Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Internal "Resolution" of the EQs and Pitch sliders

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I use an external controller (Hercules DJ Console). When for example using the faders or knowbs to adjust a decks EQ or Pitch I see that it has a "digital" stepping. Pitch has 0.1 steps (at least that´s what the default skin shows), and the EQ knobs also move in steps.

Now I wonder - is this just a graphical representation issue, or is VDJ actually stepping in this rather raw way? From defining some shortcuts I know that the values which are used in the background range from 0 to 8192.

Since I have external analog controls, will I be adjusting these values more precisely then the gui shows me?

Plain example: Rotating the external Bass-EQ knob just a bit will probably not make it rotate on the gui already.
Question: Will the VDJ internal value of the bass-eq already be adjusted? Or will it only change, if I move my external knob so much, that the gui will also show the change?

bye, Mike

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 10:37 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
the "rotating effect" on a knob is in fact a set of images that will simulate the movement. For example you can do a rotation in 16 images or 32. The more pics you have, the better the look of the rotation is.

Example : with 16 pics (16 ranges)

If you turn your knob on the console a bit, as you said, VDJ will adjust, but the skin's knob will not turn until you push the button 1/16 of the entire rotation. So the graphical representation is not representative of all the steps you can have inside VDJ...

If you want a knob to represent EACH vdj steps, it should be cut in 4096 pics or 8128. That's not actually possible.

Mostly the knobs are represented in 32 or 64 pics. It is enough to simulate a rotation movement, and it takes a lot of space in the skin's bmp.

To see in how many steps a knob is decomposed, just edit the bmp file of the skin, you will see sum pics suites that represent each steps of the knob.
This is just a skin issue, so don't be afraid.

Hope it was clear a bit...........

FRUiT94

Posted Wed 19 May 04 @ 11:08 am
Thanks for the info, Fruit. Since you do skins - here´s another question: Would it be possible to create a skin, which shows the actual internal numeric values, instead of the graphical respresentation?

Posted Mon 24 May 04 @ 12:47 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No it is not actually possible, but maybe in further versions it will?....

Posted Mon 24 May 04 @ 12:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)