Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: sick and tired of all the random crashing - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djtybPRO InfinityMember since 2005
well, I've just about had it with theis program randomly crashing on me.

if ANYONE here can give me info or help me troubleshoot why/what's happening, that would be great.

I honestly dont know where to start. It just randomly crashes - sometime when I drop a VOB file onto either side. Sometimes in the middle of playing a VOB file, hell, last night it crashed while playing a simple mp3 file.

Here are my hardware specs
Athlon 64 3000+
1GB DDR400 ram
3 x 250GB sat-a 150 hard drives
evga 7800GT PCI-E video card with 512MB ram
windows xp sp2
m-audio delta 1010LT sound card - latest drivers off their site

I dunno - I can only get on the mic so many times and make fun of how crappy windows computers are only so often at a middle school dance. When the mp3 file froze up this Saturday, it happened to be during my last song at the club - but it was in front of 500+ people WTF!!! - This is just getting to the point of where I am TERRIFIED of using this program.

I should add that when it freezes - it makes a fast audio stuttering sound - sounds like a typical windows sound/proggie crash.

I hope I can get some help here.

Thanks.
DJ Ty

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 7:40 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
It's definitely windows problem.

1. check for viruses
2. check for updates
3. check for lastest drivers of all computer's components
4. check your ram if working right
5. try to optimising your system (see my blog)
6. LAST chance - reinstal the windows

you should test your setup at home before go to gig.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 9:16 pm
I love how every single person who ever has a problem on here always gets the "it's your system, not the software" finger pointed at them.

I have no viruses - this machine isnt connected to the internet - plus I ran a NAV scan on it to be sure.
All drivers are updated.
Windows is updated.
I will try some of the suggestions in your blog - thank you.

As far as testing my rig - it's been tested for HOURS at home. That program NEVER ever crashes running internal/automix mode - it seems to become wildly unstable as soon as I start controlling it with TCV/or TCCD.

Last case scenario - I'll kill the windows install and start from scratch....not really what I want to do, but hey, I'll take one for the team if I have to.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 10:08 pm
Erratic crashing is usually caused by a driver error or a badly configured bios.

Here's a general windows performance tip: You have 3 harddrives so move a static pagefile 1.5x the size of your system ram to one of those. If NAV is Norton, that is the moast bloated system utility you can imagine, it's a real resource hog. How many processes do you have running when using Virtual DJ and ram available?

Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESCAPE then click on the performance tab. Best to take a screenshot of that.

Posted Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 10:16 pm
I have optimized system at home and works well with TC. I really don't know the reason why it should be software problem.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 8:49 am
21gramsPRO InfinityMember since 2005
@ xeon- i hear you man i have had endless instability with vdj and i have a perfectly clean fast system, I have tried doing just about everything but the program is just too unstable. Would be nice if version 4 worked correctly because way too many people are having problems with stability. I payed 150 $ for a software download, essentially nothing physical and its an embarrasment to use in front of people. On top of that i cant sell my license? wtf ? Unless this program improves (because there is nothing F'ing wrong with my computer) it was a total waste of money. The mere fact that so much system tuning must be done to run program that takes very little cpu processing is a joke... Its not programmed to be solid enough with tcvs.. for no Ima use my cd decks and purchase an efx 1000 for effects. Hopefully the software will improve.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 6:18 pm
A lot of people say there's nothing wrong with their systems because they can browse the internet, download countless torrents and listen to winamp at the same time, this isn't the way to test if you have a stable system.

Virtual DJ does take up lots of resources, of course it does. An 80 minute CD is 700mb of data, so if you load to tracks of length 8 minutes each, you need at least 140mb of ram just for that. The real amount needed will be more because Virtual DJ has to decompress the file, possibly analyse it, and whatever else that VDJ does that makes it so great. So for arguments sake, let's just call this a minimum of 180mb of physical (not paged) ram is required at all times.

Running other programs, explorer, firefox, norton (this is notorious for being a resource hog) also require memory. To compensate, windows will page certain processes. By default windows uses a variable sized pagefile which worsens things even further. Users really need to provide more information if they need help diagnosing their systems, even if they believe them to be 'perfect'. Take a screenshot of the systems performance and processes sections of the windows task manager whilst Virtual DJ is closed and post them here. Even better, post a log using a program called HiJackThis. Spyware infestations may be a large factor in poor performance of Virtual DJ.

To really test a stable system, download the free program Prime95 and run the 'In-Place large FFTs' Torture Test for a couple of hours (say the length of time you'd spend doing a gig with Virtual DJ). If you don't get any errors (i.e. the program is still running its cycle, it didn't abnormally end and your pc didn't restart or fry the cpu) then the problem may lie with Virtual DJ.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 6:47 pm
nice post Andrew :)
my TC at desktop computer run very very well and i don't have so powerful computer. Just 2GB of ram and only 1.5 GHz Athlon

