently be done :)
im working with a VJ but our mixer turns the video monochrome once you chroma it, I guess we can work with that, basically just want to scratch little videos over the top of a another with a clean edge. you can create Quick times with alpha transparency in them from after effects apparently, a friend uses it but even if I made one of these files I have a feeling it wouldn't work in VDJ as the video on the decks are all on the same level meaning you cant put one video on a higher layer as another one, I guess what would be a really cool would be some more transitions like a multiply transition? are there any others out there I haven't seen that aren't on this site? seems like there could be some more useful transitions?

Posted Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 3:35 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You have video plugins with a SDK (using Direct3D), don't forget them ;-)

In fact, you want to use a Fade transition :-)

Posted Sat 10 Jun 06 @ 4:40 pm
yeah I figured a transition was what I needed, are you referring to the standed "fade" transition that comes with vjd? as that just puts the two video streams at 50% when the fader is in the middle, basically im trying to create transition that is a visual equivalent to the way a dj uses a cross fader to cut there scratching in and out over the top of some music

so if I have a clip playing in deck 1 when I scratch on deck 2 if I move the fader to the middle for a second id like to have the scratching video jump into the screen with out both sources being 50% ether with a multiply fader or some how chroma keying out the backround of the video on deck 2

I'm not sure what plugins your refiring to with the SDK?

used VDJ last night for the first time live and went prity well apart from the needle jumping so I couldn't use the TCV :( and one clip I tried to play made the computer almost crash but I think it was too big, an uncompressed avi (1gig) so not really VDJs fault.

what do you guys believe is the best video format? mpg1?

loving VDJ so far

Posted Mon 12 Jun 06 @ 1:35 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I use .vob on my computer but it's video clip so around 250MB (Madonna - Sorry, 4min45s) and not 1Go ;-)

but of course you need a good video card

Posted Tue 13 Jun 06 @ 2:51 pm
ok cool ill try out some vobs, basicly mpeg 2 i gues, im on a dell laptop with a 3.2p4 1.5 gig of ram and 128 ati radon mobility, sound is via a e-mu 1616m with the latency set farly low for the time coded vinyl (4-6ms) what res do you use 320x240 is all iv tryed so far.

Posted Fri 16 Jun 06 @ 11:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)