Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Using Projector to Play Videos - Bad Quality! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I convert videos from Promo Only DVDs into .VOB files using SmartRipper and the quality is very good. However, when I play the file using Virtual DJ, the quality of the video significantly decreases (this is VERY noticible when I hook my computer up to a projector and play the videos through that). Originally, I thought that the .VOB files were just bad quality rips, but when I played the video right off the DVD, I got the same result. I know my computer can play the DVD at a much higher quality, seeing as the DVD player it came with does exactly that. Also, when I play the DVDs on a DVD player and hook it up to a projector, the quality is perfect. My question is this: how can I get Virtual DJ to play the videos at DVD quality through a projector? Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 03 May 06 @ 5:13 pm
Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi,

Connect the projector to your laptop as a secondary display.
Then play the .vob using any player you have (other than VDJ) out to the projector.
Is the quality good or bad?

-Dj Los.

Posted Wed 03 May 06 @ 5:18 pm
The quality of the .vob is MUCH better when not played in VDJ. Through VDJ, it looks all pixelated and grainy, whereas it looks much sharper through any other program.

Posted Wed 03 May 06 @ 6:09 pm
How are you connecting to the projector, S video, component, composite, or VGA? Can you try them all to see if it is the cable or connection? Is this a demo copy of VDJ or a cracked version?

Posted Wed 03 May 06 @ 9:17 pm
Thats a neat trick the video output is disabled in the trial.

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 4:55 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yepp, you should expect nothing but problems with illegal cracked versions, this is a classic example, pay up like the rest of us and enjoy the benefits :).

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 2:52 pm
Dear Bagpuss...
In my case I use an ATI 9550. I have activated the second output of ATI. When I play (in the second screen) a video using Power DVD, the picture is totally perfect. Of course, I choose on Power DVD to show in Full Screen.
When I play the same video from Virtual DJ, I have many drop frames and some white lines too. I try everything.
Any idea please?

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 10:21 pm
Here I attach the "information" of Power DVD when I get perfect picture on my television!
As I told you before, I use an ATI 9550. When I play videos with Virtual DJ the pictur is too bad!

Player Information:
Player Region Code: Not Specified
Current Drive: F:
Title Region Code: Not Available

Display Information:
Video Mode: Progressive
Display Mode: DirectDraw
FourCC Code: YUY2
Surface Type: Overlay

Video Attributes:
Video compression mode: MPEG-2
TV system: 625/50 (PAL)
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Display Mode: Both Pan&scan and Letterbox
Source picture resolution: 720x576 (625/50)
Frame Rate: 25.00
Source picture letterboxed: Not letterboxed
Bitrate: 7.27Mbps

Audio Attributes:
Audio Coding mode: MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 without extension bitstream
Sampling Rate: 48kHz
Audio application mode: Not specified
Number of Audio channels: 2
Bitrate: 224 Kbps
Number of Audio streams: 1

Subpicture Attribute: Not Available

Hardware Information:
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU running at 1800 MHz
3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
Enhanced 3DNow! Technology: Not Detected
3DNow! Professional Technology: Not Detected
IA MMX Technology: In Use
IA Streaming SIMD Extensions: In Use
IA SSE 2: In Use
Video Accelerator: DirectX VA (not in use)
Multispeaker Audio Device: 1-MAYA 44 2ch Wave (not in use)
SPDIF Output Device: 1-MAYA 44 2ch Wave (not in use)

Posted Thu 04 May 06 @ 11:03 pm
When ever I read one of these post, I take a closer look at my videos. My videos are tight, even on 27 inch monitors. The old analog projector leaves something to be desired, but the 2 digital projectors are fine. We have 2 40 inch plasmas, that have not been put up yet. They will be the shit. What I will try is a side by side comparison, to see if there is a noticeable difference. I will compare my vobs in VDJ, Power DVD, and a DVD player.

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 9:40 am
Yes, the quality through Virtual DJ is less than that of the other players, especially the sound quality of the videos (even though they are exact copies of the DVD chapters & they play fine in WMP or another player). I am wondering if it's a bad CODEC that is included with VDJ or if perhaps they are cutting corners in order to process the video on lesser CPU's. Not sure.

Although I can let the video quality slide, I cannot let the sound quality take a hit in live performances, too distracting for my customers, IMHO. I'll just continue to use my DVJ-X1's for music videos and let my 400GB HDD loaded with all the classic & 2005-6 PO Hot Videos sit idle until this issue is resolved.

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 3:35 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@RadioDJ105, What is a more efficient way to get somewhere quick?, running flat or running and jumping hurdles?, basically a DVD playback software is doing very little but playback, it's dedicated to that single task, whilst VDJ involves a lot more advanced manipulation of the audio and video, this causes A) degrade in the video/Audio quality (to a small degree) and B) increased hardware demands.
Most Video users are experiencing good video quality (when outputted to large screens etc), so in this case the problem is probably associated with the PC, VDJ with Video demands a lot of resources (CPU, general memory and video card), with the playback software all was fine because the program is very simple in what it does and requires.

You said your using 48khz for Audio?, how is the sound quality?, you might want to read the answer on the link below because 48khz Audio is not yet optimised in VDJ, although it's expected to improve/be fixed in a future update.

@Handyman, here is the answer to your problem of poor Audio quality:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/49831/Software_Technical_Support/3_4_Video_Sound_Quality.html?page=1

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 3:54 pm
The sound (at 48KHz) is ok! I mean... I can't compare with older versions, but is seems ok!

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 5:48 pm
I also have to say that... everybody knows that Virtual DJ is a "heavier" program than Power DVD!
That is the only sure.!

The only thing that I don't know, is... if I can "borow" the decoder that Powerdvd has and add it on the list of decoders of Virtual DJ

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 6:55 pm
@RadioDJ105 I use the same card and I had problems in the beginning til I started tweaking with the settings. The first one I did was change the resolution on the 2nd monitor to 720X480 I Believe somewhere in there cause that is what a VOB is ripped to. Then in the ATI control there is a setting I changed and it made things 100%better. I will look when I get to work and post back either today or tomorrow. I will check if I posted those settings in another post cause I think I did.

Posted Fri 05 May 06 @ 8:28 pm
@discobrian24
I would like to thank you about your time. Please help me. I am desperate. I try everything but i didn't manage to improve it! Thanks again!

Posted Sat 06 May 06 @ 4:03 pm
I am still waiting for your help! Sorry for bothering... but it's important for me!
Thanks!

Posted Mon 08 May 06 @ 8:45 pm
There was one box that I checkmarked with this card and it was like night and day. I don't have a TV right now to connect to here at the house, but will try later this week. I am using the Radeon 9550 card and my videos are working well. I too notice a difference in other players but that was explained already. Man I should have wrote this stuff down. I will get back to you guys. Brian

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 8:48 pm
Brian thanks for your time.
Dear friend acw_djacw_dj as you know, is not so easy (an so cheap) to change cards. Of course if I knew that, I would buy a more expensive card. At the moment I only have ATI 9550.
My only hope is to wait for Brian's help!

Posted Tue 09 May 06 @ 11:00 pm
I haven't forgot about you guys I will post my settings as soon as I see them which will be Fri.

Posted Thu 11 May 06 @ 10:05 pm
Brian thanks! I contact with the support team of Virtual DJ but nobody replied me!

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 3:23 pm
54%