Posted Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 8:23 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
my old dj rig only had a athlon xp 2400 512mb of ram and a ai 9200se video card ....i was able to do videos and everything else with no problems .. everyone has a point when they say it might be a driver problem ....my home pc was never very stable..it was always crashing then i updated the drivers and it seemed to be fine afterward The software is only as stable as your version of windows or even the hardware aka ram sticks did u set your windows up for performance? or just to look pretty? also are u running any other programs at the time? andrew is right about norton. i dont have any anti virus or for that matter any other programs on my dj pc but VDJ and some codecs. All my updating and music is done through my home pc and then sent via ethernet to my dj pc after it has all been checked, after all if it's your money making dj pc there shouldn't be anything else really on it but your media files and the program or programs to run them. (by the way my old dj rig still works great it just didn't have sata slots for extra drives)

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 12:11 am
21gramsPRO InfinityMember since 2005
hmm i seem to be getting much better performance.. i changed the u46dj from 48khz to 44 which results in much more latenancy but the songs dont really skip.. I played with it for only 40 min so im not sure but this change of Khz is done along with me disabling all network adapters in the laptop. The only problem i still encountered was with loops when using having a song looping 4 beats and mixing it into another song the loops turned off and song continues. Ive noticed this before and id say it only happens 5-10 percent of the time, but still it is mighty annoying not having things go your way.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 4:36 am
I have a Inspiron 6000, 1.6ghz processor, 2gb ram, 80gig hard drive but i have most of my music on a 250gb external usb hard drive, a 128mb ATI graphic card. The only time I've had lockups is when I use a user made skin. I've also noticed that as my unit get hot, so does the lockups. I've had problems with the vinyl scratch skin locking up with I put a track on. I started just using the default skins and have had no problems since. That's my 2 cents

Posted Wed 26 Apr 06 @ 9:29 pm
Norton is a pain in the arse, cause even if you get rid of it, it is still there in the registry. I still have problems I am ready to do a clean install of XP Pro and stay off the internet, however I have only had 1 crash in the last 10 times using the software.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 9:01 am
It can stay in registry, but it doesn't do anything. There are just information of it. You can clean it from registry manualy, do not need to reinstall windows.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 11:41 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
get yourself a registry cleaner program like regclean expert. i usually like to do it manually to make sure

Posted Thu 27 Apr 06 @ 3:43 pm
Well, it's been a while since I have been here. It was suggested that I go reinstall a clean copy of windows, make sure my drivers are all up to date, etc, etc, etc

So, I did all the above listed instructions.

All that is installed in Windows XP SP2 and virtual DJ.

All drivers are updated to the latest possible. No anti virus loaded. Page file is moved to a storage drive and is set to 5GB - 1.5 times the size of my ram.

I finished reloading software last Saturday - I loaded up ever single VOB file I have and set it to automix - and it has since last weekend. No issues, nothing.

Took the box to the club tonight and in front of 500 people spinning video - it locked up again - with the ear cruching stutter sound and windows was frozen.

Thankfully I had scratch LIVE and my laptop in the booth as well. I quickly loaded a track in internal mode and hit play - I've been using it ever since tonight.

So, i dont get it - I am using v 3.4 of virtual DJ - this is very frustrating indeed. Also, I bought brand new ram - its corsair high quality ram.

ANY ideas or help would be great. I have a gig tomorrow evening that I am contracted to play video for and I am terrified to even bring it.

Any thoughts???? The quicker the reply the better. Someone mentioned BIOS config - anything to look for? I am pretty computer literate.

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 10:11 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i have a old 400 megahertz pc which i have tested it on!
it works just fine
as i have said before
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/49869/General_Discussion/Virtual_Dj_(simply_the_best)_.html
Virtual dj is the best!

so me thinks u need to defrag and remove any unessary programs and u might have spyware so run a scan as prementioned a fresh build of windows would be a good idea , and try to limit what you put on it as all files will slow the machine down slightly and the more files the slower it goes

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 11:05 am
Someone needs to read - thanks for the advice, but let me reiterate.

This is a CLEAN install of Windows XP Pro SP2. Virtual DJ v3.4.

NO spyware.

NO other programs

NO viruses.

All the hard drives ahev been defragged and I am running the Prime 95 torture test right now.

There must be something wrong with my machine - somewhere. It has a 550W Power SUpply - SAT-A Hard Drives - 2GB of Corsair ram, a EVGA 7800GT 512MB video card and an Athlon XP 64 3200+ Processor. It's PLENTY of computer. Anyone elsehave any ideas.

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 11:28 am
I should also add that when I tested it with the HOURS of video - I used the automix feature. Tonight at the club, I was using TCCDs and brand new Pioneer CDJ800mkII CD Players.

Is it time code control ???

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 11:32 am
ALso - Basic disk types, or dynamic disls for Virtual DJ.

FAT32 or NTFS - which format is best to use. Please advise.

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 4:56 pm
Not to be a pain, but it's funny that after I follow everyones instructions which point to that my computer is bad - and it STILL freezes - everyone's gone quiet.

What I find odd is there doesn't seem to be attentiveness from an official support team.

I am a beta tester of Scratch LIVE. I have seen how they support people.

I am totally willing to try just about anything at this point to make this software stable on my machine.

I would like to know if the drives where my videos are stored should be a "basic" volume formatted as FAT32 or a dynamic volume formatted as NTFS.

Should I re-burn my TCCDs?

Could a SKIN casue the sfotware to freeze?

Any Advice? Support staff?

Anyone need help testing v4? I'd LOVE to see if it will crash on my system.

Posted Fri 12 May 06 @ 9:57 pm
57%